WC games I've played

Well, he'd better have more than that
smile.gif
. The AI was far better (IMHO) in the older games.
The bitmap graphics, though they had limitations, gave the designers much more freedom with what the ships looked like.
There was lots of CGI, and speech took away the option of using one's own name.

And if he even thinks about saying that last one, I'll personally prepare the knives
smile.gif

But that's enough, really. Let's wait for him to reply, shall we? It might be interesting to see what he's got to say in his defence.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got me worm! Compared to the other Wing Commander games wc1's stoeyline just isn't any good. Like you my first game was Prophecy. I borrowed wc1 off a friend who said that the game was awsome. You can amagin my disapoint when I found that the game had literally no story at all and the grahics just plane sucked. That's my explanation people. Now my only question now is wether I get a blindfold for my execution or not?

[This message has been edited by Raider (edited February 22, 2000).]

<Prince Thrakhath-like voice> "Silence! My brethren, they are not warriors, but maggots!" </Prince Thrakhath-like voice>

Seriously though... There will be... No execution. Though your reasons are lame, they are to be expected of one so young and untrained in the ways of Wing Commander.

The story wasn't as developed as in the later episodes, but WC 1 nonetheless had story. And its add-ons, SM 1 and SM 2, had even more story.
As for the graphics, well...
<Artanis-like voice> "I know it's not 3D!" </Artanis-like voice>
But they were great. It just takes a while to get used to them. Still, some people like it, and others don't. You're missing out on a great WC experience though.

He's all yours Earthworm. Good things come to those who wait
smile.gif

On the other hand 5 years from now Raider might still be posting on this msg board and some other young, untrained person will be going "WCP sucked triple monkey ass!" and it'll be Raider doing the "young untrained" speech
biggrin.gif

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

People really shouldn't compare WC1&2 to today's game engines and graphics standards. This way they surely will be disappointed!
Compared to the games that were around when WC1 was released it was like a revolution in gameing, a milestone in gameing history.....!
Oh, I think I got a bit carried away there!
smile.gif
Sorry.

(looking carefully behind him to see if anyone noticed)

WC was the first space sim ever that actually had some kind of storyline.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Nighthawk: No, you're quite correct. It was a milestone. For the first time, the Felines appeared on our computer screens
smile.gif
. And the game spawned a huge following. That's all the more reason why we should never forget those first WC games.
It is also the reason why:

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Raider says: You got me worm! Compared to the other Wing Commander games wc1's stoeyline just isn't any good. Like you my first game was Prophecy. I borrowed wc1 off a friend who said that the game was awsome. You can amagin my disapoint when I found that the game had literally no story at all and the grahics just plane sucked. That's my explanation people. Now my only question now is wether I get a blindfold for my execution or not?

Well see, the engine in WC1 DOESEN’T SUCK! It’s just outdated, but it still looks great, there’s something great about those hand-drawn bitmaps that sometimes makes them better than those new 3D engines. And IMO it had more story than Prophecy. Oh, and it's Mr. Earthworm to you!

Quarto says: Seriously though... There will be... No execution. Though your reasons are lame, they are to be expected of one so young and untrained in the ways of Wing Commander.

You’re quite correct my prince, Raider’s just a newbie. He’s job: Master of the obvious and also the master of the wrong arguments.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 23, 2000).]

Quarto said:
Well, he'd better have more than that
smile.gif
. The AI was far better (IMHO) in the older games.

Well, technicly they're not, but since in WC1 and WC2 most of the time you're flying inferior ships <<cough>>Epee<<cough>>, and the your outnumbered. In Prophecy you're also heavily outnumbered, but at least your ships is superior most of the time.

The bitmap graphics, though they had limitations, gave the designers much more freedom with what the ships looked like.
There was lots of CGI, and speech took away the option of using one's own name.

Well, I don't realy care about using my own name, but you'r right. Also the fact that it doesen't use FMV made it possible to have many cutscenes, as demonstrated in WC2.

But that's enough, really. Let's wait for him to reply, shall we? It might be interesting to see what he's got to say in his defence.

Well, I waited, and his reply didn't show anything other than, The game doesen't have FMV like Prophecy and it doesen't use a latest 3D engine with graphic aceleration support so it sucks. Also notice that he only talked about WC1, meanwhile he called all old WC games *bad*. WC2's old, so is Privateer, so is Armada, so is Academy. Technicly all WC games are old.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Earthworm: (In regards to AI) Perhaps... but in the end, it doesn't matter how good the AI is, but rather how good it appears to be. And in WC 2, the AI appeared to be much better than in Prophecy. I remember going up against Kur, and thinking "Dang, this furball's good". Maybe it was because I was in a Rapier, but Kur was far tougher than Seether, or anything that the bugs throw at us.
In regards to Confed ships being inferior... *cough* Dralthi *cough*
smile.gif

You're right, btw. The newbie did not come up with any proper arguments. Still, we shall not beat him over the head with it. Rather, we'll teach him the truth
wink.gif

He he, everyone's better than Seether.
biggrin.gif

And the <<cough>>Dralthi<<cough>> is an exception, fighters like the Jalthi with it's four guns, or the Hhr'iss are very, very, very good.

The Jalthi has a completely unprotected rear, and is so slow that it can barely move at all. They're no problem; I always liked fighting Jalthi. It was easier to defend the 'Claw against them than against the Gratha.
The Hhriss on the other hand was a brand new, and most definitely superior fighter; or at least it seemed like it. We weren't really given the stats for it, were we?

The H'hriss! Oh man, when I think about them it still gives me nightmares!
smile.gif

I can still recall one particular mission that was really memorable.
It was a patrol, I guess. I just finished visiting all NAV points and my Raptor (?) was pretty much beaten up (no rear armor, shields generator frizzing on me constantly, damaged engine and only one or two guns left). On my way back, I had to cross an asteroid belt and guess what I found in there? Two of those H'hriss fighters! After about twenty minutes of intense dogfighting, I nearly gave up on that mission. Imagine my relief when those two fighters collided sending one of them into the path of an asteroid and leaving the remaining one heavily damaged. Well, this way I was able to kill the last one and limp home!

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

AS one of my lecturers says in regards to AI : It doesn't matter how good the AI really is, only external appearences count.

Well something like that.

Steampunk: That is correct. After all, an RI (Real Intelligence; read: normal person
wink.gif
) too, may be superintelligent... but so what, if (s)he acts like an idiot? And if that's the case with RI, than it must be even more so with AI.

How is the Jalthi a superior ship just because of its guns? The combination of lasers and neutrons really sucks-the rapier should have 3 lasers and 2 gatling mass, it would barely use more energy-but the gains would be well worth a couple points of energy per round.

When you can take out four Jalthi in a Hornet without taking serious damage, there could be some design problems-I guess I forgot I wasn't supposed to engage them.
biggrin.gif

Confed ships had less sheilds and armor, but their gun arrays were enough to negate that, and they usually had better missile loads.

The hriss isn't that tough, if I can beat one or two of them in a Dralthi with one gun tied behind me-actually it was blown off-then it might not be so terrifiing after all.

------------------
There's only one thing more accurate than incoming fire-friendly fire

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited February 24, 2000).]

Ah... don't mention flying against the Hhriss in the Dralthi. Please, just the thought gives me nightmares
smile.gif
. And what a struggle it was to keep that loser Jazz alive...

Hang on. Why did I bother? He was going to betray us anyway
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited February 24, 2000).]

That loser Jazz is no better a pilot than Spirit.
smile.gif
I wonder how he survived long enough to become Major. Must have something to do with his Kilrathi ties.

I actually tried to shoot Jazz down once and completed the Dralthi missions you fly with him alone.
biggrin.gif
How's that for a challenging mission?

The Dralthi's not that bad of a ship-you just can't get hit, you're usually outnumbered by superior ships, you can't eject, you don't have a great missile load, it's not very fast, and you don't have much visibility. Other than that it's a good ship.
biggrin.gif

Quarto said:
Ah... don't mention flying against the Hhriss in the Dralthi. Please, just the thought gives me nightmares
smile.gif
. And what a struggle it was to keep that loser Jazz alive...

Hang on. Why did I bother? He was going to betray us anyway
biggrin.gif

Actualy there's an easy way to survive the Hhriss while in the Dralthi and keep Jazz alive (like we want to, but if he dies that would just mess up the story). Order him to keep radio silence, and stay away from the Kilrathi fighters. The ones you'll need to fight are Jalthis, Dralthis, two Snakiers and some Rapiers, but no Hhriss. Just fly around the Hhriss, and you should be fine.

Death's Head says: And you don't have much visibility.

Not if you have the Kilrathi Saga version.
cool.gif
No more cockpits if you don't want them.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 24, 2000).]

Rapiers?? The only mission where you fight rapiers is where you are flying a raptor with Spirit-who is useless at the time because her fiance' was captured.

I like to have my cockpits.
smile.gif
The dralthi has those nice pipes running everywhere, a hole in the seat for a tail, and that funky video unit that sends a false image to the Kilrathi with codes.
biggrin.gif

Back