WC games I've played

You should look for some older dos games like wc1-academy, they are low cost, and don't require much disk space. Besides that, they are fun. I like the dialog in WC2.

------------------
Don't look conspicuous-it draws fire.

And you should be able to get the help you need to get the games working from the Tech Forum. I did
smile.gif

BTW, what exactly is conventional memory and why did older games use so much of it? Like Priv1 uses more conventional mem than Priv2, and Priv2 is a more hardware demanding game (obviously).

Last edited by a moderator:
Conventional memory is the stuff dreams are made of j/k. It is the first 560k or so of memory the system uses to basically run startup files, drivers and so on, if I gather my recallection correctly.
I never really played P2 so I can't help you there.

------------------

That's good you've taken your first steps into a larger world.
biggrin.gif

While you're in the sim, see if you can complete level 6.
smile.gif
after 81 or so kills you're eyes begin to do this...
eek.gif

Have a nice day

------------------

steampunk: The first 640 kB of memory on your computer are called conventional memory. Older DOS games need so much of it because they usually cannot address the memory that lies above 640 kB although some of them (like WC) have a DOS extender that enables them to do so. (For congratulations about the memory design please contact MICROSOFT!
smile.gif
)

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Understand. Thanks. Everyday I find something I can blame microsoft for.

Another question:
What do the lines FILES=.. and BUFFERS=.. do precisely? All I can figure out is that the bigger the numbers are, the less conventional mem is left. I spent a half hour this morning trying to get Master of Magic to work. In the end I remembered something Stinger said about FILES and BUFFERS and lowered them to 20 (from 30) each. Got 7K back
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Thanks again to Stinger!

The FILES/FILESHIGH= statement specifies the number of files that can be opened simultaneously, the BUFFERS/BUFFERSHIGH= statement is telling the system to supply some amount of memory for data buffering when there is read access to the HDD drive, for example.
Of course, these statements eat up memory fast, especially when the values specified are high.
Well, one could always try to replace the FILES/BUFFERS= statements by their ...HIGH= equivalents. That will free some conventional memory and uses upper memory (which is located between 640 kB and 1 MB, not to be confused with extended or expanded memory which is every bit of memory that lies above 1 MB) instead.
Man, DOS is a science of its own!
smile.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Raider, are you just trying to start a fight? If so, please stop.

Otherwise, please explain your view, and then we can argue "till the cows come home" (what an odd saying). Remember, the more radical a view (and yours is utterly extremist), the better an explanation it requires.

He he, there’s something realy nice I’d like to say to Raider right now
biggrin.gif
, but I’ll control myself. Just one little comment, anyone who says that the old WC games suck because they have outdated graphics, or because they don’t have big ships <<cough>>Freespace<<cough>> is the one who sucks.

Raider, if you’re going to say stuff like that, perhaps you should get out of the BB.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Lets give him a chance to explain Earthworm
wink.gif

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

steampunk said:
]Lets give him a chance to explain Earthworm
wink.gif

Explain what? He comes to a Wing Commander BB, and says that the old WC games suck, and he doesen't even give a reson for that stupid statement.

OK, even if he only likes Prophecy, what in hell posesed him to say that the older WC games suck? I like Prophecy, it was my first WC game, but after I played WC1, and WC2, with their 10 year old graphics Prophecy didn't seem as good as before.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Well, I guess we'll have to wait for him to explain, won't we. And if his explanation is not good enough, we might just have to hack his quivering corpse to pieces, and then burn it, non?
smile.gif

But we have to do so in a nice way, of course. Otherwise, I'll have to start editing posts...

What I'm saying is, please don't yell at people just because they are poor, misguided souls. They can't help being what they are.

I doubt that he has any reasons other than: the AI sucks, the graphics suck, there's no FMV or CGI, they have limited speach, or no speach at all, and the best of them all: the capships aren't big.

Back