The long lost secret of Corvettes...

Uh, the Vind. A not so good versiong of the T-bolt.
smile.gif
Persoanlly, I bearly ever fly it. To bad we can't exchange those three torps for some missiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh? The Vindicator is far superior to the Thunderbolt. Not to mention that it looks a thousand times neater.

Oh, I agree that it looks better (but not a thousand times
smile.gif
), and the stats look better on paper. But it never performed that well in combat as the T-bolt did. At least for me. The main problem is that the guns are a little on the weak side, I'd rather have a Scatter gun, or a four Mass Drivers than than a pair of Lasers and Light Tachyons (the Leech and Stormfire are a nice bonus though).

Well, I liked the extra speed, and I certainly didn't mind getting more armour
smile.gif
. As for the guns, they're adequate. Though certainly, four Mass Drivers would be much better.

It's AB speed is slower though. And yeah, the extra armor is nice, which is why I think it should be a heavy fighter (even more so because of those torps and a rear turret), but it just doesn’t seem to be as effective as the T-bolt. Though at least it beats flying some of the fighters from the WC4 novel.
smile.gif

The Vindicator for me is far superior to the Thunderbolt. While the Thunderbolt is a comperable fighter, I have the feeling that the tighter handling and higher speed of the Vindicator could take a Thunderbolt with almost no problem.

As I recall, the Thunderbolt isn't quite as fast, and doesn't handle as well, being a heavy bomber and all.

------------------

§

The T-bolt is a heavy fighter, not bomber. It's manuverebility is exactly the same as Vindicators, and it's top speed is about 20 klicks lower IIRC, but T-bolt has faster afterburners by about 50 klicks.

Saturnye: If you want to find out which is the better fighter keep playing WC4. You'll soon have the opportunity to take on the Thunderbolt with a Vindicator.
It hacks me off that Confed would sell Thuds to pirates and other private operators. I mean giving them a capship nuking torpedo bearing fighter seems like overkill for these private groups.

Well, by your reasoning the Banshee is better than a Dragon than?
smile.gif

Anyhow, Confed would never sell a fighter like the T-bolt. It's fairly new at the WC4 time, and it's an excelent ship. Second, Confed would never sell anything to the pirates. They either disabled individual fighters and "borrowed" them, or overtook some transports with them.

Earthworm: Huh?? Um what I meant is why would Confed give a fighter with a torpedo to pirates/private groups? I mean that's like selling B-52s and cruise missiles to every Tom, Dick and Harry with enough cash flow. Since as you've stated they didn't, forget it.

Banshee better than Dragon? I honestly don't follow that statement
confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Penguin (edited October 05, 2000).]

Penguin said:
Um what I meant is why would Confed give a fighter with a torpedo to pirates/private groups? I mean that's like selling B-52s and cruise missiles to every Tom, Dick and Harry with enough cash flow.
I know what you meant. So I answerd your question, Confed wouldn't sell it.
smile.gif

Banshee better than Dragon? I honestly don't follow that statement
confused.gif
It's called sarcasm.
smile.gif
You can't find out if the Vind is better just by flying against a T-bolt controlled by AI.

It's not that hard to beat a Dragon in the Banshee in a one on one dogfight, even on the harder difficulty levels.

I guess I tend to favour heavier ships - I always used the Avenger when possible, only using the Vindicator for those blasted ground missions. Never really liked the Banshee that much. Plus the leech guns on the Avenger seems stronger than the other two fighters.

Wha? The Scatter gun is a killer weapon. Banshees rule! And so do Bearcats!
smile.gif

Well, it always comes down to preference. I'm more into light or heavy fighters. Except the Avenger and Broadsword I never really liked bombers, and except the Rapier and Tigershark I never cared for medium, or multi-role fighters.

Though at least it beats flying some of the fighters from the WC4 novel.
smile.gif
Don't you like Scimitars?
smile.gif
I think the WC4 novel went a bit too far - I mean, it's perfectly understandable that the BWs would use junk, and that Forstchen wanted to highlight the desperation of the situation like that, but it would have been nice to see an Avenger, Banshee, or Vindicator every once in a while.

Quarto said:
Don't you like Scimitars?
smile.gif
Oh, I do. I just recently finished WC1 again, and the Scim was better than ever. I can take out 4 Dralthis in under 30 seconds with those MD's. I'll take the Scim any day over something like the Hornet. But against the Confed and Black Lance fighters of that era it wouldn't stand a chance.

I think the WC4 novel went a bit too far - I mean, it's perfectly understandable that the BWs would use junk, and that Forstchen wanted to highlight the desperation of the situation like that, but it would have been nice to see an Avenger, Banshee, or Vindicator every once in a while.
Actually considering that like you said, the BW should be using junk, the BW fighters from WC4 seem to good. The Banshee is better than the arrow, on on most ocasions the Hellcat. The Vindicators stats are practicly similar to the T-bolts and on some ocasions better, and the Avenger is like a lighter, but more effective version of the Longbow. How could the Union of Border Worlds have such good ships?

But against the Confed and Black Lance fighters of that era it wouldn't stand a chance.
You're quite correct, though Border Worlders being what they are, it probably doesn't resemble the old Scim too much
wink2.gif

Actually considering that like you said, the BW should be using junk, the BW fighters from WC4 seem to good. The Banshee is better than the arrow, on on most ocasions the Hellcat. The Vindicators stats are practicly similar to the T-bolts and on some ocasions better, and the Avenger is like a lighter, but more effective version of the Longbow. How could the Union of Border Worlds have such good ships?
I don't know, but I wish they did
smile.gif
. Maybe the three ships are just "modified" ships from the war era? Considering that there's a huge gap between F-57 (Sabre) and F-103 (Excalibur), it's possible.

Quarto said:
You're quite correct, though Border Worlders being what they are, it probably doesn't resemble the old Scim too much
wink2.gif
Can you say a Scim with a corvette engine?
smile.gif
Yeah, I just bet that they’d have tons of crazy “upgrades and improvements”.

I don't know, but I wish they did
smile.gif
. Maybe the three ships are just "modified" ships from the war era? Considering that there's a huge gap between F-57 (Sabre) and F-103 (Excalibur), it's possible.
Well, it’s possible that they bulit them by themselves, modifying some other ships. Just like the Landreich got it’s own heavy fighter by modifying some very old design. For example he Avenger was a shuttle in the early 2650’s, and now it’s been modified into a bomber.

Back