The Alien wormholes

Quarto said:
If that had been a diversion... then the Confederation might as well surrender. Not even the likes of Casey will save them now
smile.gif

Speak for yourself. <begin Maniac voice>Some of us aren't just "fair" pilots. <end Maniac voice> J/K. Though, you did say that.......
wink.gif

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

[This message has been edited by Knight (edited March 28, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
LOAF, what kind of ships are we talking about in the Earth Defense Fleet? Anything specific? I recall reading something about it the Sol force, but where was it mentioned?

Holding a fleet back at Sol is a wise decision, after all Confed is pratically run from Earth when the Assembly is in session, and Earth seems to be the cultural center of the quadrant.

Here's my theory....
1. Negative or Anti-energy would have essentially the same effect with matter and anit-matter, they would ahnnialate each other upon physical contact. So if what your saying with negative energy forcing the wormhole open then why aren't any ships or even particles of space dust creating severe explosions in space?

2. This is my idea, the wormhole is really a larger version of a standard jump point but i'm not sure if this on leads to another location in OUR space time continuum. I believe it leads to another dimension or another period in time. So i think that the Nephilem already harnessed enough power to create an innitial opening in their side of the wormhole and then sent the cooling towers in ahead of the innitial fleet to forceably keep the wormhole open. Then the Kraken Ship Killer comes and cleans all the crap in Kilrah.

3. Someone said that the Nephilem could keep the Stellar Accretion device open because of the binary star system in Proxima. If that were true wouldn't the accretion device suck alot of power from the stars that they would go nova or collapse before their time? And also there are many binary and trinary systems in the galaxy, that would mean the bugs could open a wormhole almost anywhere in the galaxy. Our sun Sol is an oddball by itself, there are very few systems with one sun.

------------------
Death is but a door, time but a window, I'll be back......

It's not really THAT much of an oddball considering Jupiter was close to making Sol a binary system. Our little system would have been a lot different today if we had a binary pair, we might not even be here now if it had been.

The Earth Defense Fleet is spoken of in the Wing Commander III novel -- we're told that all new carriers constructed after the Battle of Terra have been kept in reserve for it.

The Solar Accretion Device used the energy put out by the two stars -- it didn't cause the stars to put out more energy. Thusly, it's business as usual as far as the actual solar energy dyamics...

Erm, and who the fudge taught your astronomy course
smile.gif
? Binary star systems are the exception to the norm -- Sol's single star is perfectly normal.

Confidential to DH in the CZ: Just because something happens in '2010' doesn't make it real. Or close to real.
smile.gif

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

Methinks that to have something like Confed in the future, we'd need something like the W.E.C. about now...
smile.gif

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Klaus: It won't happen. Trust me... I study IR (no, not Image Recognition
smile.gif
... and not Infra-Red either
smile.gif
).

Oh, perhaps then we'll pile up on this planet until someone(government) decides there's no more room left and relases some sort of bioweapon to "clear out" the other nations on the globe...

Anyone remembers that comic book where a part of the eastern hemisphere disappeared in a mishap with teleportation experiments and south america was wiped out by a "accidental hit" with a bioweapon. It was called Gilgamesh or something...

smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Quarto said:
Anagram: No, it was definitely massive
smile.gif
. There were several carriers, plenty of destroyers, and a few cruisers to boot... not to forget the two Kraken, of course
smile.gif
. If that had been a diversion... then the Confederation might as well surrender. Not even the likes of Casey will save them now
smile.gif

Oh, I agree that it was massive. I just think there's more on the way. Or, at least, there would be more if OSI got another Prophecy together. And if there was a wormhole the bugs controlled both sides of, we'd be facing extinction. They're efficient them bugs.

And I wouldn't want to be Casey when he gets told to fight them. (Big Grin) Although I'd do rather well!!

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we riffle through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

LOAF, actually jupiter at one time was close to becomming a star, a VERY long time ago. Hehe maybe I should write my library to reshuffle some nonfiction to fiction.

Ice Viper said:
Here's my theory....
1. Negative or Anti-energy would have essentially the same effect with matter and anit-matter, they would ahnnialate each other upon physical contact. So if what your saying with negative energy forcing the wormhole open then why aren't any ships or even particles of space dust creating severe explosions in space?

Because negative energy is NOT "anti-energy". There is no 'opposite' of energy. If there were such an 'opposite', that would mean that energy could be neutralised and then what would energy be made out of? Negative energy is is a result of a region of space having less than 0 energy.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

steampunk said:
There is no 'opposite' of energy. If there were such an 'opposite', that would mean that energy could be neutralised and then what would energy be made out of?

There are opposites to protons, and electrons. There are opposites to quarks, etc. If there are opposites to the components of energy, then there can be an opposite to energy.

------------------

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Grr.

Plasma can be positively or negatively charged ionic gas I think.

Antimatter seems to have reverse charges as matter and there are many, many radioactive subatomic particles, and nuclear forces at work too.

There are many forms of energy, electrons provide electricity, and as far as I know we already have used positrons.

Protons are used in a few ways if I recall, and there are negatrons I think.

Anagram said:
There are opposites to protons, and electrons. There are opposites to quarks, etc. If there are opposites to the components of energy, then there can be an opposite to energy.

Yes but anti-particles are just particles with an opposite charge to their matter counterparts. They are still made of the same thing. Energy. Saying that, you've got it the wrong way round, energy is the sole component of all matter. And s'pose there was an "anti-energy", then we'd be able to neutralise energy. Hence we'd be able to destroy it. And you can't destroy energy, only convert it.

Death's Head: Strangely enough, I believe anti-protons are still called anti-protons. I think they should be called negatrons if only to compliment positron, but I've never seen or heard the term negatron being used anywhere.
------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

[This message has been edited by steampunk (edited March 30, 2000).]

Anti-energy can exist. The law of conservation of energy states that the net change in the amount of energy in existance (including matter) must be zero. If anti-energy (or anti-matter) is created, an equal amount of energy (or matter) is also created. Since the anit-energy balances out the energy, the net change is zero. I recall black holes having a similar feature, where matter/antimatter particles that spontaneously appear and would normally annihlate each other are seperated by the event horizon and continue to exist, even if one is sucked into the black hole. This supposedly explains the jets of antimatter originating from some black holes.

No kidding? Interesting. I thought they just gave off Radio waves. Or was it Gamma waves?
frown.gif

Yeah, I remember Hawkings (sp?) explaining that phenomenon...

------------------

How did the bugs know that placing the wormhole on the anomaly would lead to Kilrah?

As for the supposedly massive bug fleet waiting on the other side of the wormholes to wipe us out - I think we can handle them. There may be a lot of them but remember that two Confed carriers nailed their diversionary or expeditionary force with "nary a scratch."
We also now have the Fleet Plasma Cannons which can also be used to even the odds. And if that fails a large force of Vampires, Wasps & Devastators can carve up a sizeable chunk of the bug fleet.
Remember that skilled pilots saved Confed once & they'll do it again.
Also if it was impossible to win then what would be the point in playing in the first place?

Chernikov said:
I recall black holes having a similar feature, where matter/antimatter particles that spontaneously appear and would normally annihlate each other are seperated by the event horizon and continue to exist, even if one is sucked into the black hole. This supposedly explains the jets of antimatter originating from some black holes.

It's called 'Hawking Radiation' Very difficult to detect, and very improbable, because very few particles jump into being exactly on the event horizons of black holes.

------------------

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Back