Stop the madness.... Please!!

Mad Hatter

Spaceman
This situation is becoming very tedious:
Every Newbie that comes to this site and sees the ranks, loses his head over how to increase his.
It was kinda funny the first or second time, but has gone from ridiculous to very annoying since.
You must do something about it, I know it`s nice to see an officer`s rank beside your name and watching yourself get promoted over time, but this is crazy. I`m a 1st lieutenant, so what? big deal. it doesn`t mean anything besides the fact I`ve posted between 150 and 300 posts, that`s it.
You don`t order people around with your rank (except Mods & Admins, of course
smile.gif
), so there`s nothing really special about it.
Measures must be taken to prevent every second topic from becoming a debate on how to increase your rank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to alieniate the "newbies" or anything, but I agree-- maybe these ranks do more harm than good.

Perhaps there should be a disclaimer before people enter into the CZ.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

the ranks are good, it brings a nice touch to the CZ, maybe if the staff put that kinda info in the read me, or in the first e-mail they send to new members, it would be better...

just some ideas, but keep the ranks!

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Realy WC fans support the WCSCRP

I don't want to be too out of my league here, so if something I say is rediculous, let me know.

Perhaps, there could be a disclaimer, like Dralthi5 said, before anyone enters the chat zone.

Or, maybe, make it so that you MUST enter the chat zone via a password page. Instead of just needing a password to post, use the password to gain entrence to the posting board. Also, put your disclaimers and warnings on that page, so that everyone who enters WILL see them. Then, if they don't follow the rules, ban them, from posting or from the chat zone area or something like that.

Just my thoughts,

DeltaKiller

Ranks...not that I am aginst them or anything but I dont see what good they do, I mean all the newbies will want to do is make it to to two star and instead of posting useful info they'll post stupid shit and waste space. Having the ranks is a cool idea and all, but if newbies are going to post BS messages (like the debate on weather Blairs dead or not...that gets old) then they should be banned, someone needs to monitor the page and find a way to block them, even if it takes some major recoding.

------------------
"We're gonna blow some shit up and burn some shit down, some of us may not come back and to those who don't I say thank you for the effort and hope you like hell..."

Jake "Psych0" Spaid

PsychO, there already are people watching. I'm watching.

<Spooky music>

All the time...

As for the other ideas... no, requiring a password to enter the zone is not a good idea. That would essentially close the place off from newbies. And not all newbies are brainless fools. Just most of them.

PsychO, Aren't you a newbie?

Quarto, there is a new type of newbie. Newbies that atack newbies for being newbies.
smile.gif

------------------
Robert "Meson" Stukowski

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Maybe Psych0 is a newbie-wanna-be-er...-not a newbie? (ok, so that may not be a good one...)
The first time i see a newbie telling other newbies what to, or not do.

------------------
Only a complete fool is absolutely sure about what he says
Are you absolutely sure about this?
Yes, i am...i mean...do'h

The CZ rules are displayed before you can sign up, and most new posters don't give the impression they've read them
cool.gif
. Maybe an announcement thing explaining the ranks, like the Rules and Regulations would be a solution.

Last edited:
Rules & Regulations aren`t the only thing they don`t read. If they had even bothored reading the names of the topics, it would cut down by 90% all the posts about ranks.

What we need is some kind of banner or something, that would be the first thing that you notice before posting, which warns not to post about ranks. Maybe a picture of a naked girl saying "don`t ask about ranks" would do the trick.
smile.gif

Announcements... if you have two of them, will the titles for both be shown? Because I don't think we're quite ready to get rid of the Rules & Regs announcement just yet
wink.gif

Alternatively, you could update the FAQ... no, wait. Nobody reads that, either.
smile.gif

Mad Hatter: Hah. They still wouldn't notice the writing.
smile.gif
And even if they did, they'd ask why they're not supposed to post about ranks.

Anyway, look at the bright side. At least they don't ask about WC Online any more
smile.gif

There are about 5 UBB message boards such as these that I post on. On most of them people like being on the highest posters.

Well... I can see how people all want to be higher up in the ranks, and that sort of thing... Hell... On the UBB my dad visits, he's already a 'higher rank' than I. I don't care. The ranks are just filler in the left-side of the post. I could care less, but it would take effort.

And concerning the R&R and the FAQs... I check them before I register, and check back occasionally.

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

I don't think there's a limit on the number of announcements that can be displayed. It's probably worth a shot.

Quarto said:
Mad Hatter: Hah. They still wouldn't notice the writing.
smile.gif
And even if they did, they'd ask why they're not supposed to post about ranks.

Anyway, look at the bright side. At least they don't ask about WC Online any more
smile.gif

If you conceal her intimate parts with the message it might work.
wink.gif

And about the WC online questions? Well, let`s just say "The show`s not over till the fat lady sang"
smile.gif

Mad Hatter said:
What we need is some kind of banner or something, that would be the first thing that you notice before posting, which warns not to post about ranks. Maybe a picture of a naked girl saying "don`t ask about ranks" would do the trick.
smile.gif

Heh. Wouldn't that offend the one female we have here?
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back