skip the bull

You also have to remove his inability to fire missiles incorrectly. You're supposed to be reasonably close to your target to ensure success if you don't want them lighting off a bunch of decoys...

DECOYS?! THE REAL AIR FORCE DOESN'T USE DECOYS! WHEN I WAS IN THE AIR FORCE MARINES WE BUILT ENTIRE AIRPLANES OUT OF METAL ARGH argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh argh

YEAH WELL BACK WHEN I WAS IN THE SERVICE WE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE AIRPLANES, WE JUST LAUNCHED UP USING CATAPAULTS AND WOULD SHOOT THINGS AND HOPE FOR THE BEST SO CHECK YOUR FACTS YOU STUPID WUSS

somehow the idea of just primitively launching people into the air while they shoot at things from the air is quite humorous

I was really bothered when X-Wing games put decoys on fighters. :\

You can't claim the aim 9l is that great, im sure macguyver fooled one with only a biscuit, a hair pin and a bottle of lucozade... or something.

Seriously though, airforce one is a modified 747? you'd have thought a small, subtle plane would be the sensible thing to use!

One other comment, this guy apparently built airforce 1 and flew f15's and built missiles - holy crap, is he the only engineer in the USAF?

Seriously though, airforce one is a modified 747? you'd have thought a small, subtle plane would be the sensible thing to use!

That part is correct - Air Force One acts as a mobile White House, so it needs lots of space for staff, press, communications equipment, conference rooms, etc. It also has to be able to make intercontinental trips, which a small plane wouldn't be able to do.

That part is correct - Air Force One acts as a mobile White House, so it needs lots of space for staff, press, communications equipment, conference rooms, etc. It also has to be able to make intercontinental trips, which a small plane wouldn't be able to do.

They also needed to make sure they had room for enough cameras to document Harrison Ford's struggle against international terrorists.

But it's the movie that accurately predicted that a washed-up action hero and an annoying woman would someday run the country!

You probably shouldn't be that interested, since the story he's telling never happened. A quick Google search tells us that the F-14 has only shot down four other fighters -- none of them Syrian.
Hmm. While it's got nothing to do with either the original topic, or with this guy being an idiot, I want to comment on that second part. If the F-14 has only shot down four enemy planes while in US service, that means that the F-14 is probably the only American aircraft that, even though it wasn't produced for export, and has nonetheless managed to rack up more kills in a foreign (and hostile, since it's revolutionary Iran we're talking about) air force than in the American forces.

Trivial, I know - but somehow, I find that fact very remarkable.

Hmm. While it's got nothing to do with either the original topic, or with this guy being an idiot, I want to comment on that second part. If the F-14 has only shot down four enemy planes while in US service, that means that the F-14 is probably the only American aircraft that, even though it wasn't produced for export, and has nonetheless managed to rack up more kills in a foreign (and hostile, since it's revolutionary Iran we're talking about) air force than in the American forces.

I just recently picked up a book about the F-14 in Iranian Service. I haven't read it yet, but it looks really good.

What about Israeli F-16's?

What about Israeli F-16's?
Well, they have a lot more kills than the USAF F-16s (and so did Pakistani F-16s, actually), but unlike the F-14, the F-16 was not developed as a US exclusive. While the F-14's single foreign sale seems almost like an accident (though I'm assuming the lack of other sales wasn't a political decision, but simply a lack of interest from other nations), the F-16 was an international project from the get-go - it was chosen in a competition that included a variety of European fighters, and it was intended that the result of the competition would be sold to various other countries, and even produced overseas, as well.

I would think that something like the P-39 actually holds this record.

Back