skip the bull

In the past we've tried to kind of promote the cause -- but I think ultimately it's a lot cooler as a social thing, a time to get together with the rest of the squadron and hang out like ordinary humans.

Anyway, we're planning for 2009! Stop by #WingNut, get to know the regular gang and so forth.

You know, I noticed this - I looked at the old threads and there seemed to be a lot more community planning in years past. I had the impression it wasn't as popular anymore. Thanks for clearing that up.

I keep saying it, but I really need to take the leap into #WingNut. 'New' tech often intimidates...

We skipped 2008 because people used their vacation time for the Mythic archiving project -- but we'll be back!

I usually refrain from commenting on this sort of thing, but this is just so rediculous. The AIM-9L could be fooled by the friggin sun. Are you just basing this information on other video games you've played? The biggest advantage to the AIM-9X is that it can be targeted using the pilot's helmet so that the aircraft doesn't have to be pointed toward the adversary. I can tell you, though, that no missile is 100% effective - especially one with an IR seeker. The AIM-9X is not fool proof.

If you're going to try and use 20-21st century information to support your position on why WC is flawed, at least get the historical piece to your argument accurate.

On another note, does anyone know the informal word for you, plural? And I think the Bible might be a reason why Thou can seem to be formal. This word is certainly often associated with religion, and everyone just assumes you would use formal language to address God. Good stuff!

OK children here are the facts. I am retired Air Force. I specialized in defense aircraft for the better part of 30 years. ELTEE have you even seen a fighter close up close or flown so much as the F-15 simulator? NO? Well I have. As well as other very notable planes like Air Force One. I built it. Well myself a about 200 of my closest friends. The basic plane being 747 was built in Everett Washington and flown to Boeing Military Aircraft in Wichita Kansas. There we tore it largely apart and made it Air Force One. We made 2 of them. It was actually a pain in the ass but back to your comments. The Aim9L could be fooled by the sun. Bullshit. To begin with the missile costs about $100,000 each and while the government has a history of paying big bucks for things like the proverbial toilet seat, a story taken out of context, weapons systems and their support are not one of them. The aim9L used multiple seekers for tracking its' target. It receives instructions from the pilot and locks on to a heat source confirmed by RADAR. After the missile leaves the rack, it is interested in 1 and only 1 heat source being the signature it was instructed to hit. Your assumption is based on 1960's technology that believed the hottest thing in the sky would be an aircrafts engine. That had obvious problems like shooting down your wingman. Not so with the Aim9L it was only tracking the source it was pointed at. You can drop 100 flares and it doesn't care. It's tracking the original heat signature. I guess if you drop enough flares you could "blind" the IR field causing the missile to lose lock at which point it self destructs. As for the aim9X having the most notable addition of being able to be aimed by the pilots head, well, bullshit. The pilot can indeed target a missile by simply looking at his target but that has NOTHING to do with the missile itself. It has everything to do with the ships avionics. The missile doesn't know or care how you acquired target, why would it? No the most notable PUBLISHED thing about the aim9X is a thing called thrust vectoring. You see while a flare can't fool our missiles they can be out maneuvered. This has always been a weakness. It's actually not very difficult to out maneuver a missile. A few twists and turns and job done. While it is not piloted making g-forces all but irrelevant, its' shape and the size of the control surfaces being small impede it. Thrust vectoring utilizes the missiles exhaust stream to steer the missile to target. I am not privy to the weapons tests but I'm real sure this changes everything. I've seen tests of previous versions while stationed at the White Sands Missile Range. In 1981 2 navy F-14 Tomcats were engaged by 2 Syrian Russian migs. I listened to the coms and when the migs fired the pilots were quite elated. You see under the Reagan administration the rules for engagement changed from phone home and ask instructions. It was getting our guys killed. The new rules:"If you are victim of or wittiness to a hostile act you will return fire." Each F-14 fired 1 aim 9 missile. 2 migs hit the water no questions no excuses. As matter of fact when the pilots of the migs saw our missiles leave the rack they ejected. The only reason they're alive. That's all the time I have for children I only got this far out of sheer boredom. You're a collection of misfits and outright failures at life. Unable to cope in a human social environment. Anti-social would be an appropriate word. Your whole world evolves around a video game and chat board. When that world is threatened in even the slightest perceptive way, you attack and ban the one responsible. Pathetic. Grow some balls buy a personality something. There really is more to life. Feel free to flame away now. I'll feel good about being able to make your day knowing how miserable you really are. I know, I'm banned. That's OK too. I won't be back.

Yeah, pity us losers who talk about what we enjoy. Someday I hope to register for forums for the sheer joy of elitism, flamebaiting, and general trouble making, then claiming to leave forever while watching the forum and waiting for fireworks.

"Hmm. These guys actually ban people. I wonder why they do that?"

Maybe I'm just all caked up right now, but this seems hilarious. Did some guy actually go off the deep end because ELTEE thought missiles worked differently than he did? And he ended his crazed rant sure *we're* the anti-social weirdos?

Did these things actually happen?

I'm also pretty sure he's neither the first pilot nor the first person to build commercial airliners to post to the CZ today.

I'm a big fan of military aviation so I found this post quite interesting until it fell into a horrible attempt at insulting people. I am not amused.

You probably shouldn't be that interested, since the story he's telling never happened. A quick Google search tells us that the F-14 has only shot down four other fighters -- none of them Syrian.

He's the first guy - no one else could possibly get so riled up about a mild disagreement regarding missile use.

You probably shouldn't be that interested, since the story he's telling never happened. A quick Google search tells us that the F-14 has only shot down four other fighters -- none of them Syrian.

Isn't the action he's talking about from a movie or something? I seem to recall some 80's movie having that scene.

Wow, a first for me at the CIC. Initially I was filled to capacity with humbling remorse - I thought maybe I had gotten my information mixed up and somehow managed to *offend* someone over the nationally sensitive topic of the history of the Sidewinder missile. But then I read the whole post and realized that, unfortunately, he's just an idiot.

He's completely wrong on almost every fact he cites, which is actually too bad. I love a good debate, especially about aviation! I hope he wasn't involved in the construction of the aircraft he mentions he was- he would be a liability risk. Funny thing is, I bet this guy has never even flown an airplane.

You know whoever it is is totally reading all of our comments. No one ever posts something like that without coming back to check on the carnage left behind.

I'm sure he's busy re-watching Top Gun as we speak so he can get the details right when he comes back to REALLY post for the last time ever.

I didn't even re-ban him, because I think I'll enjoy seeing that.

unless he is using MiG generically to mean bogey

And Syrian to mean bad guy.

Regardless, one questions the authority of someone who doesn't know who or what he was fighting.

Like back in the World War II when I faced off against a whole flotilla of Peruvian superfortresses...

Either that or the Gulf of Sidra incident of 1989 where two MiG-23s were downed. Maybe he's both technically and chronologically challenged! :D

It was in the US Navy Fighters manual, doy. Way to shatter my delicate -- dare I even say girlish? -- psyche by reminding me of this! My life is ruined because of a message board post!

I'm sorry to dreg this up again, but I really don't understand the original post in this thread.

Is he honestly saying that he enjoys the Wing Commander games and universe when you take the Wing Commander out of it and turn it into a generic space shooter with no story, plot, or character development?

I think that's what he was saying - but that's so unbelievable I'm having a hard time grasping that as his actual position.

Back