Screenshots Release Thread

hmm... that fighter lacks thrusters and engine trails...

Attachments

• thruster.jpg
    thruster.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 456
Tolwyn said:
thos shows that you have no modding experience... what use is a great engine if it is absolutely not moddable (look Starlancer or Freelancer) or where modding is simply too difficult (Wing Commander Prophecy). What use is a good engine if the only thing you can do is inserting Wing Commander ships? We have choosen the best engine for a mod up-to-date... Please, do not dig yourself a bigger hole then you already have...

Wait, wait. Back this up.

First - what hole?! I said Starlancer had missions more like WC than FS2 has. This is the truth! I never mentioned WCS in this reference.

Second, while I do have considerable modding experience in other games, I have none in any flight or space simulator (Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear/Ghost Recon for me) and I concede to Starlancer being hard to mod since I know absolutely nothing about how this is done. I appreciate the facts You portray but not the tone in which You portray them.

Please note I stay away from the whole FS2 sucks or no discussion. I was discussing the ability of making WC-style missions in FS2, which has nothing to do with the viability of the game or engine. As part of the Saga team I am sure the mod will be amazing to play - but I see that curiosity is punished rather than rewarded here.

In regards to the Cutlass' weapon allotment (those energy effects look great), they're lasers and photon guns, if you stuck with what was discussed a few months ago ;).

C-ya

Bandit LOAF said:
any sort of joke about them taking forever to be released is just a joke and nothing more.

Yeah, it's obviously a joke, since most of them never get finished!

[RIMSHOT!]

psych said:
Bob,
Not only was I able to point out various capital ships, squadrons, carrier names, and whatnot, I was able to check out the systems the TCS Victory had been on, trace their route through the CIC Universe map, and come up with a route on your home carrier to do missions that actually correspond and help out the Victory. The little things that implies teamwork, I took to full advantage.

It would be neat if someone took LOAF's sector maps and made a sort of situation map ... you know, with various fleet movements and locations, and there could be a little line showing the Concordia Battle Group's progress through WCII, for example, up through the destruction of K-Mang ...

Viper61 said:
In regards to the Cutlass' weapon allotment (those energy effects look great), they're lasers and photon guns, if you stuck with what was discussed a few months ago ;).

C-ya

Yeah, you've won the cookie. Check your /cookies folder. :D

@gryphon: Sorry, we didn't want to sound rude, but the truth is, Starlancer is as moddable as a dead cat compared to Freespace. The problem with the FS-style missions is not the nav-points, we could implement them esily, it's the lack of an autopilot which would make rather long and boring missions if we tried to do WCstyle missions ;) That and the simplyfied damage model are the only real differences I can think of right now. And maybe, some day we can have even Autopilot and a correct damage model if we find someone who can program C++ and has some spare time. :)

Right-ooo!

Bandit LOAF said:
Though we cannot ban unregistered trolls in the *traditional* manner, we can block their IPs from ever viewing solsector, crius and wcnews again. That's not really necessarily a warning, though -- afterall, "Unregistered" won't ever be able to read this. :)

It is time some known truths be said out loud.

WING COMMANDER was the first combat sim out there. Without it, well, I REALLY don't know what we would have today.

1. WC (In all its incarnations)
2. Freespace

Freespace is an attempt to improve that formula (and a good attempt, just because it is more moddable than WC engine.)

Does anyone aknowledge that?

Quarto's and Eder's job has served us really well and worth its weight in gold. FS Saga can only happen because of the modability of Fs2 engine. Had it not being that way (or had WC been more moddable) quite probably WC would have been chosen for that game.

Anyways, anyone talking dirt for Wing Commander, should be banned. It really feels like someone saying something ugly about my progenitors. :( Had it not been for this magnificent game, I probably wouldn't even own a PC by now. In fact, one of the main reasons I am sticking with win98SE is Wing commander. (the 1024*768 Patch is worth its bytes in gold!!!)

WC:Saga is a magnificent attempt to re-make WC in a better engine. It shouldn't happen. EA should release a WC with all modern graphic enhancements that was easily moddable as well. They chose sims. What can we do, given that ? Lars, Lynx and saga team who I will try to join, when my computer upgrade is complete chose Freespace. It can be re-made to be WC in a way that all those who hate Fs2, will NEVER need to feel that they are playing FS. In time, given all the modifications SCP team can/is doing, it wont look like Freespace 2 either.

So, in effect, I feel that they are trying to remake that long lost hope that WC can evolve beyond its EA-abandoned state. No-one in that team (from what I have seen), and certainly not myself, have anything but respect admiration, for Wing Commander.

As for me, to like, even love Freespace2, doesn't mean bad about Wing Commander. In fact Wing Commander Saga DOES bring the best of both worlds alive.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. As for the one banned, he was probably a Freespace fanatic that got what was comming to him.

Yeh, I'll try to implement the Gettysburg. But it'll on the backburner since I have tons of othert stuff to do. :)

Here's a Dralthi IV WIP. How do you like it? Any suggestions so far?
Dralth.jpg

BTW Tolwyn, you'll ahve to wait for the Thud textures a bit. I want to change some minor things before you get the final version.

Just how did you make that used-car-paint textures? They are FANTASTIC. Lynx, We owe you!!! As for the Gettysburg, I can take all the time in the world.

well said Andropolos.

As for the banned user: he is one of WCSaga members... ups, perhaps I shoudn't say that :D

Just wanted to thank you all for all the effort you are putting into the mod.
As someone who has neither the time and the expertise to do the excellent work you are doing(for free) I have the patience to wait and experience the result.
As a gamer all I want is the illusion of waging war in Space WC style :)
Here's to the best of both worlds!

WCSAGA goes 32 bit :D

Just wanted to say that the code monkeys implemented 32 bit stuff for the FS engine( T'was 32 bit before, but not stuff like textures, wepon effects and such) :cool:

Jup also read the news about the 32bit stuff..but heared that it also makes some troubles. We have to test it out bevor we can use it...or even make new textures and other 32bit effects.

@ Avisolo:
Great thanks to you. Hearing something like that is like music in our ears....or money in our pockets ^_^

Back