Screenshots Release Thread

I don't think that I can modify the old thunderbolt-model (the white one) to met
the other in detail. I could add some engine-cones, but that's almost the best I
can do, cause truespace (at least my version) don't allow much modifications
to this sort of modelfile. Although I can change it proportions a little, if necessary.

I would suggest to work on the more detailed version, and make 2 texture-variants,
confed and pirat. When opening both models in modelview and look on their tops,
the differences aren't too big, so I think it will be O.K.

Or do you want a MKI and MK II in the game ? That could at least explain the minor
differences, when we keep both models. Then the fatter one(low detail) is MK I and is
used in the WC3-Area, and the other one comes later in the WC4-Timeline. Just a
suggestion though, I don't want to mess around with some historical data here.

as already suggested in the developer forum we will scrap the fatter model. In the game you do not have time to look at the used mesh anyway, you will be afr too busy huntng down furballs... whatever :D

In our mustache-twirling evilness, we decided to use the new model instead of that one ripped from WC. Here is it:

Attachments

• Thud.jpg
    Thud.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 528
Lynx said:
In our mustache-twirling evilness...
The Vandals said:
Mustache is a symbol of repression and of hate
Never trust a man with a butt broom on his face
It's the facial marking of the man who holds you down
The source of all your problems, every city, every town
Stalin, Hitler, Schneider, just to name a few
Got to kill the mustache before it grows on you
[....]
:cool:

The new T-Bolt is 100 times better than that first one, and around 3.7 times better than the best T-Bolt I had ever seen. Congrats, Lynx. :)

but before this happens (hopefully Lynx can post some screenshots to satisfy you, Bob), he has MY approval ;)

Lynx said:
Here Bob, I made it just for you :p

Bah, I can't even see the nose right :p Still, it looks pretty good. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by the textures - they're perfect for a FreeSpace2 mod, but I just don't like FS2 textures all that much :\

Good job anyway :)

Bob McDob said:
Bah, I can't even see the nose right :p Still, it looks pretty good. I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by the textures - they're perfect for a FreeSpace2 mod, but I just don't like FS2 textures all that much :\

Good job anyway :)

Could you tell me the difference between FS2, FL and WCP textures?
They are all the same..well most Prophecy textures look like they have to much blur and are from a comic book, but thats how they are made.
I think you could also use the same textures like we do and otherwise. Only difference would be what look you like more.
Well its art....and you can always debate about art ^_^

Tolwyn said:
oh, btw, Bob, THIS texures are being used in the FL mod

They're better than the ones in place now, so I don't have much of an objection :p

FS textures have more hull lines, and those lines are emphasized more. In addition, they focus on rectangular and boxy forms, eschewing use of diagonals or other elements to break it up. They rely on dark greys and browns heavily. It gives FS its distinctive hard, realistic look, but I'm worried it might be too somber for the mod. I haven't seen Psych's writing, though, so I probably can't pass judgement. If it's similar to the self-consciously "epic" scope of most FS plots, it should be no problem. The other concern is the nebulas - "color balance" arguably isn't as firm in FS as in, say, Freelancer, since this was in the bold, experimental phase of things.

Regarding FL, the visual style is much the same for the Liberty ships, at least for the Star Blazers-ish capships - although they definetely have something of a 20s New York skyscraper Art Deco inspiration for their fighters, with their obsession over wedge elements, and all. The Rhino is probably the most Freespace-ish of the bunch. Bretonian ships are built to be utilitarian, but they have an element of whimsy underlining them - the manta-ray Crusader fighter, and all. Kusari ships are the most far-out - they have some of the most effective use of purple on a fighter, ever, and they seem to see their far-out paint and designs as a manifestation of their cultural personality - that a fighter can be artistic as well as effective (though their ships are probably the most ridiculous of the bunch if you really take time out to think about it). Rheinland is the gas guzzling, hard-hammering Germanic craftsmen - they build their ships hard, sledgehammer-y, but even they enjoy punctuating their designs with dramatic diagonal elements - look at the Rheinland gunship. Frost-Works is probably the most effective FL modeling studio - they generally extend the artistic style with extraordinary results - check out http://www.frost-works.com/ if you don't believe me.

This of course has little to do with my feelings on this mod's work in general. I think Lynx's work is effective, and that it is distinctive enough to set the mod apart - but only just. And this is the problem - the distinction between the great and the really great. I'm not dissing Lynx's designs, they're certainly a helluva lot better than anything I or most anyone else in WC could probably do - but they seem to lack a certain character to them. This is appropriate for military ships of course, but it just seems like they don't live up to their potential.

Look at the Ferret at the beginning of the thread, for example. This is one of the few exceptions - the stripes on the front of the nose help set it apart from the crowd - not a whole lot, but enough. And it works. To me, maybe the biggest complaint with the newer ships is that the textures are too boring and plain - which works for Freespace and Freelancer, but independently? I don't know. It seems paradoxical. because the newer ships have 180% more color than the Ferret - but maybe they simply highlight the difference? I have no problem with this muted, monocromatic ship (http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~hamano/FS/herc301.htm) - so why the jump? Maybe the hull is too busy, or the contrast too great?

This is just my opinion, and a rambling one at that, but I thought I should make my points clear(er). I'm not a big fan of the Freespace-ey textures in general, and I realize that's what you're going for here - but I felt I needed to say something.

Bob,

When I was asked to help the WC Saga Team write the campaign script, I went back and looked over all the material that had to do with WC3. I read the novel, went through the gaming script, checked up the CCG squadron listings, read the official WC3 manual, looked at the official "Making of WC3" CD, got everything about WC3 that I could get my hands on.

Not only was I able to point out various capital ships, squadrons, carrier names, and whatnot, I was able to check out the systems the TCS Victory had been on, trace their route through the CIC Universe map, and come up with a route on your home carrier to do missions that actually correspond and help out the Victory. The little things that implies teamwork, I took to full advantage.

To tell you the truth, I find the FS2 engine really irritating as far as writing the mission script is concerned. The reason is the freaking no autopilot and no nav points. It really cuts down on the possibilities to expand the missions. Can't do patrols around 3 nav points or check three nav points in search for a Kilrathi Recon-In-Force group because you are stuck in one goddamn area! So every mission implies a direct confrontation will take place.

To be perfectly honest I have always wondered why You chose FS2 for the mod, to me it doesn't exactly seem analogous to the WC style of missions... Starlancer I would have understood far better.

Well Mission scrpiting is a little bit different from WC..but to I wouldn't miss these fly around to a nav point after another just to know that the enemy will apar at the last one. (mostly)

Beside that you can "make" waypoint missions..they are just different...do a red-allert mission where you can combine different missions. That way you can also add a small chatter between the navpoints jups...like you see it in the WCA-serie.
They where always bored from patrol missions...and from my view I would also be bored from missions where you just fly around without nothing else to do then flying to the next nav....maybe an asteroid field between...oh what fun.
I think its quite ok to have more "action" mission.

To bad that you can't read my storyline and scripts...think that would realy help me, cause you have got aquite better overfiew about the WC story and your writing is also good.

gryphon said:
To be perfectly honest I have always wondered why You chose FS2 for the mod, to me it doesn't exactly seem analogous to the WC style of missions... Starlancer I would have understood far better.

thos shows that you have no modding experience... what use is a great engine if it is absolutely not moddable (look Starlancer or Freelancer) or where modding is simply too difficult (Wing Commander Prophecy). What use is a good engine if the only thing you can do is inserting Wing Commander ships? We have choosen the best engine for a mod up-to-date... Please, do not dig yourself a bigger hole then you already have...

please, do not start that again... oh yes, I remember the huge thread started to promote WCS... as usual it ended in the rip discussion (especially you should know what I mean)

Since LOAF is one of these "modding unexperienced" people you can ignore him.

Back