Ranks in WC Universe

gryphon

Spaceman
I've been wondering for eons why the rank Major General is ranked higher on this board than Liutenant General, which in reality is the higher of the ranks, Major being a two star and Liutenant being a three star general... Why is that?

TC is right, In the WC III PC Manual is states that Major-General is higher than Lieutenant-General

Poulton said:
Major is higher than lieutenant, but Lt.General is higher than Major General?
All sounds barmy to me!!

I think it stems from the fact that their is an Lieutenant Colonel after Major

TopGun said:
I don't think so. A lieutenant colonel is a colonel, and not a lieutenant. Majors are higher than lieutenants in every rank system I've ever seen.

Yes, but Lieutenant Generals outrank Major Generals everywhere except Wing Commander because some civilian didn't bother to check when they wrote the Victory Streak.

Ripper said:
Yes, but Lieutenant Generals outrank Major Generals everywhere except Wing Commander because some civilian didn't bother to check when they wrote the Victory Streak.

I don't think some civillian really cared, since this is about 700 years in the future. :D

Besides which, someone high up could catch a wild hair any minute and pass a bill to change the order of our ranks in this real world military of ours. Enjoy.

Ripper said:

I believe the guy who did VS served in the US Army.

TopGun said:
Actually, I think it stems from the original meaning of the title 'lieutenant' (which in French means, quite literally, 'placeholder'). A lieutenant was somebody's second-in-command - so, your basic lieutenant was a captain's second-in-command, a lieutenant colonel was a colonel's second-in-command, and a lieutenant general was, unsurprisingly, a general's second-in-command.

Let me set the record straight.

The word lieutenant DOES mean placeholder, and is usually placed directly below the full rank, i e lieutenant commander, lieutenant colonel, lieutenant general.

Major General however does NOT stem from the rank Major!

The original name of this rank is SERGEANT MAJOR GENERAL. The word "SERGEANT" was dropped some years ago but the place of the rank remains. Anyone suggesting otherwise is simply ignorant of military history. Therefore, ethymologically and logically, lieutenant general must outrank major general since it must be placed immediately below the full general.

gryphon said:
The original name of this rank is SERGEANT MAJOR GENERAL. The word "SERGEANT" was dropped some years ago but the place of the rank remains. Anyone suggesting otherwise is simply ignorant of military history.
Hmm, reading your post, one would be excused for thinking that somebody had in fact suggested otherwise :p.

Well I was simply referring to Poulton's post whch suggested it was illogical that a Major outranked a Lieutenant but in General ranks the roles were reversed. I wanted to illustrate that that's not the case. The offensive nature of my post is urelated to this discussion.

Quarto said:
Actually, I think it stems from the original meaning of the title 'lieutenant' (which in French means, quite literally, 'placeholder'). A lieutenant was somebody's second-in-command - so, your basic lieutenant was a captain's second-in-command, a lieutenant colonel was a colonel's second-in-command, and a lieutenant general was, unsurprisingly, a general's second-in-command.

That could also be said about Lieutenant Commanders

gryphon said:
The offensive nature of my post is urelated to this discussion.
Not offensive, though it did seem oddly aggressive, considering that nobody had made the specific claim you were correcting :).

"Tomorrow on Jerry Springer! 'You brought your outside anger into our calm, quiet thread, and now my baby is a Nazi prosititute drugdealer'!"

Well, I've Had It With All Of You Bastards! The Scientific Name For The Giant Squid Is, In Fact, Architeuthis Dux!!!!

Back