Quality Assurance Version 1.0

Well, I guess for realism, you can keep the ambient lighting down. But it is hard to see sometimes. Could you just add another light source pointing forward from the front of the ship? Or would that make things look bad?

--Brandon Young

Acimus said:
For some reason I'll have to tap twice Ctrl-t before turret acquires the target?
The reason is that is not what ctrl-t is for. Ctrl-t toggles your turret ai on and off (and turning them on happens to give them your target). If you don't want to have to toggle them off then on to assign a target, use alt-t. that is what it is for. It assigns your target to your turrets without you having to 'reboot' them.
Alt-t doesn't seem to do anything, why is that combo there?
See above.

couple o bugs

Of course, great job to you guys on this project. I've been playing way too much. Three days and I already have a decked out centurion. That took me about a month in the original (of course I was also about 8 years old).

Since I like it so much I'm really frustrated by a couple of bugs that I haven't seen posted.

1) Fixers get replaced by broken fixers.

This has happened twice to me. The first time I was running a series of missions for a fixer out of the refinery in the Tingerhoff system. I think she was automatically generated since I don't remember her in the original. I ran a couple of the missions but when I got back the next time, she was gone and another fixer was there. When I clicked the fixer, I just got a very short message like "I accept. I accept." When I checked my active missions, I had a mission but there was no description. When I clicked the fixer again, all I got was "Reminder! Reminder!"

That sucked but no HUGE deal. However, the same thing just happened to me for one of Tayla's missions. I delivered the contraband to Hector for Tayla then returned to the pirate base in Telan to get the next mission. The problem was that Tayla was gone and replaced by one of those pirate fixers. This is a HUGE deal because now I can't do the plot.

2) Thrust enhancer causes acceleration to decrease

I bought a demon to replace my tarsus and was very happy to do it. I went ahead and bought a thrust enhancer for it, but that made the acceleration abilities even worse. When I looked at the description, it says "Increases acceleration by -88%" but I don't want to increase by a negative number, lol. I sold it but then my acceleration got even WORSE. I'm guessing that the first time decreases acceleration by 88% and then another 88% when I sold it. At any rate, it takes me about 25 seconds to go from 0 to 450. That was a real bear but I finally managed to sell it and get my centurion.

can you send your savegame with a lack of tayla please
privater *atsign gmail.com
*atsign = @
for us it always works

try docking again--

the pirate base is in pentonville, not telan...maybe that's the problem

Using 1.0pre5

Bugs:
- Sometimes when I buy a new ship there is cargo in it that I didn't buy.
- Turrets turn themselves off (or freeze) a lot, and often require several hits of CTL-t ALT-t to try and get them going again.
- my weapons fire gets absorbed by jump points. If I want to shoot an enemy inside a jump point I need to move in there with them.
- strange enemy movements, suddenly backwards or a leap upwards upwards. Not inertia, sliding, possibly not even strafing. Others have mentioned it and I have seen it as well.
- Is there supposed to be music? I get none.
- Do ECM's draw power? The hot key to toggle doesn't seem to work for me. To be honest I don't think ECM power drain would make the game more fun, only a little more 'busy' requiring the additional hot key.

Armor sections:
Did the original have so many armor sections? (I would check but can't run it anymore). I thought there was only front, back, left, right (like shields). If there are now more sections that might explain why so many people think the talons have become so resilient to torpedoes: you need to hit the correct section rather than just the same shield side. It also doesn't seem all that compatible with the armor display readouts (is just the minimum displayed?). Either way talons are not as slow and chunky as the original so hitting the same point will be more difficult. Not that I care since the combat seems a bit better than the original (though it does seem harder, even on the easiest setting).

Difficulty Setting:
Easier should be, well, easier.

Afterburners:
They don't seem to be afterburners at all. They seem only to be capable of increasing max speed without effecting acceleration. If I am below normal max speed and I hit afterburners it currently does nothing while still draining energy. Where is the energy going? In a dogfight while turning a lot there is no point using them. I think ship acceleration with afterburners active should be a fair bit more than when you don't use them (perhaps twice as much, or an amount relative to the max speed increase you gain over regular max speed). The 'forward thrust with afterburner' description in 'flight characteristics' for ships suggests it is changeable. It would certainly make dogfights more fun, and make sharp turns less suicidal (you could get back up to speed more quickly instead of being a sitting duck). I don't remember what the behavior was in privateer original, but in WC3 I think afterburners really did accelerate you a lot.

Mission descriptions:
Can missions be made to show their destination base (and the base descriptions of type and faction)?
I would like to see fixed cargo sizes on cargo missions before taking the mission. If there is insufficient space in my hold at present and I try to select the mission it should give a message saying 'insufficient cargo space' and still leave the mission available.

Automatic landing zones:
It would be nice if they became automatic after asking for landing permission and moving close, like the original game.

Auto Pilot:
Auto pilot to move closer to the destination (closer by 1/3 or 1/2 the distance perhaps, if no hostiles in the area). It's really boring (and was in the original) to sit and wait while you reach your perfectly safe destination, especially in the slower ships. In fact it's a disincentive to use slower ships and I don't think that should be the case since autopilot is supposed to take the tedium out of long travel.

Demons:
They have become the super light-medium fighter of the game (like a rapier from WC1), but perhaps shouldn't be. Why is it able to mount 4 heavy guns? Just a look at the graphics of it suggest that it has no room for it. Having limits on gun sizes makes ship design more interesting and variable. Do we really want to have every ship capable of carrying any weapon? Limits on the missile mounts have been actively used in design and I think using the gun size limits would be good. Which brings me to the demons in the available patch. I like the price (well, maybe a touch low) and gun limits on them (though I think the missile limits of the normal stock demon is better, and the hold should be more like 25 or 30). These ones make a great medium priced fighter once outfitted, possibly before something better.

Tachyon Gun:
I think it should be a medium gun instead of heavy. While in WC3 it was heavy, it always seemed like a high efficiency, high rate of fire medium weapon in Privateer.

Better turret behavior:
Turrets independent, utilizing ITS, fully automatic, only tries shooting at targets in its field of view. Perhaps some behavior could be as an upgrade.

Transferable weapons and parts:
I would like to be able to transfer my ship parts (or at least those that might logically be transferable) to a spare parts section (kind of like the 'my fleet section' but just for parts). It would save money (and more importantly my TIME trying to recoup the loss) over selling them to a dealer then buying back the same parts moments later (for full price) for a different ship.

Generic, specific and elite parts/upgrades:
I have only seen one ship specific part: a class five generator (or maybe it was a shield) for a Galaxy. Does this suggest the rest are generic? Ship specific parts (possibly rare, expensive, availability linked to missions or as pay, availability linked to base factions, limited locations etc) that give a ship higher capabilities than generic parts could add another dimension to ship development. Maybe even some higher cost generic (elite/miniaturized or whatever) parts that take less upgrade space would be good. Certainly I have seen these kind of parts on some of the military spec (or variant) ships (parts taking 0 space instead of 1), and if such parts exist I would prefer them as more 'official' parts rather than looking like bugs, glitches and cheats.

Cheap ships:
I would like a few cheap ships available early, without the need to finish parts of the main storyline beforehand. The tarsus is not much fun and it takes too long to get a different ship. It's an ultra cheap merchant ship, but I mainly like the fighting missions in a light ship (though that might change if really good turret behavior becomes available.) If I recall the orion used to be the cheap (though highly upgradeable) intermediate before getting a better ship (the centurion).

Combining 'specific parts' and 'cheap ships', perhaps talons should be available at the start of the game, and some special talon parts (perhaps level 2 reactor + shield) could become available (at pirate bases? do any have ship dealers?) after doing Tayla's missions.

Military Spec ships (and variants):
They have been buggy for me (too many to remember or list across both Linux 0.9d and 1.0pre5) (in terms of the equipment they come with, trading parts or repairing, performance etc.), and seem only to exist to get around the upgrade limits of the ship (I like upgrade limits in some form, for it adds variety and decision in ship building). I say ditch variants, (or simply make them 'package deals', with real parts bundled rather than magically integrated, inaccessible and taking no space). Better to have a variety of totally different ships with a regular upgrade procedure instead of dodgy varieties. See also my section on parts and upgrades above for a better way of getting around upgrade limits.

Cargo vs upgrade space:
If upgrade space can be converted to cargo space (using small and regular cargo upgrades) then cargo space should be convertible to upgrade space.

Hull + armor points:
Should upgraded hull + armor points be the same regardless of ship size and design? It seems only dependent on the material (plasteel, tungsten, isometal), but surely a 20 tonne ship should have less than a 200 tonne ship if the same material is used. Perhaps making the points relative to the ships base stats (if any exist other than 0) rather than absolute, such as plasteel being normal, tungsten 2x and isometal 4x. Ship armor weak points (like side armor for the demon) are also made irrelevant by the current system of absolute levels.

Variable size and mass of ship components:
I see there is a system in place for ship components to have variable upgrade space and mass, but these are not used much which is a shame (perhaps they are largely redundant if we only want a simple fixed number of upgrades with the upgrade capacity variable, which is an overly simplistic/unrealistic system that I don't really like). For instance a class 9 shield should take up more upgrade space and have a greater mass than a class 1 shield. In fact I think these features (upgrade space (a true limit) + mass (something you try to limit to keep ship performance up)) should be what limits what upgrades you take instead of a fixed limit like a Tarsus having a max level 1 powerplant (or 3 in RF? Has that been implemented?). You may decide you are willing to use more upgrade space for a level 2 powerplant (perhaps going without something else to make space), along with taking a penalty on acceleration that would accompany the extra mass. The acceleration penalty would be proportional to the total ship mass, so a 5 tonne powerplant would have a large penalty for a 20 tonne ship, but be trivial to a 200 tonne ship (acceleration = force/(total mass)). (Turning rates might be affected but not as much since distribution of mass comes in to play, and objects inside the ship near its center of mass would not effect it as much as say the mass of the hull which is further from it.) Large ships would need a larger upgrade space for bigger shields and generators, but realistically more space is exactly what they would have.
Changing the game stats to reflect this without greatly throwing out the game play would mean that the base (bare bone) ship weights would need to decreased, but that should be easy. Deciding what should weight what can be done by taking your desired ship + loadout and deciding what total weight you want (perhaps the current base weight plus hull), then dividing those weights (logically, not evenly) over the components + base ship weight. After a couple you should have an idea of component weights + size, and further mod and ship weights are easy.
Special parts for specific ships in such a system would simply be restricted to a ship type and be smaller + lighter than normal.

A lot of the stuff I have suggested might not require any code changes (only stats) so maybe a trial patch like the one available now could be done.

you're supposed to get music and the bonus cargo for buying a ship
working on difficulty, fixed talon armor problem
Afterburner settings are controlled in units/units.csv (a simple excel or star office spreadsheat--easy to edit the acceleration with afterburner)
I thought mission descriptions listed the factions they were for--maybe the cargo missions stopped doing that when we used the original descriptions (SHORT FUSE)
Demons: low cargo, very few missiles... both big disadvantages...making it only capable of having light or medium guns on one or both mounts is easy--dataside problem (units.csv)
auto landing zone: we made it good for planets.
autopilot when no enemies around--it can get kinda weird to autopilot when no enemies are around... keeps dragging you to the destination-- might work though...the biggest problem I see is coherence with the original--we measured travel times, speeds, etc to be exact... and it's tricky to change autopilot--whenever I mess with it I invariably break something--especially only a week or so before 1.0

milspecs are jsut ships with the upgrades built in and repaired by basic repair--they have disadvantages too (the repair bot won't repair as much)

we decided to only go one way... theoretically all space could be upgrade space and some is set aside for cargo... going backwards doesn't make sense...have you ever tried adding another engine in your car's trunk--you'd have to add the second engine under the hood.

Hull and armor: we want to keep to the original

variable size of upgrades: this sounds like the stat rebalance we're doing in Vega Strike (http://vegastrike.sf.net/ ) we could easily add it in privateer--but again, stickin to the original for now

hellcatv said:
Afterburner settings are controlled in units/units.csv (a simple excel or star office spreadsheat--easy to edit the acceleration with afterburner)

Well I doubled all the ships acceleration thrusts (except the tarsus which seems to have more than that already) and played it for a while. Also tried a demon with its thrust increased poportional to top speed increase. Both situations made a noticeable difference in gameplay. Evasion is noticeably easier (though on harder levels it make it easier for the enemy to evade you as well it seems, or at least the gothri fighters seemed to accelerate rather well). In light fighters you can basically dodge bullets. I won't be going back to the old afterburner values that is for sure. It's a shame the playtesting has all been done without higher afterburner thrust values, for it is a significant (and I think good) modification to have.

Different types of wingmen should have different prizes according to their efficiency and skills in combat. I bet merchant wingman isn't as good as confed one, still they all cost 25.000.

can you send me your modified units.csv so we can check it out! and see what your new AB accels are
email to
privater *atsign gmail.com

*atsign=@

bugs

Velocity readout when turning:
Often when I turn my velocity is stated as going up momentarily before it falls.

My Fleet ships overwritten:
If I buy the same ship as I already have (same variant as well), then try to buy back my old ship, my old ship vanishes.
Because I was doing this to test new Afterburner levels I noticed sometimes I was sometimes getting old afterburner variables overwriting the ones I was supposed to be getting on the new ship. Looks like the ships are overwriting one another.
It's an unlikely bug to encounter since most people won't buy an identical ship, but it's there.

a) this is expected... in space vectors add... if you accelerate forward, turn right instantly, and start accelerating right... as long as your deceleration takes longer than it does for you to turn 90 degrees, you'll be moving left...and if your acceleration is slow enough you can get fullspeed forward and like halfspeed to the left and hence have a total speed of more than your computer-imposed "maximum". this happened in Wing comander and was known as an afterburner slide.

b) you can only own a single ship of a given type... perhaps the computer should warn you or mark the same ship red cus you have it

Ok, I hope this is the right thread (they become to many)

I found a thing that should be changed (if possible)
I's strange that after about 4-5 Fights in the Troy-system ther is nothing left to by. Just landed on Helen and all I could do was SELL the only 3 Gems I could by on BOTH Asteroid bases.
Ther are just to many Galaxys and Orions in that system (at least 4 G + 2 O).
At te beginning of the game at easyest level this is far to much cometition (right word?).

Next Piont is the filghtdynamic.
In another game I was hunting Retros with my demon, when my aufterburnerspeed just dropped to under SET!
I already set shilds to 2/3 so the engine should have more than enought power to keap 1000.

And I recogniced that thing that was mentioned a dew days ago.
A Talon headed dirctly for me, and changed his flightdirction WITHOUT changing his pointdirection.
Than go straight up, still pointing and firing at me (also with a frequence that should request al leat a level 5 Reactor).

I'd say that's not OK!

additional Info:
I installed all exiting patches to 1.0pre5

A few other people have reported AI ships moving a bit strangely. None of the scripts ask them to do anything like that, so it is very weird. We are certainly watching for it.

If it seems like they have a lot of energy to fire, it is probably because they have lower level shields, that would give them plenty of energy to use.

Thats odd.
They must have 2 reactor levels more than shilds to do so.
Can a Talon have a lev 4 reactor an lev 2 shilde
the last one must have that, otherwise is couldn't take so much fire from me.

The AI uses the same guns, reactors and shields as the player and we don't let them cheat. Whatever they are doing with energy and shields, you should be able to do it too (assuming your ship can mount the same level of reactors and shields). Talons don't really mount high level reactors and shields though.. It could be that they are able to take so much fire because their armor is too thick, that is a problem we very recently fixed (after pre5).

Sector map:
As far as I know you cannot access the nav or sector map when docked (only in space). I always wanted to be able to look at the sector map when deciding which missions to take so I could plan a good route with the missions available. Can the map be made available while docked?

quick FYI: hellcat tracked down and eliminated the AI sliding bug. Been tessting it here and I haven't seen them jump around since. Thanks all who reported it.

Back