New fighter concept

Lynx said:
That's...strange. They functioned well on my machine. :confused:
I edited the models with the Segeltuch *pof-editor. Maybe it changed something while I wasn't looking. Strange indeed.

DON'T USE SEGELTUCH. It fucks your POF data. Use Aurora, PCS, or Modelview

well, as I already told in my older post: ModelView is not a perfect program. Sometimes it shows a complete wrong length of the model.

And, I am sorry, I can not upload the fighter, since it has been implemented into the WCS Mod.

Regards Tolwyn

hi there,

i have been admiring this ship for a while and i would like to use it in an ameture movie of mine (if thats ok). i will of coarse give you full credit, and it will probably used as a background ship. if you decide to let me use it, a few more angles would be appreciated (angled from rear, and side mabye)

thanks

-brad

If you want to use this design in one of your movies the design should remain unganged(except higher detail level and to smoothen some parts that are meant to be round, like engines and stuff). If you want to change it, you'll never get the permission.

hi,

no, of coarse not, i have no desire to change it. it is a beautiful ship and i thiought it would look neat in one of my future movies.

thanks
-brad

Here is it:

Cutlass

I'm not currently using it anywhere, maybe someone else can. you are free to use it as long as you give proper credit; but be aware, it's a non canon design. It's a Truespace *cob file, it should be readable by most 3d programs.

Maybe I'll make a more detailed model sometimes, since that one is pretty low-poly as it is my first model.

Right now low-poly is fine, WCU has a LOT more ships "on the board" than Priv Remake... if you ever see a capship battle, it's spectacular but it also slows your pc down a lot.

Okay, the Cutlass is in :) it's the heavy counterpart of the Talon in that a lot of minor factions have several variants of it. Of course it's a pirate favorite. Arr!

THANK YOU!!!

The backstory we came up with is, in Priv times (2669) the Cutlass is built out of decommissioned Scimitar and Raptor parts -- these two designs were similar enough that one manufacturer figured out a way to put this new fighter together at low cost, bought loads of damaged Scims and Raptors scheduled to be recycled, and built these. Weaponry is 4 mass drivers.

spiritplumber said:
Okay, the Cutlass is in :) it's the heavy counterpart of the Talon in that a lot of minor factions have several variants of it. Of course it's a pirate favorite. Arr!

THANK YOU!!!

The backstory we came up with is, in Priv times (2669) the Cutlass is built out of decommissioned Scimitar and Raptor parts -- these two designs were similar enough that one manufacturer figured out a way to put this new fighter together at low cost, bought loads of damaged Scims and Raptors scheduled to be recycled, and built these. Weaponry is 4 mass drivers.

What the hell? Look, I'm definitely not a stickler for details like Loaf and Brad but come on why the hell do you need "fanon" ships for the WCU project? What? Did you think 25 of the original wing commander ships aren't enough for you? Why would this be any different from a Rapier? I'm not dissing the ship, Lynx, you did a fine job but come on this project is supposed to be a "Wing Commander Universe" NOT A "Wing Commander Fan's homebrewed creations Universe"! I don't cuss very often...but listen very carefully:

STOP FUCKING UP THE WING COMMANDER UNIVERSE!

Okay -- here's my call on it about the WCU project, and THIS IS MY FINAL DECISION:

Right now the point is to put things IN. Taking them OUT can be done with a few hits of the DEL key later, emphasis on LATER. Things like the Cutlass, the Drayman turrets etc. stay IN until the game is in a functioning status, then we decide whether they are to be taken OUT. The way it's done is, we take them OUT temporarily, see if it makes for a less/more enjoyable game, and then decide what to do with them. If it turns out that the Cutlass is redundant because, say, the WC1 rapier fills the role just fine -- as in if we have to choose between a canon and a non canon ship -- then of course the non canon ship must leave. If it's a bit of a wasted work I don't care, the Cutlass looks pretty cool and makes pirates less of a pushover faction. THERE IS PLENTY OF TIME TO REMOVE IT FROM THE GAME LATER. Once the balancing is done, we put everything into a nice installer and put it out for download. Right now, Lynx gave me a wonderful model and it would shame me and belittle him if I didn't use it. I think the Drayman should have turrets in at least some of its incarnations; as soon as I have a good model of a WC1 Drayman I'll put them there (it's supposed to have 5, from the data sheet) and remove them from the Priv drayman.

I'm not trying to mess up the wing commander universe, I'm trying to get the FEEL of it right without splitting hairs. Hair splitting time is once we get the idea firmly in place.

Back