New 3D Thread

if you're certain the faces aren't flipped, check to see that there isn't a duplicate face sitting on top of the existing face. It could also be an UV map coordinate issue, meaning that during one of the conversion steps those faces lost their UV coordinates. You can check that in blender by opening the UV layout panel, opening the texture, and then select the offending faces. The islands should appear in the proper spot on the texture, but if they appear in the lower left corner as a single vertex, then you'll need to remap those faces.

if you're certain the faces aren't flipped, check to see that there isn't a duplicate face sitting on top of the existing face. It could also be an UV map coordinate issue, meaning that during one of the conversion steps those faces lost their UV coordinates. You can check that in blender by opening the UV layout panel, opening the texture, and then select the offending faces. The islands should appear in the proper spot on the texture, but if they appear in the lower left corner as a single vertex, then you'll need to remap those faces.
The problem is that, for example on the side of the ship, it isn't a face as half the square is turned black but the polygon structure does not allow this shape to appear:

530257MeshProblem.png

Triangulate those problem polys, THEN check their normals. 5+ sided polys cause some engines to flip out.

Also here's the 8K Tiger's Claw Texture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywkrf6xlxxx19ck/Bengal.tga?dl=0
OK, I'll try both of these, and if I can get the 8K texture in-game, I'll send the screenshots. :)

EDIT: OK, everything seems to be in working order in 8K. The compiling should take a dozen hours or so, but by then, it should give us some nice screenshots.

Last edited:
To do that in Blender just select the faces and then hit CTRL + T. That will triangulate them.
Yep, I figured that out. Looks like you had the right idea for the problem. So, the issue and the solution:

When I imported the .obj in CFHodEd, the very old file editor for Homeworld 2 (not Remastered, mind you, the old game), the files got some polygons deformed and appearing above part of the geometry. By exporting again to a .obj and removing the problematic triangles, I could get something sort of working. Then I realized it would be much simpler to just import the files in DAEnerys, the new file editor for Homeworld Remastered in which my workflow goes anyway. And, oh, nice surprise, the files could be imported without any error. So the 8K Tiger's Claw is being compiled as I type this post.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

And now to showcase the latest version of the Tiger's Claw:

39675E230115DC0ED46976B445730BDF762769D5

F733A22A333EFEB7ABA9FC83617180A09382400D

150B18B743751D5B1748381B115DE90FB40581C2

CFCFD0D6A53A2A067FB221F0DACC9D51959EBB01

DE221E29B4BF7387C9A8536A2FA75420647B6E3E

There's still a bit of work to do, notably for the engines (texture importation issue), but it looks pretty nice already!

I use a layered procedural pattern texture and then bake it into modo, there's no repeating paterns like in Saga.

Thanks!

Do you know the name or settings for the procedural texture?

I'm trying to find something similar in Blender. Does anyone have any ideas? (Google is failing me!)

not sure if there's a default procedural texture for hull plates. But mess around with the distorted noise texture, specifically the cell noise settings.

Thanks!

Do you know the name or settings for the procedural texture?

I'm trying to find something similar in Blender. Does anyone have any ideas? (Google is failing me!)

Hey so I did a quick hull paneling demo using procedural textures in Blender if you're interested. Obviously you can play around with it. Basically I just took a plane, created a new material called "plates" (you can call it whatever you like), and made it a Confed emerald green and set the specularity hardness value to 100 and the specularity color to a slightly brighter green. I UV unwrapped the plane (if you're using an existing asset it's likely already unwrapped).

I then went into the texture panel and added a new texture called LG_Plates. I added a new Distorted Noise texture and set both slots to Cell Noise. I left these settings as-is. I set the color to a darker version of the base emerald green and set the layer type from MIX to SCREEN. That gives you large, dark mottling to the base material.

I then added a second texture slot called SM_Plates, and again made it a Distorted Noise texture with both slots set to cell noise. I set the size down to 0.10 and set the color to a lighter shade of the base emerald green. I set that layer property to OVERLAY. I also set this texture to effect hardness and color in the specularity settings. That gave me a plane with the following procedural texture:

Procedural_Panels.jpg

If you want a bit more definition when you bake out the texture, you can adjust the normal settings. On the LG_Plates layer I set the normal value to -.01 which will slightly indent the dark panels. When you bake out the texture under full render, you'll get the same kind of effect.

Procedural_Panels_NM.jpg

This took about ten minutes or so of just kind of goofing around with the texture settings. Your mileage may vary. Hope it's useful.

Back