New 3D Thread

I got the tarawa ok.. I think they were just having a bad time. but yeah.. totally snagging the connie from your dropbox

OK, so the import was... less than successful. Not much of an issue, I think: I'll have to start hacking and carving to split the model in various sub-models. I'll keep you informed. I also grabbed the Tarawa and will try to get it ingame after that. Thanks!

Pictured below: how HWR deals with models that large. XD

5C5B719A194985B111DC01A4BFDA1849C6C0F9BD

both work just fine in my art program and my 3d modeling program.. which is good. I redid the lighting and textures to be more cartoony just because of how I intend to use them. here's a couple of shots of the working just fine in my renderer! and suuuuuper thanks :D

here's a shot of the tarawa model: :D
tumblr_om68a7bpFX1qanr7mo1_1280.jpg

I got plans like you wouldn't believe, brother. :D I could definitely use your raptor model too.. you know.. if you was willing :D

this isn't a new format? iiiiiinteresting.. apparently my cheap-o 3d builder (metasequoia) has upped it's support game.. I couldn't get most of those to work back when...

this isn't a new format? iiiiiinteresting.. apparently my cheap-o 3d builder (metasequoia) has upped it's support game.. I couldn't get most of those to work back when...
If you have issue with converting formats and the stuff, tell me what you need and I can try to help (I have a number of programs that can help). (about the Connie, her .dae file with the ship split in 34 workable fragments and a large collision mesh is now taking more than the whole night to compile X_X)

doesn't look like I am anymore.. I think I figured out what it is.. the importer got more solid and they accept .tif as a texture file format now. thanks for the offer though. this is my favorite day of this year.

doesn't look like I am anymore.. I think I figured out what it is.. the importer got more solid and they accept .tif as a texture file format now. thanks for the offer though. this is my favorite day of this year.
I can imagine. So much stuff to work with made by a damn awesome 3D artist. ^_^;

@Klavs81

Got her in game!

97B65B67C0E1BA210A6C674B7B823530E9D7542B

03399AE0B414FB6981D08BD016DB2F031CC3DA90

I'll work on the shine and glow layers next to improve the render of the ship, but she looks really nice already. Thanks!

Edit: so, the main display issue I have is, as you can see, the multiple shadows from the edges around each textured "plate". I'll try to tinker a bit, maybe see with other teams if we can work out some solution around it. Once she's done properly, I'll get to work on Tarawa.

Last edited:
And voilà! The model has been worked a bit to optimize its rendering for the HWR engine:

82DB34F2D2814FB3FAAA5CEAD8E5CE37137DA87F

B43710226DE37CCAA80E54B71C32CC264BCBF4EB

A4159EDE0AE16F8DAAB1EA220E3A37A16C3F43AB

CB045190176EF37E4636BC976ED0960E6D2A08D8

B154748B07AEEBD3114EC605303B3CE744BB875F

The girl still needs quite some outfitting before she can go fight at Vukar Tag (turrets, docking paths, hangar glows, engine glows, etc.), but she's one hell of a beauty, so thanks again, @Klavs81!

Oh, that's very very exciting! Lovely work! Can't wait to see what you do with her!

Does this mean that my Rapiers and Sabres and Broadswords aren't far behind? I'd have to pick up the mod if it went full WC2 on us.

Also means I have to get off my duff and model more ships. Great! :p

Oh, that's very very exciting! Lovely work! Can't wait to see what you do with her!

Does this mean that my Rapiers and Sabres and Broadswords aren't far behind? I'd have to pick up the mod if it went full WC2 on us.

Also means I have to get off my duff and model more ships. Great! :p
The End Run DLC could be subtitled Klavs' Mobile Museum of Marvelous Models, you know. :-P

There will be Wing Commander Saga models being used here and there, but they will mostly be yours under the spotlight. I still have a lot of stuff to get ingame and to then outfit, but the idea is to allow with the DLC a Wing Commander II mode for skirmishes, selected in the game menu that will shift Confederation and Kilrathi units from WC3/4 to WC2, in addition to have the End Run campaign. The great thing is also that now, I have a workflow that allows me to use your models properly with the different channels. This means that I will probably go back to the models I already worked with previously and see if I can get them to work better in-game. There's a decent chance that the Confed "mothership" will be your massive Caernarvon station if I can further tinker her. But, yep, your files are pretty damn awesome and will almost double the content of the mod. And they are already showcased with the Border Worlds' faction.

Mini-request: if you do other ships with turrets, could you have the turrets as separate meshes? The really ideal thing would be the turrets, the guns to be separate meshes, as HWR allows me to use a nifty subsystem mechanic that works fantastically for turrets: they can be all controlled independently, depending on the weaponry, arcs of fire and many, many parameters, with the individual guns on them being slaved with tunable delay between each gun firing, tunable recoil for the guns, etc. The subsystem allows also stuff like precise targeting of ships' parts, so one of the things I envision for future updates would be to cut the engines and the bridge on every ship in the game and have these as subsystems, as czacen, the mod's original creator, had. That way, fighters, bombers and other ships could target these in priority and lead to massive loss of fire control effectiveness or speed.

***** The workflow for those interested *****

Import the .obj in Blender, and export it to .fbx, then import the .fbx in 3DS Max, where the snip and cut, translations and scaling will be done. Then export it again in .fbx, import the .fbx in Blender and then export the file in either .obj or .dae, which are the formats used by DAEnerys, the dedicated Homeworld Remastered .dae editor (CFHodEd, the Homeworld 2 editor, will use only .obj and will require to use RODOH before you have a special .dae file that can be used with HODOR to get the useable file).

***** End workflow *****

ah yeah.. I am still having the same problem with the older files.. some reason the texture info doesn't go right.. the models are fine but the texture doesn't apply correctly. those .obj files for concordia and the tarawa though work with 0 fiddling. :D no big deal though.. as art references they are still 100% functional since I don't need the texture data.

Good stuff!

Makes me want to try importing models into wcsaga again.

Has anyone tried it before?

Also, is there any chance of getting a copy of the Hornet model?

Good stuff!

Makes me want to try importing models into wcsaga again.

Has anyone tried it before?

Also, is there any chance of getting a copy of the Hornet model?
Importing stuff in WC Saga should be possible, the tools are going both ways. However, I have no damn clue how to configure the files to actually have them appear and work in-game, just how to get them to the right format.

In any case, I am proud to show you @Klavs81's new version of the Tarawa!

900C69328392F2AD5A571F99DE3EE9F7AE5242E8

587A844E9DC43E8ED455C954C5F0FB87E2C2293B

With a bit of creative editing on the textures, her sister-ship Sevastopol should join her later.

First to Kilrah

Needs to be on her hull somewhere on the port side of the ship by the bridge under her name, according to End Run. At least if Sevastopol is getting separate textures.

Last edited:
First to Kilrah

Needs to be on her hull somewhere on the port side of the ship by the bridge under her name, according to End Run. At least if Sevastopol is getting separate textures.
Wasn't it painted after the attack? If so, I could have, during the campaign, two models, one for the missions before the Kilrah sector without the motto, and one for the escape with the motto.

Back