Need help with X-Wing

XVT did a good job of balancing out the universe. In X-Wing the Rebel craft were more powerful, in TIE Fighter the Imperial Craft were more powerful, in XVT it depended solely on the pilot.

XWA added in tons of flyable craft, and an on-the-fly mission creator, which has all kinds of crazy craft from the EU like the Mole Miners from the Thrawn Trilogy.

However, XWA has unbalanced craft. This is Universe True, TIE fighters die from one shot and X-Wings can attack ISDs. You can adjust for this by changing the AI levels...but well, I've never made a fair fight in the game. One side always has an advantage, unfortunatly.

TIE Fighter was great. I loved the subplots going on in TIE Fighter, it just amazed me. I was hooked. I know the games were eventually redone in the XVT Game Engine and I would LOVE To get my hands on a copy of that. To fly those old missions with updated graphics, it's more then I could ever hope for.

I got myself a copy of Xwing vs Tie Fighter but I would love to grab a copy of the expansion, "The Balance of Power" that was a proper campaign game which I would like to play. The missions in the starter pack only provided scenarios not game plots which made it a little bit boring......

Well that was the point. After plot-based single-player X-Wing and plot-based single-player TIE Fighter, X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter was designed to be a solely multiplayer game. That's what it was, that's what it was made for, hence, no plot. Still, my friends and I got hours and hours (and still do) of amusement playing through the missions together. We even had tactics for how to accomplish each one depending on who and how many people we had. It was good times.

Oh same deal here man! IT sucks. We used to play alot of RTS too, but that has gone to the dogs as well with the graphics intensive Generals and Warcraft III games. I like KISS Games, like Civilzation (dos based!) for strategy. Frankly, older games catch my interest more then modern games because they are better developed game play wise, and aren't a matter of, quest here because the wise old man says so, and kill things to save the world. They actually require thought. Not that RPG's don't require thought, but hey, they just don't float my cookiee.

Starlancer was a real breakthrough, several of my friends bought joysticks for the first time to play Starlancer with me, and we have regularly matches now every week with a tremendous amount of enjoyment for everyone from the hardcore players to the casual players. Also, Freespace 2 really got them into the spacesim genre as well.

though it's a bit unbalanced as I have years of experiance with flight sims and they have only a matter of weeks. Still, when I lead them help them and direct them (as a real squad leader would do) my experiance is passed along to them, and we sort of have an informal squadron atmosphere going on. It's kinda fun.

Sounds like fun, so far my brother and I play only mission which may only require 2 fighters otherwise we play with the computer wingman, it aint the same but it is still just as fun

Back