Need help with X-Wing

Hey, come on, despite the fact that they're recycled models, Alliance is still a great game.

The Upgrade pack mentioned here is a VERY nice addition to the X-Wing Alliance game, and it makes the models look much cleaner. In fact, I always felt like after I applied the upgrade pack I was back to playing in the "true" Star Wars universe.

However, the upgrade pack does a number of things I don't agree with. It has a C version of the E-wing, which looks like crap, it adds in the Eclipse Star destroyers, as well as several dozen other Expanded Universe capital ships that severally unbalance the game.

And lastly, everyone with a model editor has created their own TIE Fighter variant with a ball cockpit and a smattering of TIE Wings that they put wherever just to be able to contribue something and frankly, most of the designs are just crap. I won't mention their weapons systems, but let's just say they could be considered capital ships and not have under-rated weapons systems.

Still, the Imperial Star Destroyers in this game (with the upgrade) have so much detail on them occsinally I have to convince myself they're 3D models and not the real thing. It's *that* good.

Also, I don't know if anyone played the CD version of X-Wing, but it DOES have an option to switch between re-vamped missions and classic missions, making some of the missions (Including the Redemption Scenario) a bit easier.

I also had trouble with the Runaway X-Wing mission. Mostly because it requires you to dogfight TIE Fighters and especially TIE Interceptors while flying a Y-Wing. I won't mention how insanely difficult that is due to speed limitations, but it's defeniatly of the Kill ship A before Ship B docks or Ship C will blow up Ship D...

On a more interesting side note, X-Wing was supposed to be developed with a difficulty setting for Hard Medium and Easy, that was never put in place. What this means is that on some missions, the enemy ships have three differant hyperspace entry coordinates. Including the Redemption Scenario. If you play the mission enough times, keeping track of the distances to the ships you can identify their entry coordinates. Of course, occasinally the enemy will drop out right where you don't want them and way to close to you, but that's just the nature of the game.

One of the missions that always gave me trouble was the Sullustant Diplomat mission, where you have to Identify the two transports with prisoners on them and disable them. Then I read the strategy guide, which told me which number transport they were if I just started flipping through targets in my CMD.

Quarto said:
Yeah, X-Wing has a lot of very questionable mission design - weird limitations, restrictions and requirements imposed purely for the sake of making a mission harder. As much as I loved X-Wing, it did always bother me that there's so many missions in it that are simply imposssible to complete on a first try, because you have to know that Ship A has to be killed exactly five seconds after Ship B shows up, otherwise Ship C escapes into hyperspace and Ship D blows up Ship E...

Yep. Also, any mission that can't be completed in the first time you try it because there are things you need to "guess" is horrible game design. The same kind of thing was to be found, later, more diluted, on Starlancer. Stray out of the mission's predetermined way to do things and the *cloaked bomber squad of doom* shows up to blows your carrier. They are arbitrarily there for the sole purpose to ensure you follow the mission design, and never show up otherwise.

The big problem in the redemption mission is that your wingmen are useless, and the imperial tactic (jump in, launch bombers, jump in on the opposite side and drop more bombers) is good. I mean, if we could have two xwings covering one side and two other covering the OTHER side, it would be piece of cake.

I NEVER knew about this wingmen training thing... so you can just keep making pilots, running them through the training then using them as wingmen? Cool.

I think I'll try running Xwing in Dos Box.

I hate it in Starlancer when you loose track of the rest of Alpha Wing and you spend much of your fuel looking for them

I too have played all of the Xwing sim series and enjoy all of them. I would agree that X-Wing Alliance was the most enjoyable. There were some hard missions and there were easy mission in Alliance. But the X-wing series with Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing really got on my nerves when I first played it. It was so damn hard and everything.
I enjoy the simulator room for alliance where you can create your own battle.
I can remember some time ago I got a Calamari Fleet against a Star Destroyer Fleet and I just flew among the asteroids watching them blow each other apart while taking on some fighters, now that was fun and interesting...
The X-wing series would be harder than Alliance because the mission gradually got harder bit by bit until it got nearly almost impossible for me. But like every good gamer, there is always a way to beat the computer and all......

Tie Fighter was the best, flying with Vader in Battle 5 and rescueing Palpatine in Battle 7 were the most enjoyables moments in any XWing/Tie Fighter game

I've never played TIE-Fighter

Isn't there a mission in it where you take on a Star Destroyer that has Defected or something?

Well, you should.

And yes there is a mission like that...or maybe more than 1
But you have lots of defecting Admirals!

This game is indeed mean with a M+K... Got to Tour 1, Mission around 11 or 12 (one with the single Freighter and all the mines...), then can't beat that. I have to burn all my torpedos on the mines, since I suck at mines... then I can't tag both transports before they kill the Freighter.

BTW: Anyone have the passwords for the 3 1/4 floppy disk version? I really do own it... lost the damn manual a while ago, and have been playing it off a site with a scan of a single page. If you do, please e-mail me... bduddy55555@gmail.com.

The MIDI music of TIE Fighter is brilliant. That's why the DOS version is still much better than the Windows one. I'm still trying to either track down or rip the victory tune. A really great game, and a superb non-WC space combat shooter.

the music is amazing I agree, but then render it to another format would be interesting...

I fortunatelly have the first Collector's edition of TIE-Fighter, wich is the best version (still DOS, but with all the extra missions). Unfortunatelly, I think I lost my X-Wing disks...

I've got the collectors edition of X-Wing (which includes the B-Wing extra missions)

I will try and get TIE-Fighter

I never really made the effort with X-wing (it was one of my first PC games) but TIE fighter and alliance were to compelling too ignore (even when I flew into murderous rages when I got shot down)

Why is that? what was wrong wit Tie and Alliance??
Xwing series was good, Tie fighter was the next step up with some modifcations made then alliance was a complete make over which made it more enjoyable.
and then don't forget Xwing Vs Tie Fighter it was more realistic where the ships in the Alliance fighters were actually easier to take out and all.... making it more challenging for both sides

Back