• Stormfire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pilium FoF

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Fission Gun

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
Mace too

I agree. It was only on one ship. And it was pretty dumb. It was a close one between Mace and Dart Dumbfire but at least the Dumbfires packed a good punch and were available to every ship conceived.

Actually, the mace was available on the MorningStar and the Dragon, and I seem to recall using it on the Vindicator as well (once you've captured the appropriate thing in WC4 you can always mount Mace in place of Torpedo on any torpedo-carrying craft).

I liked it because I *could* use it effectively -- just wait for the bad guys to get to the proper distance (about 8000 in WC4) and let 'er rip -- WHA-BOOM! Suddenly there are fewer bad guys.

My most hated weapon was the coneburst/starburst for these reasons:

1. Weak damage.
2. Limited availability.
3. Difficult to use.
4. Unreliable.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I was going to say the Leech Missile since I really didn't find it all too effective unless I battered the other ship to the point where I might as well kill it. But then, I did really like the Lecch gun. Go figure.

The Starburst and Coneburst missiles just weren't my cup of tea. I got nothing against them, just didn't care for them. They seemed pretty damned ineffective all of the 3 times I used it.

Also, who the heck hates the Dragon's/Black Lance's Fission Canon? That gun was incredible.

I'm going for the Heat Seekers because especially in the earlier Wing Commanders, they never get a lock when I want them to. In WC3 I would always immediately replace any Heat Seekers with ImRecs. Much better. Never understood why the loadout screen in WC3 gives a higher TacVal to HS missiles than to ImRecs.

I hate Dart DF ! In the early WC like WC1, I found it was very hard to hit something smaller than a Ralari with it. And for the kid I was, it was a very frustrating challenge !

Laser Cannons, they are too weak and they need to uch energy (WC 4)

btw. Javelin HS got a higher TacVal because it has more firepower than the ImRec

Originally posted by Arrow
btw. Javelin HS got a higher TacVal because it has more firepower than the ImRec

The lower price tag on Javelins also influences the TacVal :rolleyes:

Anyways there was no weapon I hated per se. I suppose the best way for me to answer this question is to say I loathed the WCP Panthers gun arrangement - 2 tachyons and 2 ions? :mad: Oh yeah - the Vindicators gun arrangement of 2 lasers and 1 tachyon also stank to high heaven :mad:

I personally love heatseekers. They sometimes miss when the target flips toward me suddenly, but most times they work just the same as an IR missile.
Plus they have a bigger warhead.
My least favorite weapons...

Pilum Friend or Foe - Its got the smallest warhead of any of the regular missiles, it has a habit of not targeting the ship I'd like it to target, and the IR missile lock doesn't take long enough to make much of a difference.

Rocket Pods (not dumbfire missiles, which have a bigger warhead, and are fun to use at point-blank) - itty bitty warheads, just common enough to make you want to use them at medium range, and the Nephilim have a bad habit of turning to one side the instant I fire one.

That stupid torpedo that I fired right when the targetted cap ship blew up, and that continued to circle endlessly until a friendly confed fighter flew into it, blew up, and got me in trouble as a 'traitor' (this was a mission in SOP).

Originally posted by Penguin
Oh yeah - the Vindicators gun arrangement of 2 lasers and 1 tachyon also stank to high heaven :mad:

The Vindicator had 2 lasers and 2 tachyon cannons, BTW.
Actually, I liked the Vindicator's gun arrangment.

Originally posted by junior

Pilum Friend or Foe - Its got the smallest warhead of any of the regular missiles, it has a habit of not targeting the ship I'd like it to target, and the IR missile lock doesn't take long enough to make much of a difference.

Unless you count Privateer, then it had the largest warhead and was pretty good at tracking it's targets.

Rocket Pods (not dumbfire missiles, which have a bigger warhead, and are fun to use at point-blank) - itty bitty warheads, just common enough to make you want to use them at medium range, and the Nephilim have a bad habit of turning to one side the instant I fire one.

I thought rockets were good for taking down corvettes, or fighters when they turned and had a moment of no motion.

I agree with junior, the Pilum FoF truely sucks, in Privateer too, I might add. It`s also slow as hell in addition to it having a small warhead and it`s tendency to target the wrong ship.

The Heatseeker is fast, has a bigger warhead, hits what you target at, and doesn`t take long to get a lock. The perfect misslie in my opinion.

I always found the coneburst had very limited use and were a was of missle slots... Dumbfire Although they required pressision firing or good luck, at least has one of the greatest destrutive ability so most of the time the enemy fighters are destroyed as long as you hit them. Never much liked friend or foe missiles but I'm not exactly sure why. Leech missiles, at least in wc3 sucked big time, they never seemed to do anything. But I liked them in WC4 and I love the leech canons. And the fission canon.... you can take out smaller cap ships in one shot. What's not to love?

Unless you need to specificalt mine nav points agains t cap ships, I didnt find it worthwhile most of the time to bother loading mines. Although they were different in P2.

AD

I have to say the mace, I just like something with a lock if wanted something with no lock I would use dumbfires.I of course speak of the WC4 on psx mace

I disagree

Javalins suck, in WCP they carried the heaviest missile warhead till the ELRIR came along with a one shot one kill warhead, otherwise in WC4 the HS had a penetration of 400du, whereas the IR had a penetration of 450du, but I have to admit, the Javilin does the job, when it DOES make contact

Back