• Stormfire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pilium FoF

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Fission Gun

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Mad Hatter
I agree with junior, the Pilum FoF truely sucks, in Privateer too, I might add. It`s also slow as hell in addition to it having a small warhead and it`s tendency to target the wrong ship.

Fool! The secret of winning the last waypoint is to make your entire missile load FoF and then drop them all at once a few seconds after entering the area! You'll kill at least two fighters right off the bat, and soften up the rest of em.

LeHah has the point to FoF missiles - get a tub with a gun load the means you dont NEED missiles to take out anything in front of you, then salvo a quartet anytime you get in trouble. Or just toss off everything at once for a cool little poof-looking effect (managable in WCP by dropping 12 FoFs into a 1-ms-life pod... =D)

Hated... you would have to discount everything from Privateer because each of them fits a financial strat As far as straight military, I'd have to go with the ion cannon, as by the time they came into service you had things that could shoot farther and things that could hurt more, and things that did both at once for less energy drain. The sheer mediocrity of it brought it down, coupled with your being forced to use it on two of the major fighters.

The photon cannon, which is arguably inferior, is excused because it only appeared on one ship, and the refire/drain characteristics fit reasonably well with the rest of the armaments. On the arrow, however, four laser cannon would deliver only fifteen percent less firepower than the laser/ions with half the power drain - more than enough to add a third set of lasers or keep the existing four firing continuously.

*This up-all-night ramble has been brought to you by sub-par munchies.*

I think it depends much on which WC game you are using the weapon in. I found the HS in Wc1 and 2 to be almost as effective as an IR whereas in Armada I found them pretty useless.
But genrally spoken I think I'll go with the star/coneburst, since I never achieved anything with them (but I didn't really try either). The FoF isn't much in my favour too.
The stupidiest gun I saw in the WC universe is the Chain Ion IMO.

Originally posted by Battler Hawke
I hate the fire and forget.:mad:
I like the heat seekers.:D
Fire and Forget?!?
Don't you mean Friend or Foe.
Technically, all guided missiles are Fire and Forget missiles. (with the exception of laserguided missiles, where you have to keep a laser pointed at your target after firing, but WC doesn't have those)

Originally posted by $tormin
don't you have to keep pointing at the enemy ship with the swarmers?

I don't really remember since it's been a while since I played prophecy. But I don't recall having to. But its possible. The swarmers are probably my favorite Missile from WCP.

I didnt really like the chain gun. It took to long to do significant dammage. But the effect was cool. But it had limmited ammo.

AD

the stormfire was very effective in wc4, but i havent played proph yet. i hear the demo allows you to use it though. just gotta find it now

Never noticed or tried the storm fire in wc4.... Hmmm must have missed it the times I played... unless it was on the bearcat. for some reason I've never play the path where you get bearcats.

As for it's usefullness in WCP, it's inefectiveness for me might just be poor aim... then again.

AD.

Originally posted by pendell
I liked it because I *could* use it effectively -- just wait for the bad guys to get to the proper distance (about 8000 in WC4) and let 'er rip -- WHA-BOOM! Suddenly there are fewer bad guys.
I didn't really like the WC4 Mace, but the SO2 Mace was incredibly useful against capships - since it's not a torpedo, the stupid kitties just lets the Mace through. Bet they weren't expecting a nuclear blast from an ordinary dumbfire. :)

My most hated weapon was the coneburst/starburst for these reasons:
1. Weak damage.
2. Limited availability.
3. Difficult to use.
4. Unreliable.
Before I came here, that would probably have been my choice too. However, although I haven't the opportunity to try the technique myself, I remember someone (Crid?) saying that they're incredibly useful for taking out carriers with open hangar bays. Just a pity that the only enemy carrier you have the opportunity to use it on is the Vesuvius, and I don't think that the cone/starburst would do much against that beast.

Originally posted by LeHah
I was going to say the Leech Missile since I really didn't find it all too effective unless I battered the other ship to the point where I might as well kill it.
The WC4 leeches are probably not that useful (although I intend to use it in my next round of WC4, to minimise 'casualties'). But, as I found out recently, the leeches are excellent at taking down capship phase shields. :) That Wraith was good for something after all.

Also, who the heck hates the Dragon's/Black Lance's Fission Cannon? That gun was incredible.
Although I don't like using the fission cannon myself, I'll admit that they can be useful.

Originally posted by $tormin
I actually have found use for every weapon I have had a chance to use.
I found myself thinking that too, but I eventually voted for the laser. Turrets are worthless in WCP because of them, and I don't like their weak damage potential. They might have long range, but I prefer my fighting up close.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
INever understood why the loadout screen in WC3 gives a higher TacVal to HS missiles than to ImRecs.
The thing about HS missiles is that they have more warhead capacity than IRs due to a less sophisticated tracking system.

Originally posted by Sadic
I hate Dart DF! In the early WC like WC1, I found it was very hard to hit something smaller than a Ralari with it.
DFs are very useful against stupid Nephilim. :)

Originally posted by Darkwarrior
Heat seekers are the worst missiles alive because they never really and rarely hit the proper target.
I don't use missile very often in early WCs, but I think the 'problem' you describe is applicable to all missiles in those games. But I found the HS to be incredibly easy for the enemies to shake in WCP/SO.

Originally posted by junior
Pilum Friend or Foe - It's got the smallest warhead of any of the regular missiles, it has a habit of not targeting the ship I'd like it to target, and the IR missile lock doesn't take long enough to make much of a difference.
First point is valid. Second point shouldn't make a difference. Use your 'target nearest enemy' button more. ;-)

Originally posted by junior
Rocket Pods - itty bitty warheads, just common enough to make you want to use them at medium range, and the Nephilim have a bad habit of turning to one side the instant I fire one.
Er, pehaps you're just uncoordinated. ;-) I don't particularly like the RPs myself, but ships like the Tigershark, they can be useful.

Originally posted by Mad Hatter
I agree with junior, the Pilum FF truly sucks...
They're always useful against decoyless targets in WCP/SO.

Fool! The secret of winning the last waypoint is to make your entire missile load FoF and then drop them all at once a few seconds after entering the area! You'll kill at least two fighters right off the bat, and soften up the rest of em.
What last navpoint are you talking about? If this is Privateer, I disagree. Most ships are faster than missiles, and they frequently outrun them.

And Swarmers do use laserlock - that's why they cannot be decoyed.

Originally posted by Wedge009

Before I came here, that would probably have been my choice too. However, although I haven't the opportunity to try the technique myself, I remember someone (Crid?) saying that they're incredibly useful for taking out carriers with open hangar bays. Just a pity that the only enemy carrier you have the opportunity to use it on is the Vesuvius, and I don't think that the cone/starburst would do much against that beast.
Only on the Vesuvius?

You mean, after I flash-pak the Vesuvius it's pretty useless?

The WC4 leeches are probably not that useful (although I intend to use it in my next round of WC4, to minimise 'casualties').

Gotta agree because of the lock-on times. However I LIKED the WC3 leech missile because for the same characteristics of the IR missile it was a one-shot one-kill weapon. I found them especially useful against starfighters of the Vaktoth or larger class, as a single shot would take them out of the battle, to be either cleaned up later or killed by my wingman.

Although I don't like using the fission cannon myself, I'll admit that they can be useful.

Hmm.. I didn't care for the Fission cannon myself. I have a great deal of difficulty aiming them. They're spaced far apart, so it's hard to hit something with both at the same time. No ITTS either. Takes time to recharge, too. I found that continuous use of auto-tracking tachyon and plasma killed craft a lot quicker than hit-or-miss with a fission cannon.

The thing about HS missiles is that they have more warhead capacity than IRs due to a less sophisticated tracking system.

I actually *prefer* the HS in WCP to the FF. Why? Because
1) I know which target it's going to hit.
2) I only fire from dead astern at < 500 meters anyway (no time to decoy, can't maneuver away)
3. It makes a heckuva KA-BOOM when it hits.

Originally posted by AD
Never noticed or tried the storm fire in wc4.... Hmmm must have missed it the times I played... unless it was on the bearcat. for some reason I've never play the path where you get bearcats.

AD.

It's a special weapon on the Vindicator and the Avenger. To use it, press "H" for special weapons.

I dunno why people like it so much -- Tachyon cannons work just as well and they don't run out of ammo.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The big advantage of the stormfire is that it doesn't drain energy, so you can both lay down a huge volume of fire, and divert power to where it would do more good. At the higher levels of WC4, even a marginal gain in shield recharge or acceleration makes a huge differance.

Best, Raptor

None of these weapons are the "worse". However, the starburst/coneburst is the least usefull, as other missles and guns can do the job more effectively with less power drain, range, et cetera.

Stormfire has been upgraded to fire higher caliber rounds at a slower rate...then a gain, just as well, since if the MkI was used against the Bugs it'd do less damage than tissue paper (Believe me, I tried)

[Ooh yeah,and the !@#$ actually has to RELOAD! Like a REAL WEAPON! Can you believe that????? :rolleyes:]

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
You mean, besieds having thick shields, incredible speed and gun firepower?
I didn't feel that the Wraith was that superior. I don't remember feeling invincible, and the Reaper cannons didn't feel like anything special - they were probably there for the sake of being a new weapon (they were also very noisy, IIRC). So the speed thing was the only exceptional feature, I thought, which wasn't a big deal, since speed (or lack of it) doesn't bother me too much.

You mean, after I flash-pak the Vesuvius it's pretty useless?
What do you mean? The star/coneburst feels pretty useless anyway.

However I LIKED the WC3 leech missile because for the same characteristics of the IR missile it was a one-shot one-kill weapon.
Never thought about that aspect. Although I prefer the kitties to die as quickly as possible. On the other hand, having them sitting like a duck, waiting to be blasted (or probably committing suicide)... bwa ha ha ha! :) Could be useful if you wanted to capture fighters...

I didn't care for the Fission cannon myself. I have a great deal of difficulty aiming them. They're spaced far apart, so it's hard to hit something with both at the same time. No ITTS either. Takes time to recharge, too. I found that continuous use of auto-tracking tachyon and plasma killed craft a lot quicker than hit-or-miss with a fission cannon.
I feel the same way... minus the "can't aim" bit. ;) The others will shoot you down for the no ITTS bit - remember WC1/2?

Back