Just wanted to say thanks

cancel that, I thought it was a mod within FSOPEN. I am downloading Diaspora now. : )
But still, this is bad news for all those FSOpen mods I play...

Glad you enjoyed them. Since Unknown Enemy was started when I was in high school I have a hard time looking back on it as anything but embarassing - still it was fun. I'd love to come back and do some more mod work.

I think new games are more interesting than remaking old ones - but if I were to do a remake given how well documented all the file formats are I'd probably opt to make a new engine which could support the mission scripts from each of the old titles.

Try downloading the latest stable executable. 3.7.2 That includes diaspora. All diaspora code eventually made it into the main release.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89597.0
Plus there are more graphical features in the current release.
There is also a newer version of the launcher there.

Unfortunately Saga was forked off during development, so you cant use the latest FSO build with that... There was an attempt to mod it back in, but it looks like it pandered off
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85375.0
Shame, the branch Saga is based off of is quite old, and they never did compile it for OSX and Linux.

WCnut, tried it and didn't work. Just a load of error messages. I also found a standalone release of diaspora. That was working great then i realized my mouse would only travel about half of the screen and that's it. So I couldn't actually accept my first mission cuz my mouse wouldn't travel to that area. Seems like the only thing I can get to work on fsopen in WC saga and that's cuz it's a standalone game I guess. So Far this has me a little pissed at windows 10.

Now that is interesting. 3.7.2 should work just fine. When you installed diaspora did you get the 1.1 an 1.1.1 patches as well? It's below the download section.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0

At the end of the day those 2 patches include 2 new .vp files
R1.1_Patch.vp and R1.1.1_patch.vp also a slightly newer binary, but the offical build is newer and should work. It works fine on my mac, I don't have it installed in windows 10 though. All I can suggest is make sure you have the latest stuff.

Other then that just to make sure, you also setup a profile in the latest WXlauncher right? and are launching the game from that? In Welcome hit New, label the profile however you wish. Then go to the Basic Settings Tab, select the Diaspora Root folder, and the FS2Open executable in the game folder (3.7.2 if you have it). You can set a few monitor resolution settings there. Under the Advanced Settings, make sure you have Diaspora Recommended radial button selected, and that should be it, hit play in the bottom corner. After that you can launch from the main executable, but it needs settings first.

Last edited:
The thing to remember about Gemini Gold is that it was developed before DOSBox was a reality... it was a pretty genuine attempt to let people who couldn't access the original Privateer experience it (running the original at the time was extremely difficult.) There's not so much of a need for it today now that we can emulate the original nearly perfectly... but I imagine it introduced a lot of new Wingnuts to a pretty fantastic game!

The thing to remember about Gemini Gold is that it was developed before DOSBox was a reality... it was a pretty genuine attempt to let people who couldn't access the original Privateer experience it (running the original at the time was extremely difficult.) There's not so much of a need for it today now that we can emulate the original nearly perfectly... but I imagine it introduced a lot of new Wingnuts to a pretty fantastic game!
Ben you have inspired me to play the original now. I will give it a go(the gog version) in a day or so.

Now that is interesting. 3.7.2 should work just fine. When you installed diaspora did you get the 1.1 an 1.1.1 patches as well? It's below the download section.

R1.1_Patch.vp and R1.1.1_patch.vp also a slightly newer binary, but the offical build is newer and should work. It works fine on my mac, I don't have it installed in windows 10 though. All I can suggest is make sure you have the latest stuff.

Other then that just to make sure, you also setup a profile in the latest WXlauncher right? and are launching the game from that? In Welcome hit New, label the profile however you wish. Then go to the Basic Settings Tab, select the Diaspora Root folder, and the FS2Open executable in the game folder (3.7.2 if you have it). You can set a few monitor resolution settings there. Under the Advanced Settings, make sure you have Diaspora Recommended radial button selected, and that should be it, hit play in the bottom corner. After that you can launch from the main executable, but it needs settings first.
I'm actually doing a complete overhaul on fsopen today hoping that will fix my problems. I will apply the settings you told me and hope it works. Just a warning to everyone, I never had these problems til Windows 10. Windows 7 worked with fsopen perfectly. I will keep you posted on my progress though.

Update. I got fsopen to work. Kinda. It runs but when im having the same mouse problems i had with diaspora. I'm really lost here. I attached a video of it here. As you can see I can't move my mouse to the bottom portion of the screen. This is stopping me from accepting any missions. I tried this in 5760x1080 as well as 1920x1080. I'm at a brick wall here.

nevermind on the video, didn't realize I can't do that here lol. Anyways, the mouse can only travel up, left, right, and down only slightly past the middle of the screen. I googled this and nothing has turned up. Same exact thing is stopping me from play Diaspora.

I dunno if u can see the mouse cursor here but this is as far down as it goes.
image.jpeg

Hmm. that is a doosy. It's like it doesn't take into account the new resolution. Might I recommend making a post here?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=151.0

I sometimes see that on my 13" laptop as it has the display settings set to increase the scale of things above 100%.
Applications not compiled with flags to state that they are aware of windows scaling often get weird glitches like that. If you have a high resolution monitor try setting the text apps and another items scale to 100%, resetting and see if that makes any difference.

I'm taking a few days off from this. In the last few days I haven't played any games because I've been obsessing over this lol. If anyone has anymore advice I will gladly try it out. I made a post at hard light as well. We shall see what happens. It is definitely a doozy. Thanks for everyones help btw. This is the best community forum I have ever found. Lots of people helping and almost no trash talking.

Well i would still ask them on their forum what the problem is, I'm sure you would get a response quickly. Their community is quite large with a lot of experts.

Well i would still ask them on their forum what the problem is, I'm sure you would get a response quickly. Their community is quite large with a lot of experts.
Thanks man. I will. I was getting overly stressed about this so I decided to step away from it for a day. I will jump back in tomorrow snd try to get this solved.

The original is prob my fav WC game, or at least the one I played most back in the day, GOG version is great, you won't regret it!
Been having major joystick problems since i got windows 10. Finally got fed up and I'm selling my ch gear. After 21 years lol. They flat out could not calibrate in privateer gog. I got saitek x 52 pro coming in tomorrow to get me by until the SC hotas is released. I totally get why RSI didn't go with CH now. Those guys just never wanna update anything.

I don't get it, if its an HID compliant device, there is no reason it should have not worked. I doubt windows 10 changed anything in the input areas, maybe they added a newer xinupt dll but dosbox wouldn't use that. Perhaps it just bit up the ghost. 21 years is a long time for potentiometers without getting the groves in them worn out. In the other thread I recommended the Thrustmaster T.16000M as it uses magnetic sensors instead of potentiometers and is extremely accurate and smooth.

Last edited:
Dosbox Privater hates my GXT 31 =(

Back