Just wanted to say thanks

Mindcrime

Commodore
Just wanted to say thanks to the teams that made my favorite mods and brought WC back to life for me.
1) Standoff. Well done you guys. Game is hard as hell but so frickin cool and fun!
2) WC Sags. How i wish WC3 looked and played like this. What a beautiful and amazing game. Thank you so much
3) Privateer Gemini Gold. I really have to thank you guys for this. See, somehow I didn't play Privateer until I played GG a few years ago. The graphics in the original were just too dated for me when I finally tried the original Privateer but then I found this. I have you guys to thank for me finally experiencing Privateer.

So thanks again you all. Your hard work is appreciated more than you know. I got so much joy from these titles. To all of you working on new mods. Just know if they get finished they will be enjoyed by many. Hell the download count for Saga passed 700,000 a long time ago. I know you will all do your best to keep Wing Commander alive. Thank you all so very much from the bottom of my heart.

Good post. Both this site and the fantastic mods you listed(haven't played PGG yet) IMO helped keep my interest and enthusiasm for space-sims alive when the genre looked all but dead and I don't doubt many others feel the same way. Even though there are big heavyweight space-sims like Elite, Eve-VR and SC coming out now I still hope to see a new Wing Commander some day even if its made by EA(Prophecy wasn't bad but missed the Kilrathi).

Partially agree.

Standoff and Unknown Enemy are stellar.
Saga is ok but falls short in many areas, like plot, immersion, acting and script.

...but PGG butchered for me what is one of the brightest gems in the Wing Commander collection. That awful Vegastrike engine, the non-moving mouths, the clunky combat, the bugs, the lack of character, the music loops, the lack of difficulty, the general lack of soul that made original Priv great.

Also i thought Saga did a great job with the voice acting and mission design. I mean, for a fan made game? Gotta give credit for all that hard work. Standoff is definitely the most unique and original of the bunch though. Anyways, I wasn't trying to open a door for critique and criticism to these peeps who worked so hard. I was just trying to show them some appreciation.

Thanks for your kind words! It's always satisfying to hear people talking about our projects in such a positive way. And I'll join in with you to thank everybody else who worked on the above projects. All of them took an enormous effort and dedication to make. Having spent a decade working on UE and then Standoff, I certainly have a great appreciation for the effort it takes to keep going on a lengthy project and bring it to completion.

Saga is ok but falls short in many areas, like plot, immersion, acting and script.

...but PGG butchered for me what is one of the brightest gems in the Wing Commander collection. That awful Vegastrike engine, the non-moving mouths, the clunky combat, the bugs, the lack of character, the music loops, the lack of difficulty, the general lack of soul that made original Priv great.
You know, there are many threads that discuss and critique the various fan projects. I don't think this is appropriate here, though. I mean, I would strongly disagree with you on Unknown Enemy being stellar - I think it's got many problems, we didn't do anywhere near as good a job as was possible even at that time, with the abilities and tools that we had available - but hindsight is 20/20, and regardless of how good it could have been, if somebody were to tell me we didn't give it our best shot, they'd get a punch in the face :). So, let's distinguish between our (subjective) opinion of the final product, and the effort and intentions behind it.

I for one would very much love to see more people pick up where the previous generation of modders left off. I may not be a fan of Saga, but would I be unhappy if somebody wanted to make something new, inspired by Saga? No, I'd be very happy. I've also never played Gemini Gold, but again - whatever I may think about Vega Strike as an engine, whatever I may think about the final quality of Gemini Gold, I greatly appreciate the effort fans put into making it, and I would be ecstatic if somebody were to do a new Gemini Gold, for example using Unity or Unreal.

im playing GG here, its a good remake of Privateer, but it saddens me that the game has no cutscenes or animations, due to Vegastrike engine limitations.

I wish I had the skills (any) that could help some these projects along. A WC remake (any of em) in the Unreal engine would blow my mind! All I can offer is voice work since I am a musician so I have professional gear for recording audio. I have Pro Tools 11 and waves plugins and a cool enough voice to help if anyone ever needs it. I would be honored to help.

Almost crapped myself when i found out i can do this in Saga last night.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

@Afrim Kosovrasti - the images are great, I suggest using spoiler tags :) My phone absolutely died trying to load this thread :D

You know, there are many threads that discuss and critique the various fan projects. I don't think this is appropriate here, though. I mean, I would strongly disagree with you on Unknown Enemy being stellar - I think it's got many problems, we didn't do anywhere near as good a job as was possible even at that time, with the abilities and tools that we had available - but hindsight is 20/20, and regardless of how good it could have been, if somebody were to tell me we didn't give it our best shot, they'd get a punch in the face :). So, let's distinguish between our (subjective) opinion of the final product, and the effort and intentions behind it.

I for one would very much love to see more people pick up where the previous generation of modders left off. I may not be a fan of Saga, but would I be unhappy if somebody wanted to make something new, inspired by Saga? No, I'd be very happy. I've also never played Gemini Gold, but again - whatever I may think about Vega Strike as an engine, whatever I may think about the final quality of Gemini Gold, I greatly appreciate the effort fans put into making it, and I would be ecstatic if somebody were to do a new Gemini Gold, for example using Unity or Unreal.

Actually, allow me to take back what I said. 'Butchered' is not the right term.

I too am grateful for all of the efforts the PGG team put towards the game, in shooting it down in the way I did I have not only come across as massively ungrateful, spoiled and arrogant - but attitudes like the one I portrayed above are out of line as the important thing is that somebody out there spent a huge amount of time trying to keep Wing Commander alive and fresh. This alone should be applauded, and just because I'm not the biggest fan of this effort doesn't give me the right to go bad mouthing it without giving credit where it's due. Some of the in-flight graphics are great, it would have taken thousands of man-hours to get all of Privateer's features shoehorned into Vegastrike. So I apologise, just on the offchance any of the developers ever see this thread.

Also, if it's so bad, why have I played it so much? :)

Last edited:
So......about putting Privateer in the Unreal engine.......any takers? A man can dream....or WC1 with the in flight missions in unreal and everything else stays untouched. That would be my second dream.

Be sure you try diaspora, the battle star galactica one. It too uses the FS2O engine, but has 3d cockpits And then post pictures. :)

Just upgraded to windows 10 a few days ago. Saga works perfectly however I wanted to try out Diaspora on Freespace open and I can't get it to run freespace open at all. I googled it didn't come up with anything. This is sad and what I feared from Windows 10. Anyone got any advice on this?

Back