Idea

What's all this talk of abandonware anyway. Abandonware is Illegal!! It's just a fancy way to say the games your pirating are old. As for EA abandoning wc or having moved on to other projects, well no they haven't. Wc1 was released on pcgamer not to long back.No that does not make it freeware. Wc2 has a very good chance of also being released through pcgamer. So clearly Wing commander has not been abandoned.

There is *actual* abandonware... but very little of it. Copyright on some games has dissapeared when a company fails. When assets are sold off/purchased and old products aren't listed as assets they aren't sold. Therefore no one owns them. Some games have also been declared unsupported freeware by their owners.

TC

so you dissagree with projects like MAME = I mean you cant buy Asteroids the arcade machine new - the board requires vector specific hardware to run it, so who are you hurting buy playing the old arcade games that we all love. I think that if a company has not re-released the original version of the game for 7 years then it should automatically become freeware, we would still, however have to wait a while to play wc1 and 2 because of KKS, but I digress, in some cases, like the very old arcade games that were anavailiable to the general public, abandonware is a good thing, but using it as an excuse not to buy games and to wait untill they are classed as abandonware is what i think has most people worried. As fot KS. I had 2 copies, I gave one away and still play my other. In my opinion, as you can no longer get it from origin or any other retail outlet, and there are no plans to re-release it, it should be made freeware, if EA cant be bothered to allow people to buy / download it. But as I say this is opinion. Please dont go into a post deleting frenzy, immature idiotic posts on abandonware are one thing, regulate them, but not at the expense of legitimate discussion. Over regulation kills.

Actually now i come to think of it, I know a few people in the rerogaming community who managed to get some games declared freeware, has anyone here ever contacted EA about WC1/2 KS being made unsupported freeware? Its not as if they are likely to make any more money out of them and it will get them a lot of free publicity in the internet community.

... but they haven't abandoned KS. They are in a sense re-releasing it. They let pcgamer have wc1 , and soon wc2. So by pirating it your hurting the chances of future such releases, and thusforth killing any profit EA would gain from them.

It's like Academy. Universal could at any it me re-release Academy, either to home video or to another network. This is very unlikely, but it could happen. As a result, downloading and hosting the episodes are technically pirating, and technnically we shouldn't be doing it, but as LOAF said we got lucky. :) They same goes with anyother game. The company that made it could at anytiem re-release them.

Look at EA. The released WCP Classic and WCP Gold. About a week ago i saw a classic game package from ea, inside were Red Alert, Alpha Centauri and WCP Gold...

So you can release anything again and again and again...

I think LOAF said something about the CIC having permission to host WCA episodes - his comment about luck was probably related to this.

And LaFong, I believe I've already explained to you why abandonware is not to be discussed. Over-regulation? Perhaps, but it has been - repeatedly - proven necessary.

When I posted my idea i did not mean abandonware what i ment was a group effort to ask origin to allow cic to host it legaly thus possibly by a group donation or just pleading and promissing to stop sending threats to them ;) . At no time did i advocate pricay or warez. Hopeful this should make it a little clearer. On another note if they just released another wc this whole problem would be mote for a while.

Yes, we have permission to host WCA. We would *like* to have permission to host WC1 in the future -- but we don't have it yet. (Origin released Ultima IV through magazine CDs, and later made it freeware...).

Originally posted by Quarto
Preaching mutiny again, eh Redwolf? :)

Think of me as your resident Fletcher Christian. Well, I'm not THAT bad, its not as if I'm like Jazz!

I just spice things up a bit :)

Why is it, that all the people nobody cares about get killed? Those poor inoccent poeple... I feel so bad... must kill.... death to... anger.. rising... violence....imminent......:)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yes, we have permission to host WCA. We would *like* to have permission to host WC1 in the future -- but we don't have it yet. (Origin released Ultima IV through magazine CDs, and later made it freeware...).
That would be great, i would love it if we could!!! But also WCII would be my fav. to have hosted since I have the WC1 cd now.

Originally posted by Dekkar
Jazz!!! Where, that bastard killed spirit, ... and her target gunner who no one payed much attention to.

No he didn't!! Did he? :confused:

(I thought Spirit died when she rammed that Space Station... had her fighter been sabotaged???)

Back