Idea

Why dont origin release a collectors edition wc pack with all the WC games, I hace loved ec since i played the first game on the Amiga. cos i have never played 2,4 and academy. anyone think origin would ever release a pack?

No one but die hard fans would buy it... the only "new" WC games are Prophecy and SO, and they are around 3 or more years older. The remaining games just don't have even that much appeal, because everthing these days has to be flashy and have prety colors.

I belive that we all do, but its not possible for some games to make it in, Privateer and Armada have problems with running under windows (they dont run under windows, not even under windows dos mode), Perhaps EA will do that but is more likely that it will not.
Why? KS did not sell a lot copys and it was a collectors edition.
Of course that I have seen a SimCity 2000 being sell today in a EA Classic CD box (not in a bargin bin or part of a collection), for some reason EA does not belive that is a market today for old WC games, not even for new ones.

Let's face it : no one would buy a horrible bunch of pixels floating in a blueish background. Except the WC vets off course, that would buy a rock if it would have the origin/WC logo in it.

[Edited by Earthworm on 03-10-2001 at 18:03]

For further reference, we don't like people talking about abandonwere (the term made up by those evil, evil pirates), and sugesting downloading the WC games.

So shut up Shooter

I manage to buy WC II after playing WC IV and I (My order of play, not buy WC III, WC armada, WC II, WC IV, WC P, WC P SO [privateers games to incluided in that list but I have those, but I played P II before P] ) and I like the game, it have old graphics but its a WC game,its far better that any Freespace game.

Many good games are "old", besides many did not have the chance to play those games, KS did not sell because it was unknow to many (I had heard about and try to find it, but no luck...) that it existed, any copy of KS that shows in Ebay is always find a buyer.
Collectors edictions of far older games do exist (sierra King Quest, Space quest and Larry have the "old" games in it), its something that have be made before.

Originally posted by Earthworm
For further reference, we don't like people talking about abandonwere (the term made up by those evil, evil pirates), and sugesting downloading the WC games.

So shut up Shooter

Well I´m sory, but I'll have to protest that. Origin wont release those games anymore. So what's your advice for someone that wants to play WC1? And please, don't say "buy them at Ebay". Not every WC Fan lives in North America you know...

indeed, take a look at the $1 bin in a book store or something,you see lots of old WC clones there, all about 6/8 years old, (star rangers anyone?)

Originally posted by Shooter
So what's your advice for someone that wants to play WC1? And please, don't say "buy them at Ebay". Not every WC Fan lives in North America you know...
You can alwasy find out if a seller will ship to your country, and I belive there is a german e-bay or such... at any case, there will be no discusion of piracy.

Dragon, there's really nothing to be gained for OSI/EA by releasing a package like that. The few copies of KS that sell for high prices aren't a valid example, because if you had a 100 KS auctioned every day, their prices would drop tremendously...

The simple fact is, that while the FMV WC games may still be interesting to the majority fo space sim fans, try to convince somone who grew up on the FS series or SL/Tachyon and other new sims, to play WC1, and they'll laugh in your face 90% of the time. Myself, I first played WC1/WC2 in early '99, having already played WC3/WC4, and even earlier than that I played Prophecy and SO, but I loved both of those games despite the oudated graphics. Unfortunetly you won't find many people that would feel this way.

O.K. guys, it all depends on your definition of "piracy". There are games in Abandonware sites that are still beeing released, and that's illegal. But that are others that... Oh hell, go to Ebay.

Shooter, I feel for you mate. These mods just don't like to talk about...contentious issues, some which would benefit mankind...or at least WC fankind.

EA has abandoned WC, why? PROFITS! Simple.

The Coward of K'Tithrak Mang was never Blair, they're closer than you think...

Here's a surgestion to end this madness once and for all why doesn't someone ask Origin if there willing to allow Cic or another site to legal have downloads of WC or possibly pay then do a system simmilar to what is beening done for accademy so that everyone has a chance??? Ala freeloader????

We talk to Origin all the time -- they're not going to let us steal their games (G) We were very, very lucky to be able to post Academy...

Back