Has anyone noticed THIS inconsistancy?

Bandit LOAF said:
This doesn't make *sense*, Earthworm... why would Panther and Richards *need* to be on the Tarawa in End Run? There's no value to lengthy explanations if they're not explaining anything.
smile.gif
Panther obviously didn't need to be there, but Richards, as an intelligence officer could have been useful during that mission. Yes, the main objective of the End Run was to split the Kilrathi fleet and give the Confed forces at Vukar a fighting chance, but they were also to inflict as much damage as possible on the Kilrathi ship building capabilities. Richards *might* have known something that would have helped with that mission. And remember, I'm not saying Richards was on the Tarawa during that particular mission, but he could have been there.

Quarto said:
Anyway, I'm not gonna bother arguing this, because your arguments are all "maybe"s.
Because that's the point. Maybe Richards was there, maybe he wasn't. There's no real evidence to tell us how it was.

I do have one question, though. If Blair wasn't a pilot or a staff officer on the Tarawa, what exactly was he? Judging from all the interaction he had with Bear, I still say he hid in the closet
smile.gif
I don't belive we're ever actually told… But he obviously wasn't a pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, quite a few things to address here.

Was Blair still in Special Operations during End Run or had he assumed command of the Concordia's Flight Wing yet?

Blair and Bear might have had contact on the Tarawa; we just didn't see it in End Run. Kind of how Khan recognized Chekov in Star Trek 2, even though Chekov wasn't part of the cast when "Space Seed" aired. After all, Blair sees Bear as his "old buddy" in the WCIV novel, and I don't think the whole affair in SO1 would warrant an "old buddy", would it?
wink2.gif

Hmmm... There was also that mysterious incident at New Sydney. I wonder what that was all about?

Oh, so Iceman survived the destruction of the Claw? I thought he died there! Hey, where does it say Blair recovered Iceman's body? I'm just curious, 'cause I don't remember reading about that (and don't laugh at me if it's actually in Prophecy, 'cause it's been ages since I played it!
smile.gif
).

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Dralthi5 said:
Oh, so Iceman survived the destruction of the Claw? I thought he died there! Hey, where does it say Blair recovered Iceman's body? I'm just curious, 'cause I don't remember reading about that (and don't laugh at me if it's actually in Prophecy, 'cause it's been ages since I played it!
smile.gif
).

Ha ha ha!
biggrin.gif

Ahem, excuse me, yes Dralthi, it was mentioned in Prophecy - Hawk tells Casey that Iceman was captured in the B'Shriss system, and Blair hauled him in after the Cats had their fun. The funny thing is that Hawk speaks of the incident as if he did serve on the 'Claw with Iceman.

Damn, if only I can get my copy of Prophecy working I can play it again!!
mad.gif
Yes, I do seem to remember that conversation, and I also got the impression that Hawk had served on the Claw as a pilot from his little speech.

------------------

Iceman survived the Tiger's Claw, as evidenced by the fact that he's one of the people flying around afterwards in the WC1/2 Official Guide.
smile.gif

Here's Hawk's past related, from the script...

<Hawk> Missed you at mess this morning.
<Casey> Yeah, I wasn't hungry.
<Hawk> You weren't in the mood to eat. That's not the same as not being hungry.
<Casey> Do you have a point, Colonel?
<Hawk> Blair. You're still blaming yourself for what happened. It's tearing you up inside. I can see it. Are you having nightmares about him yet? Sit down, Lieutenant. You know, on one of my first missions in the last war, I lost three wingmen, including two bunk mates. I was ready to sign for a psych discharge. I was a wreck. Couldn't sleep. Couldn't eat. Just kept seeing their faces every time I closed my eyes. This Major took me aside. He said, 'They're dead and you're not. Get used to it.'
<Casey> Yeah, easy for him to say!
<Hawk> Yeah. But not so easy for him to sign on as my wingman. Which he did! Next mission out, he's got my six. I'm not in the groove yet. He had to kill a clan of Cats until I got myself together.
<Casey> Who was it? Blair?
<Hawk> Your father.
<Casey> My father?
<Hawk> Now, get some sleep, get something to eat and forget about Blair. You're a good pilot and you're still alive. You should try to stay that way.
<Casey> Is that what my father would have said?

Annnd...

<CAG> So, these are your mission objectives. And if there's no further feedback from Hawk or Maniac? Then you are dismissed. Good luck.
<Casey> You okay?
<Hawk> I joined this man's space force to skin Cats, not to hold their paws. I feel like I was better off in the Union of Border Worlds. At least there we knew who our enemies were.
<Casey> Look, Hawk, you like it or not you're going to have to put all this behind you. Like I did with Blair. You taught me that!
<Hawk> You ever read the mission report on the day your Dad went KIA?
<Casey> Yeah, he was on a deep space patrol in the B'shriss system when the Kilrathi jumped him.
<Hawk> But, one small detail was omitted from that report. Blair found his lifepod. Brought it in. Iceman was inside-- in pieces. The Cats pulled him in, had their fun, and sent him home. Not exactly a hero's death, huh? So, we omitted it from the mission log to spare the family. Trust me, kid. I know you're trying to help. But I owe those Cats a whole lot of payback, and so do you! See you on deck.

And of course...

<Casey> Hawk was a good man.
<Spyder> Hawk was nuts. All work and no play. A real load of laughs.
<Casey> You sound like you didn't like him.
<Spyder> I understood him. He couldn't help being who he was. The Cats made him that way. Hawk's home planet was Mylon Two, a colony at the edge of the Rim. One of the Cats' first targets in the Galactic War. They terraformed it with proton bombs.
<Casey> How did Hawk survive it?
<Spyder> He was away at the Academy. Came back to find everything and everyone he had ever known had been blown to dust. Hawk died on Mylon Two, today was just a formality. Hey, kid. Hawk would've wanted you to have that.

Now some of us don't possess the much lauded WC1/2 Official Guide, LOAF.

Anyway, those conversations were helpful. Also, and this might've mentioned below so forgive me if it is, but if Hawk attended OCS, then why was he at the Academy?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited October 31, 2000).]

Of course -- if you owned toe WC1/2 Guide, you wouldn't need me to tell you what's in it. Duh...
smile.gif

OCS, then flight school -- which is at the Academy.
smile.gif

Ah, then that must be different from what the Confed Handbook says (that flight school's on Sirius).

------------------

Err, yes -- this is the same flight school we see in Wing Commander *Academy*.

You're probably thinking of the *Fleet* Academy, which is in Houston. SF Academy is on Hilthros, in the Sirius System.

Heh, we don't need to go to an academy to fly, we use what's called a <explaining to dumb child tone> sim-u-la-tor.
smile.gif

The Academy is the equivalent of a University -- you have a major, and study lots of things other than flying. In fact, you only do *basic* flight training at the academy -- advanced flight school comes after graduation.

I understand all that, LOAF, I was kidding. Say, why did you splash a pic of Hadrian for Halloween, anyway? I don't think that's very nice.

It's because Hadrian's scary looking...

TC

------------------
Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

I think he means that the horrifying sight of Hadrian was mean to *Him*, not to Had.
smile.gif

That explains that, then, 'cause I was under the impression Hilthros was in Proxima, for some reason. Oh, and I've never played nor seen Wing Commander: Academy (depending on which one you're talking 'bout, that is).

I know the difference between the Space Force Academy and the Fleet Academy, thank you very much.

And I'm sure not everybody at the Academy undergoes flight training. Wing Commander seems to be under the impression that every SF officer has to be a pilot.

------------------

Of course not, only 200 of the 1,200 people of an Academy class become fighter pilots. Of course, SFROTC programs at colleges and such also turns out officers who will become pilots, since far more than 200 pilots are needed in a year (G)

Nothing but a horse... of course. Sorry, had to say that.

Techs are part of the space force too, aren't they? And actually, I did mean that it wasn't nice to say Hadrian is scary. Oh well, must be a staff joke.

Pretty much all of the techs we see in WC are Navy, seems to me.

------------------

Yeah, well, in ICIS, Rachel has the rank "Master CPO". I'm assuming that means Chief Petty Officer, which I'm sure is a Space Force rank. Sparks was also a CPO.

Back