gotta be WCTV

I must state that Babylon 5 ran at about one million dollars an episode like TNG, but TNG ended in 94, prices are sure to have gone up since then, whereas the 5th season was made in 98, and crusade in 99, so perhaps $1 million would be the probable cost of a WCTV show.

WCA was successful, but not in the appropriate demographic. Hence it was canceled.

TC

Pity.

"Hey, look WCA isn't doing as well as we hoped in the target audience, but the teens/young adults love it!"

"Really? Fine, let's axe it then."

Well, it probably didn't go exactly like that, but killing a show because it did well in the wrong demographic seems silly to me.

And no, let's concentrate on the music petition for now.

USA axed all their childrens programming at the same time, when they decided to stop trying to appeal to children.

USA is USA Network ???
If, Yes, do you know if they put WCA in other countries in USA Network ????

The series has run at least here twice here in NZ that I know, again on one of the free to air stations.

Best, Raptor

Hmm... I think that even if Chris Roberts could make a WC TV series, it wouldn't really get anywhere. The way he goes over budget, how many episodes would be finished before somebody woke up and pulled the plug? ;)

Originally posted by TC
WCA was successful, but not in the appropriate demographic. Hence it was canceled.
Wait a minute - the series was cancelled because it didn't appeal to the right demographic? How does that work? Next you're going to tell me that the networks will pull 'Survivor' because it promotes backstabbing. Or the radio stations will stop airing Howard Stern or Dr. Laura because they're offensive to some people.

I've always thought that the networks operate under the "cash is king" principle. If it draws viewers, it should draw advertisers, which in turn make the network money.

I don't think it was really one show didn't do good so lets kill it. All of the childrens programming as a whole wasn't really brining in the cash. So instead of keeping the one or two that were, the axed the whole thing.

You can't sell the same products at 10;00 AM on Saturday morning as you can during primetime -- WCA didn't appeal to children, and thus couldn't make money advertising.

Whoever came up with the idea to make WCA a cartoon anyway? Weren't WC3 and 4 rated "Mature"? I'm almost positive at least WC4 was. That's crazy.

Same thing with Mortal Kombat. Although I think MK appealed to kids a bit more than it did adults, the games were still rated either Teen or Mature.

The TV Industry and American society as a whole at the time WCA was made: i.e. "Video games are for kids. Cartoons are for kids. They have the same audiance, don't they?" This view changed recently due to nostalga (sp?) and experience, but it still applies to things such as animation and console games.

Video game ratings mean absolutely nothing -- they're optional to the game designers and game stores generally don't take them seriously...

No, I think mine pretty much all have that European Leisure Software label. I don't know if stores are supposed to take them seriously, but none of them do.

Back