FB-202 "Ghoul" Long Range Fighter/Bomber

There's another idea Howard...For the pod - Interchangeable modules...Depending on the mission it could have an ECM/jamming system, AWACS module, a torpedo launching system (good size for something like that)...Hell, comparing the size of it to the cockpit, you could even equip it with a spec-ops human cargo pod that could be used for covert insertions etc...

Wouldn't have to change much...Probably just slice that pod at about a third of the length back from the front and modify it there.

Also, a question...I'm wondering about the top centre "wing" or fin...I know you're just going off the concept art for the most part but I note that this fin looks to be structurally separate to the rest of the ship...In most cases, you'd expect a fin like that to blend with the rest of the ship to some extent. Simply from a structural strength point of view, it tends to look like a weak point in the design. It almost looks like it has some hidden functionality...Like it folds or something. Any thoughts on that or are you just going with what looked good on the page?

If I had to find a reason for it I'd suggest it might be so the fighter can land on smaller, cramped carriers and that it can in fact fold 90 degrees to one side to reduce it's clearance on the hangar deck.

Even if you say it still needs some tweaks it looks very good.
What I noticed is that the textures look a bit more worn out then I would aspect it from a brand new fighter...or is this one that has already seen some action?
I just have the image of the Vampire in mind that was very shine.
Thanks. I see what you mean about the textures - but still Even the very newest of fighters is relatively dirty. Even the F-22 on it's first roll-out had some rather spectacular patina.

Great Work,
especially the Kilrathi Fighter looks excellent.
Yeah it definitely seems to be the favorite. :D

Well I sorted out the render-speed issues. I use FinalRender and after a lot of experimenting, I turned on Micro-Triangle Displacement and just did a render with the ship filling half the frame at 1920 x 1080 in 36 seconds. MUCH better. :D
Ah, that was the problem. This thing is definitely designed to be used with the default scanline renderer - and anything else will give you problems.

On the Goblin - I have two suggestions/observations for what they're worth...
First, the cockpit canopy...It looks a little...CG at the moment...I'm not talking about the materials but the shape itself...It just looks a little off and takes away from the "realism" (in inverted commas because the thing is a science-fiction fighter after all ;)) of the rest of the ship. I think the lack of support for all that glass is part of what is making it look off to me. It's a matter of personal preference though.
Well, even that center support is more than the concept art had. I think it will look more believable once I get the cockpit in there.

Second - The area under the cockpit where you have what look like cooling ports for the nose-mounted cannon...That area just screams to have a shark-teeth design like the Vampire...If not this version, perhaps a pirate variation?
At the end of the day, it's a badass design either way. :)
Good idea - those aren't nose cannons though - those are something else. Just a detail I cribbed from the Panther and Vampire.

Its a great design and a very beautiful ship, i just cant see the point for that bottom fin. Looks so much like a b-wing(star wars, not the b2 bomber :) ) because of it. That's at least what i noticed just now...
Awesome work Howard.
Any vaguely "t" shaped fighter is going to have that problem - this one has it far less than most. The engines, weapons, cockpit, side profile, etc are very different from the B-Wing. I think it's a wonderful design that stands well on it's own.

Well.. the fin could be part of a long range comm array.. or some sort of active or passive scanning system.. it could house EM jamming gear..
There are any number of techno-babbly reasons for having it.. personally, I like the fin..:D
Awesome job on both ships Howard! Thanks for putting in all the effort!
-Capn
Or the fin is just there to provide more leverage for the maneuvering thrusters on it's tip. You're right, there are dozens of reasons for it's existence...and in the grand scheme of things, it provides absolutely no problem for a landed version. The Weapons pod is far more of a problem. >*epiphany*< Which I've just solved!

There's another idea Howard...For the pod - Interchangeable modules...Depending on the mission it could have an ECM/jamming system, AWACS module, a torpedo launching system (good size for something like that)...Hell, comparing the size of it to the cockpit, you could even equip it with a spec-ops human cargo pod that could be used for covert insertions etc...
Wouldn't have to change much...Probably just slice that pod at about a third of the length back from the front and modify it there.
It's a wonderful idea, and one I'd like to follow - but I'm at the point of wrapping this up and moving onto something else. If I stay focused on one thing too long I start to really dislike it. Keep in mind - too long is around 4 months. :D

Also, a question...I'm wondering about the top centre "wing" or fin...I know you're just going off the concept art for the most part but I note that this fin looks to be structurally separate to the rest of the ship...In most cases, you'd expect a fin like that to blend with the rest of the ship to some extent. Simply from a structural strength point of view, it tends to look like a weak point in the design. It almost looks like it has some hidden functionality...Like it folds or something. Any thoughts on that or are you just going with what looked good on the page?
Just going with the concept art on that. It's pretty un-ovensive, and really doesn't get in the way.

Ad one more movie for your enjoyment...
http://www.hedfiles.net/~hday/goblin10a.mov

so.. you're moving on to new projects.. hmm..

*cough*

Feng's Kilrathi Cruiser and/or Confed "Utah" Cruiser!!

*cough*

:D

Nope. :D
Anyhow, here's an update. I've completed everything but the cockpit interior. Working on a launch animation now.

Attachments

• goblin85.jpg
    goblin85.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 233
  • goblin84.jpg
    goblin84.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 235
  • goblin81.jpg
    goblin81.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 277
  • goblin80.jpg
    goblin80.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 218
That's fantastic! I like how you solved the "unclicking" of the lower section.

Bravo good sir!

Very nice Howard, it's now my new desktop picture! I was surprised you went Confed with it, to me it looked like a successor to the Border Worlds Banshee fighter from WCIV.

attachment.php

wc4banshee.jpg

Hopefully things are moving along with the Privateer Mod? I'm interested in playing that when it's finished. If it's not happening, I hope you'll use your talent to contribute to other fan Mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• goblin0200.jpg
    goblin0200.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 178
  • goblin0134.jpg
    goblin0134.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 191
  • goblin0109.jpg
    goblin0109.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 179
  • goblin0066.jpg