FB-202 "Ghoul" Long Range Fighter/Bomber

Lars: Sure, I could do a low-res version, no problem. Would not be a problem. Especially considering how much attention this is getting.
Thats greate.

I also like your solution for landing this baby. Its a bit odd to look at the first time but could work.

One thing that's important to keep the WC feel is that ships must have the ability to land on their own, just like our WW2-onward figthers. To make this concept ship land, here's what I'd do: remove the ventral fin and have the botton pod slide (or retract) under the main body of the ship.

I don't know, it seems to me that it lands in exactly the same way as Wing Commander IV's Banshee fighter...

(... off screen!)

Well, I must admit Howard's landing gear and slightly folding bottom pod looks convincing so far !

Any chance the babe will be painted on the fuselage ? :p

Super Triple Awesome x9!!!!!!!!!
Glad you like it. I'm taking a bit of a break from it right now to focus on the Kilrathi fighter - I think I'll get back and put the landing gear in there, but no promises. :D
so being the smart aleck engineer......Snip...And doesn't change the fact it's an awesome looking ship.
Yeah, the more off-axis the thrusters, the more leverage they have overall of rotational force. It does make for a pretty ship, though.

I love the kneeling gear, it reminds me of the F7U Cutlass, another oddball design.
Not sure why it'd remind you of that plane specifically - but I agree - the Cutlass was a bit of an odd duck.

Thats greate.

I also like your solution for landing this baby. Its a bit odd to look at the first time but could work.
Yeah, it actually looks really neat from the front in that kneeling pose - almost like it wants to leap off the deck.

I don't know, it seems to me that it lands in exactly the same way as Wing Commander IV's Banshee fighter...

(... off screen!)
Heh, heh. I would love to be able to get away with that...but this damn OCD seems to be getting in the way.

That thing has an awesome stance waiting for launch - looks plenty believable to me.
Well, I must admit Howard's landing gear and slightly folding bottom pod looks convincing so far !
Any chance the babe will be painted on the fuselage ? :p
Thanks, and I'm actually tempted to make the first Nose art be an Angry Loaf.

Okay, quick update on the kilrathi fighter - I really like how this is going. It's a much simpler shape than the Goblin, so it's much easier to focus in on the details. Again, the bottom and right-hand side are still very much under construction. :D
Enjoy.

Attachments

• KF1.jpg
    KF1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 226
  • KF2.jpg
    KF2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 251
  • KF3.jpg
    KF3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 188
Wait...what? How is that a bad thing? Joel's still grinding on the code, admittedly much more slowly than I'd like, but that's only because he has a life, and I've chosen to forgo that little bit of joy. Plus, we've been working hard on various game projects (rent paying projects) at our company - and that tends to take serious time away from the side projects. Anyhow, work progresses.

That's really good to hear!

And here's a render of the Kilrathi fighter in progress - done mostly last night and rendered just now.
I'd love some names for this thing - I've been thinking along the lines of the Drakhri MK 5 or something along those lines.. Maybe Krant MK3 or something like that.
Hmm. I would suggest coming up with a completely new name for it. Naming something along the lines of "X mk. Y" is kinda cheap - and this coming from someone who actually did just that :p. We named our frigate in Standoff "Targu II", and looking back, I'm not too happy with that. The frigate has nothing to do with the original Targu frigate from Action Stations, the name was really just used to keep us closer to the canon (...which is silly - how is making a new name up different from adding a new number after an existing name?). So, in retrospect, I'm much, much happier with what I did in UE, where we gave the Kilrathi WC3 corvette a name that sounded similar to the name of the WC2 corvette.

Thing is, we don't understand Kilrathi (neither did the creators of the various WC games, of course :p ), but it's evident that these names are not just random combinations of letters. If you look at WC1 and WC2, you'll notice that you had two destroyers both starting with "Ral", two cruisers starting with "Fral", two bombers starting with "Gr", two heavy fighters starting with "Jal", two light fighters starting with "Sa", and finally two bat-winged medium fighters starting with "Dra". Of course, the later games kinda threw this out the window, but at least in WC2, it was clearly intentional. So, if you're making a bat-winged fighter, and the only other ideas are "Dralthi Mk. X", then try naming it "Drakhiri" or "Dr'ratha" or "Drak'hari", or... well, you get the picture. A name derived from "Krant", "Hhriss", "Kor'larh", or "Jrathek", or, well any other Kilrathi fighter would be fine too, with the appropriate backstory. I think any such names will ultimately be better than merely another Dralthi Mk. X or Krant Mk. X.

Well argued, Quarto. I think I'll do just that - I hearby name it the "Drakhthli". Any objections?
Good.
So here's where it's at - Mostly done - still details to add on the bottom and secondary wings. And cockpit details for the interior, of course. And a second texture pass - still lots to do.
Here's a spin-round of the ship without it's secondary wing - I think this thing looks badass - I can easily see this in any post-WC3 game.
http://www.hedfiles.net/~hday/drakthli02.mov
Thoughts?
Enjoy.

Attachments

• drakthli10.jpg
    drakthli10.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 401
  • drakthli11.jpg
    drakthli11.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 362
Well argued, Quarto. I think I'll do just that - I hearby name it the "Drakhthli". Any objections?
Whoa, that's a lot of consonants :D.

But sure, why not? I mean, just because I have difficulty saying it doesn't mean the Kilrathi would ;).

Still, I would suggest adding a glottal stop after the first "h" - Drakh'thli. That makes the word just slightly more manageable in pronunciation, while still sounding very alien.

Quarto: Heh, thanks - I think the guttural stop is a good idea as well...Drak'thli...Nice.
Eder: Took me a moment to get it - my mind was so entangled in Kilrathi pronunciations, I completely missed what you were saying. :p
Dundradal:Indeed - it looks even better with it's textures done.
And here they are!

http://www.hedfiles.net/~hday/drakthli06.mov
Still have the cockpit stuff to add, but mostly everything else it there.
Any thoughts?
Enjoy!

Attachments

• KFFighter10112.jpg
    KFFighter10112.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 240
  • KFFighter10068.jpg
    KFFighter10068.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 250
  • KFFighter10003.jpg
    KFFighter10003.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 284