Are we a dying breed?

Ronin Fox

Spaceman
By "dying breed", I mean fans of the one-and-only, butt-kickin', Flash-Pak'in', genetically modified Seether. Does anybody else like him, as in, hold him in VERY high regard? I played through WC4 multiple times (I lost count, really) and always didn't tag along with Eisen during his defection to the Border Worlds... just so I could stay at Confed a little while longer and have Seether as my wingman for that ONE measly mission! He's the BEST pilot of them all! Okay, so he never follows any other orders except "Break and attack", and attacks even when you don't give the order... but, hey, it's all part of his attitude! I know, he's a bad guy... a VERY bad guy..... a VERY, VERY, VERY bad guy..... but who cares? He's way cool! Anyone else share my (twisted, yes, I know) opinion?

Very bad guy? He's a freaking Nazi, and he's killing inocent civilians. That's very cool.:D

Not to mention that his character is never developed beyond a cold blooded son-of-a bIatch, and he's a sucky pilot. I've faced generic pilots in WC4, that weren't even aces, and were flying inferior ships, that were harder to kill.

If that's what Tolwyn had in mind for an improved race of warriors... Than the Confederation would be doomed, and would fold under an attack by the Landreich fleet.:)

Yah...

..... Yes, he is a cold-blooded killer of innocent civilians. That's why I set up a special save on my memory card... *sniffle* just before the final confrontation with him. *sob!* Some Seether fan I am..... I've used that save dozens and dozens of times to KILL Seether over and over again! Gyah! (I just got SO ticked off with him by the end of the fourth disc)

People are probably laughing at me now..... I can perfectly understand why...

In my personal opinion, someone as a self-proclaimed warrior like Seether shouldn't sink to destroying civilian ships, like in the beginning. He is a skilled fighter, but he lacks any honor to win my respect. He's an evil guy and whatnot, but he picks targets he knows he can pick off... and then reality bites him hard when he targets Blair.

In a way, Seether was like Flash when he first apeared. They both didn't care. The only differences is that Flash wasn't GE and he worked out the issues he had.

Wha? Seether DID care. He cared about the projects businesses, and the WC4 novel shows quite nicelly how irritated he is because of Paulsons mistakes that eventually cause the project to loose their main mobile base (the Lex), therefore delaying their plans.

Robert Rusler

Yah, I've developed quite a liking for that actor (Robert Rusler) ever since WC4. Some of his other film credits involve Weird Science, Amityville 3 and Sometimes They Come Back Again (all minor roles). He played the hero... the HERO, mind you!... in the movie Crisis in the Kremlin. The film wasn't that great, though, and I liked seeing the guy as Seether much better than as a CIA agent.

Hmm... personally, I thought he went over the top. The way he laughed was just lame - pointless and rather forced.

Heh heh!

GYAHAHAHAHAHAH! I don't mind Seether's laugh... I grew up with an uncle who laughed JUST like that, so I'm VERY used to it. And... heh heh... yes, he was in _Weird Science_ (shock horror) ... and one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies (how'd HE get there?)... Wouldn't it be funny if it was really Seether -- not the actor, but Seether himself -- in those films? You'd be hearing that trademark laugh every five minutes! That'd make for a GREAT movie, eh? *snicker snicker snicker*

I find it weird that someone who's made to be perfect turns out to be insane.

[Edited by Cricket on 01-02-2001 at 00:08]

Seether's a creampuff in the game, Ronin. All he makes is a good lackey for Tolwyn. While he's good at accomplishing a mission objective, he's no leader. The only thing about him that's truly admirable is his physical capacities.

Interestingly, Robert Rusler played a great role in Babylon 5 throughout the second season as Squadron Commander Warren Keffer who was actually pretty much the opposite of Seether, a real good guy character. And he was kind of the window the viewers had into the existence of the pilots, who had always been portrayed as real people with families who risked their lives for Earth. After he left, that humanity was really played down and they just became 'people who fly fighters'.

As far as Seether is concerned though, every hero needs a nemesis and so Seether is the Thrakath of Wing4. Everything he did was supposed to add to the effect that he was pure evil, like blowing up those civies, to really build up some hate and anger toward him, and it works - for me at least.

But then there's that whole other shock thing he's got going, like when he kills Paulsen. You gotta admit, you couldn't quite suppress a tiny sadistic grin at that point. Something about that utter evil coldness has a certain amount of appeal, no matter how small, to... "our darker nature."

As for his combat AI, it seems to me that it's not awfully unlike Maniac's...

Originally posted by Griffin
As far as Seether is concerned though, every hero needs a nemesis and so Seether is the Thrakath of Wing4.
No, that would be Tolwyn, even if for the most part you didn't know he was evil. Seether was Tolwyns goffy sidekick that could never be developed beyond an unholly buthole.:)
I had a tougher time against Maniac at the start of the game, than against Seether...

Earthworm: "I had a tougher time against Maniac at the start of the game, than against Seether..."
I would attribute that difficulty to the fact that you're flying Hellcats ;)

yeah, hellcats with the missles disabled. That makes it even worse. My way of beating seether was to come to a complete stop right before he came & link my missles with the b button, then when he got there turn my ship towards his and fire all my dumbfires at him. Hehe gets him every time :). Oh how I loved the b button, it's how I took down all the cap ships in wc4. I think the only time I used torps was in one mission with the dragon.

[Edited by Dekkar on 01-03-2001 at 12:26]

Originally posted by Griffin
But then there's that whole other shock thing he's got going, like when he kills Paulsen. You gotta admit, you couldn't quite suppress a tiny sadistic grin at that point.

Or a look of wide-eyed shock..... I thought Paulsen was a real jerk, but his sudden murder caught me quite off-guard. The tiny sadistic grin came a bit later. Delayed reaction.

I've been playing through the game again recently, and I've found minor-character wingmen (the ones who aren't main characters like Maniac) with AI better than, or as good as Seether's (at least, from my experience): Primate, Staples and Hazard. Among the major characters, my best guy is Hawk. He _rocks_. And he's a lot of fun to have around ("Yesss! Look at 'em burn!").

Interestingly, Robert Rusler played a great role in Babylon 5 throughout the second season as Squadron Commander Warren Keffer who was actually pretty much the opposite of Seether, a real good guy character.

Argh, how could I forget? Warren Keffer. I never got to catch any episodes with him in them, since I'm not a Babylon 5 viewer and I only learned of the character's existence when I ran an Internet search on Robert Rusler (okay, okay, I admit it all, I'm a helplessly devoted fan).

Originally posted by Penguin

I would attribute that difficulty to the fact that you're flying Hellcats ;)
Your point being?:) You're flying against them in the same ships they are, so this shouldn't make any difference.

yeah, hellcats with the missles disabled. That makes it even worse.
No it doesn't...;-)

There are many ways of killing Seether, and some of them don't require you to even fire a single missile.

*KABOOM!*

There are many ways of killing Seether, and some of them don't require you to even fire a single missile.

Oh please, tell me, tell me! I don't want to waste any more missiles on him! (I'm playing through the game _again_... can't get enough...)

I don't know if this was just a glitch in the game or something like that... but once, while I was lying in wait for Seether to uncloak (I was keeping perfectly still, mind you), he uncloaked RIGHT IN FRONT of me and SMASHED into my fighter. Gaaaaack! How dumb is that?!? Or maybe it was an accident? Well, if so... So much for genetic perfection! Wah hah hah hah haaaaah!

Back