Any Privateer Trade games ONLINE??

>I shall toy with my prey.

Ok this should be fun to hear

>EA didn't suddenly wake up in the morning and decide that >UO2 wouldn't be profitable.

Really?

>If they were going to realize that UO2 would simply take >people away from UO, they could have done so without w>asting millions of dollars and two years of development.

UO2 wouldnt take away from UO. Most of the People that play UO own more than one account and as such i doubt they would mind dropping the cost of that extra account to play both UO and UO2..

>People had been sobbing about this from the day the >project was announced

What people? Do you actualy PLAY uo? Do you realise that I hadn't met a SINGLE person in my gaming that thought UO2 was a bad idea, in fact a lot of them were looking forward to it, so who are these people??

>-- EA didn't care, and there was no reason for them >to 'suddenly' change their minds.

Its called money, whatever the root of this shutdown was it was about money, for WHATEVER REASON UO2 would not have been profitable, i didint say it wouldnt SELL to the market or that it wouldn't have the support and stability that UO has.....

I clearly said that it wouldn't be feasible, and in case you didn't do business at college which i did, let me inform you that the feasability of a business whilst tied to other factors comes down to one question

Q. Can this business MAKE money?
A. Yes, it can.... then do it
A. No, it cant [enter reason] then dont do it

So you are trying to RESPOND to my point without actualy understanding what i have said, now WHO is the moron?

>So what happened? Something that doesn't have anything to >do with money. Richard Garriott -- and don't laugh.

LOL

>Certainly, it can be written off as a big coincidence that >UO2 was cancelled at the same exact moment as he was ready >to announce Destination Games...

It was before this, about 2 months before i remember

>But look at what's happened *since* the whole mess of >craziness -- RG has picked up nearly every UO team member >anyone's ever heard of. These are people who were employed >by Origin who chose to leave for whatever he's doing.

Chose to leave? they were fired, big difference there!!

>Thus, it's rather apparent that he's doing something that >people will risk trading in their steady jobs for.

Its called creativity and job satisfaction. Garriot wont amount to anything without the support of ORIGIN because he has had his 5minutes, sold his soul to EA and got fired because he wasnt needed anymore

Im sure his new game will be quite entertaining but it wont rival anything mainstream!

>Electronic Arts *knew* this. By cancelling UO2 they escape >all the negative press they'd have recieved if the entire >UO2 team were to be hired away in such a fashion...

OMFG ur such a damn idiot!!

So your WHOLE argument is based that UO2 was canceled because they were AFRAID that Garriot MIGHT try and poach them from their quite secure contracts.....

Rememeber when LB quit and he coudlnt talk for like a year about his work in ultima..... that was sewn into his contract by the same people that made up the DEVELOPERS of UO2 contracts

Do you really think that they would let a 50million$ project go down the pans because Garriot does a JEERY MAGUIRE asking "WHO WILL COME WITH HIM" and they all leave?

No, like football players they will be tied to a contract and if they DID have a get out clause it would prevent them from working for another company in the same market for a year or more.....

Now, idiot of the year2001, can u please STFU unless u actualy know what you are talking about

Hehehe. You're one of those adorable morons I wish we'd get more of.

Rule 5) Since there are different people of different tastes and points of view, let's just say our opinions in a nice way and respect the others' reasonable opinions. Flames or other outright abusive language is not tolerated.

You'd better change your tone if you plan on staying here much longer. We don't allow anyone to be harrassed, administrator, moderator, or regular member.

Now, idiot of the year2001, can u please STFU unless u actualy know what you are talking about

You make a compelling case, assuming that your argument is that you're an incompetant troll who should be banned. Otherwise...

RG's non-compete agreement stated that he couldn't talk about what he was doing for exactly one year... it also included a clause that he couldn't hire people away from the UO2 team -- for exactly one year. This clause existed for a reason... EA intended to ship UO2 within this timeframe -- they didn't, and dropped the project immediately.

Experienced software developers are *not* tied down by contracts -- they are used by smaller companies to keep people from being hired away from the larger houses... but generally only 'new' people are suckered into taking them -- people like Starr Long and the rest of the UO2 team would not have been (which should be quite clear, since Destination has managed to pick up plenty of *current* Origin employees...).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I shall toy with my prey.

Ho boy...That's a scary thought...I'd watch out kid, LOAF is known to school entire sectors worth of WC fans...

Have you been to the destination games webpage?

they have 4 links
1. Is a link back to the main page
2. Is a list of BIOS [im thinking a very long list but it consists only of LB, his idiot brother and Star Long]
3. A Press release basicaly that says Garriot and his brother setup this new company funded by KOREA's largest online games company... you should really read this, its a hoot
4. Add urself to their mailing list link

I couldn't stop myself from laughing all the way through reading this site...

I can actualy see the RED letters on this new companies bank statements now!

Point 1: Garriot sold Origin to EA to support the UO project, if he didint there wouldn't have been a UO
Point 2: Garriot was booted out of Origin for the reason that he simply was of no use to the company any more
Point 3: If Garriot was not of use to UO, what possible use could he impose upon the gaming industry

Asherons Call, funded by Microsoft, the biggest software company in the world and AC is generaly considered as popular as the old Meridian59 game

Everquest, actualy weak for a long time in the market but is becomming quite a player

Ultima Online, the biggest online persistent world state game around with over 200,000 subscribing accounts

Nevewinternights, soon to be the biggest online RPG game not because its produced by BG makers, black isle and bioware but because it wont charge for use! and allows 100% creativity in the users

Destinations Games Input??? Come on, do you really think that Garriot can challenge Ultima Online? I barely think it could challenge AC

Garriot leaving and UO2 falling apart had nothing to do with one another..

If they were so scared of this happening why would they pump MILLIONS of $$$'s into after his departure?? stupiditiy??

NO, oh and btw in house programmers and developers for ORIGIN were and are tied down to specific contracts... much the reason why Star Long didint leave with garriot, he didint get fired but wanted to leave BUT ORIGIN execs decided he was needed

ok can we drop this, im getting sick of having to explain basic shit like this to moronic half breeds like you

Originally posted by Malfus
ok can we drop this, im getting sick of having to explain basic shit like this to moronic half breeds like you

:: Sniff Sniff :: I smell something burning! Either...

1.) That's an attempted flame
2.) That's your last synapse burning out and leaving you like a lumpy, rotten peice of fruit baking in the sun
3.) The series of ImRec missiles I'm launching at your house
4.) The disugusting air of a person with dirt poor grammar, wits, intellignce, taste, tact, diplomacy or manners.
5.) LOAF schooling your stupid rear end

I think its all of them... :D

Have fun doing whatever you do...like...being angry and abusive to administrators and posters and...talking about snow and perogies or whatever... ;)

hehe i wish i had left it at my original point

that i was right with my original statement and this half arsed admin decides to try and challenge the point i made by agreeing with me

i said

"uo2 wasnt feasible so it was axed"

he said

"uo2 would have made money but there were other reasons it was axed"

now...... all i said was it wasnt feasible, the answer to this was that it would have made money BUT... so basicaly an agreement of my point

Either way, i was right and this numbskull tried to disagree with me but ended up agreeing with me

if i had JUST left it at that then fine, it would have been ok but i attacked HIS point which was illogical anyways, we get into this ruckus and who knows wtf the original point was

I think the original point is moot by now. You've insulted at least one person, an Administrator none-the-less. This isn't a 5th grade playground, where you make fun of people without reguard. Keep this up and I promise upon Sivar herself that you will be banned with sickening ferocity and that I will rend and cook your flesh and feed it to the beasts and the birds of the woods! :mad:

That coining of "Titus Anderonicus" was brought to you by LeHah. LeHah: When you need a wingman you can count on! :D

Have you been to the destination games webpage?

I'd be willing to bet that I've been to *more* of the DG site than you have <G> (The press release thing they gave out at the press conference gives the login for their FTP stuff... so us wacky members of the press can download *high res* pictures of Starr Long!).

they have 4 links
1. Is a link back to the main page
2. Is a list of BIOS [im thinking a very long list but it consists only of LB, his idiot brother and Star Long]
3. A Press release basicaly that says Garriot and his brother setup this new company funded by KOREA's largest online games company... you should really read this, its a hoot
4. Add urself to their mailing list link

A WEB SITE?!?!?! WITH LINKS?!?!?! AND BIOS?! OH NO! I don't think any sane person could have any idea what you're talking about... I mean, you could be describing any gaming companies site... Origin, Digital Anvil...

I would also argue that Robert is probably the more intelligent Garriott -- he's the one responsible for their financial security... he worked for years as an EA executive, and made crazy stock money.

As for NCSoft... their Linneage currently has the largest subscriber base of any MMP game. Amazing as it sounds, there are people *outside* the US...!

I couldn't stop myself from laughing all the way through reading this site...

That's probably because you're really stupid.

I can actualy see the RED letters on this new companies bank statements now!

I hate to bring facts into this, but since DG and NCSoft are now the same company, and NCSoft is one of the most profitable gaming companies in the world, I don't think they're in much debt. :)

Point 1: Garriot sold Origin to EA to support the UO project, if he didint there wouldn't have been a UO

That's entirely untrue -- EA bought Origin in 1992... Origin lacked the ability to publish their own titles... thus, selling to EA was a good idea at the time. (Everything before WC2 Deluxe was published through a deal with Broderbund, using their facilities...)

Point 2: Garriot was booted out of Origin for the reason that he simply was of no use to the company any more

Sterile conjecture -- Garriot was booted out of Origin because he had no interest in doing UO2.

Point 3: If Garriot was not of use to UO, what possible use could he impose upon the gaming industry

Garriot left/was forced out because he had no interest in continuing to churn out MMP Ultima titles -- recall that he and Long begged EA *not* to do UO2 some years back. Not wanting to squeeze out more Ultima titles doesn't really negate the fact that he's a brilliant and charismatic game producer -- a bane to an established company like EA, but certaily an invaluable tool for a startup.

Asherons Call, funded by Microsoft, the biggest software company in the world and AC is generaly considered as popular as the old Meridian59 game

Why are you talking about AC?

Everquest, actualy weak for a long time in the market but is becomming quite a player

You're dumb.

Ultima Online, the biggest online persistent world state game around with over 200,000 subscribing accounts

!!!

Nevewinternights, soon to be the biggest online RPG game not because its produced by BG makers, black isle and bioware but because it wont charge for use! and allows 100% creativity in the users

Now I get it... you're a *crazy* stupid person.

Destinations Games Input??? Come on, do you really think that Garriot can challenge Ultima Online? I barely think it could challenge AC

And you're ever so good at thinking!

Garriot leaving and UO2 falling apart had nothing to do with one another..

Other way around.

If they were so scared of this happening why would they pump MILLIONS of $$$'s into after his departure?? stupiditiy??

... to finish the title before Garriott was legally able to hire people away. I already explained that to you. His non-compete stipulated that he could not hire away people from Origin for one year.

NO, oh and btw in house programmers and developers for ORIGIN were and are tied down to specific contracts... much the reason why Star Long didint leave with garriot, he didint get fired but wanted to leave BUT ORIGIN execs decided he was needed

That's not true -- Origin has been responsible for creating plenty of close-knit teams that go on to quit and make their own competing games <G> Raph Kosters SWG team, for instance... or all the people leaving UO!Live to work with RG... or Chris and Erin and Tony with DA...

A *racist* crazy stupid person!

A Press release basicaly that says Garriot and his brother setup this new company funded by KOREA's largest online games company... you should really read this, its a hoot

Yes... that's funny... y'know, since Korea is one of the biggest markets for games in the world... There are 45 million people in Korea. There's one Korean online game with over 2 million subscribers. ONE GAME. Half of the StarCrafts sold in the world were sold in Korea... Yep... it's really funny that one would be funded by a company from Korea...

TC

Combined with RG's immense popularity in Asia, Destination should go far... (Ultima has a life all its own in Japan!)

I promised LeHah I'd ban him after I'd had my fun and before I went home... and I'm going home now!

Many thanks LOAF! I was getting sick of listening to that 'swabbie' run his mouth off! :D

Can I get a special rank too? Not a bad one like Swabbie but something like "LOAF's offical bodyguard" or "Master of WC Music" or something? Please? ;)

You could get the "Blair/Hamill fan club" special icon, maybe... :)

BTW, LOAF... Am I permitted to have my own icon as well, now that I'm a Major General?

Wow, that's great! :cool:

How does it work? When I choose my icon, do I have to make it available on some site of my own, so you guys can include it in my rank pic with the [ img] [ /img] command, or do I have to send a sample to you LOAF?

Back