Any New Plans For WC Games?

1.) Why don't you start making it?
2.) Why don't you finish it unlike so many fan projects?

I seriously doubt a tv series will be the deciding factor for any new WC games. I mean, if funds are the issue, look at how much was spent on the games with the FMV's, here your dealing with just as much if not more expense putting on a tv show, even if EA is not footing the bill, it will still be a huge expense. So I think the tv thing wont do anything to sway EA to create any new WC game.

I think that if anything that *might* give EA a nudge to start thinking about a new WC game, it would be the WCP GameBoy version and its results when released. Sort of gives EA a chance to "test the waters" to see if it grabs more interest, increase the fanbase or whatever. Its a perfect marketing research tool, that EA wont have to spend a dime on, just sit back and watch the numbers.

Who knows. Corporate marketing "gurus" tend to follow the trends. Many game companies pay attention to their fans, and build new games based on what the fans want. That has been the base foundation to many well known game creators such as ID Software and their games. The created their games to be so highly modifiable by the end user, it greatly extended the lifespan and playability of the games they created, and in turn, increased the sales.

How many anticipated before hearing any inside details about WCP, that it would have mulitplayer capabilities, or had hoped that it would have mulitplayer capabilities?

And if it did, would your WCP CD's be collecting dust right now, or loaded up and every single one of you right now would be happily fireing missiles at each other? !!!

They had a chance to fix that when they released WCP/SO. But didint. But they did manage to produce SO and release it for free, that is admirable and much appreciated. But what happens when the last mission is won, the battle is over, and you've played the same missions over and over and over, you begin to recite the com's chat and lines by memory with your eyes closed shut and your ears plugged! That becomes boaring real quick. So we rely on fan made mods to further enhance the game, and strech its lifespan. Some of them are very good too!

But like all great classic movies or tv shows or music, after not hearing or seeing them for awhile, when you do revisit them, they seem to be like new again. We can be thankfull that OSI and CR started something great, and we can be thankfull for places like the CIC for keeping that alive. WC deserves more than just an afterthought. It deserves to be in the forefront. And someday, just maybe the WC words will once again flash across our screens with exciting new challenges and stories.

Keep the faith fellow pilots! :)

Originally posted by RFBurns
I seriously doubt a tv series will be the deciding factor for any new WC games. I mean, if funds are the issue, look at how much was spent on the games with the FMV's, here your dealing with just as much if not more expense putting on a tv show, even if EA is not footing the bill, it will still be a huge expense. So I think the tv thing wont do anything to sway EA to create any new WC game.

Yes, and no, imho. There is a critical threshold at which I suspect EA would make a new WC game no matter what, but I suspect the show would have to have popularity levels beyond those of Babylon 5 in order to have that occur... But even moderate popularity would probably cause someone at EA to float the idea.
However, as I mentioned, a new WC game doesn't have to be a space combat sim. I don't know what other ideas they might come up with (probably won't know that until the show is released), and the idea doesn't entirely sit well with me, but it is another option for EA.

lehah < i'm on many projects. most are still going on. and i dont mean WC related projects. mostly quake stuff. in any case, vega strike would be a good engine to work with. it has room to grow, its ez to modify, and its multiplayer. and the multiplayer is being worked on right now to allow for bigger games. i might as well come up with a design doc and contact some mod teams and see if they would be interested in unifying under some project.

-scheherazad

Hmm, have not thought of a WC game not being a space sim, something like a role playing game you mean?

Now there is something to think about! :)

Who knows, maybe this tv thing might help, it certianly couldnt hurt. But I never count the chickens till the eggs hatch, I think everyone should consider this with WC. Lets see what develops with the GBA WCP release. I bet there are thousands of GBA players out there who have never heard of WC, and have now seen the promos for the new GBA WCP, and that can increase the fanbase, and perhaps put a fire under EA to at least consider that increase in the fanbase.

If they do, and decide to create a new WC game, continuing the storyline or timeline, or something completely different, they MUST listen to the fanbase, put mulitplayer in the game, make the game expandable at the fanbase level, be it creating new missions or ships, make that easy to implement into the game, and perhaps even release soruce code for independant developers to further enhance the game. Again, referencing to other game companies, they do these things becasue it streches the lifespan and re-playability of the game. Even after 7 years, the game "Quake 1", and even "Doom" is still being played on servers with huge participant numbers. They are old games yes, but continue to strive because of one simple thing the game makers did......

....they listened to the fans and meet their requests for what they wanted in the games. Even very old classic games were re-made into new games such as ID's "Return to Castle Wolfenstein". They are also in the works to revive Doom.

EA can simply take a look at what other game developers are doing and follow their lead. Just like anything else, if you want to be a success, you must follow the ones succeding, and do something that extends the success further.

I keep the faith that EA is in fact on the sidelines, listening, watching very quietly in the shadows. I keep the faith that EA will surprise us all one day, and WC once again rise like a pheonix from the dark ashes of "put on hold".

EA can simply take a look at what other game developers are doing and follow their lead. Just like anything else, if you want to be a success, you must follow the ones succeding, and do something that extends the success further.

That's not really the best attitude... if everyone followed it, you'd be screwed... It is however, how the game industry's been going for quite a number of years...

TC- That would depend on who you follow. I would imagine that a person who follows someone off a cliff, will end up just as dead as the fella who jumped first. But if that fella decided to follow the guy who walked the other direction, he too will walk away from the cliff and survive.

I think the game industry does exactly this. It follows certian trends. Some survive, some dont. Those that do survive stay ahead of the game per say, and develop new things to create new markets, or add something new to exsisting markets. And a majority of them do listen to their customers. Its no different from a car maker selling a new type of car. The first one is out, its bought, and changes are made to that car in later models that reflect what the consumer wants. Thats the competitive nature of business. Games are no different. To survive in today's extremely competitive business world, you have to be up to date with what is new and who is new on the block, and do it better than them. Otherwise, your subject to fade away and become an afterthought.

I certianly do not want to see WC approach that point. And it has come very close. Had not this new GBA WCP game been announced, WC would not have a means to put itself back into the spotlight, and pull in potential new customers. Thats why I think that the GBA game will be a perfect research platform for EA to seriously take a look at where the trend is. They obviously know that the regular WC fanbase will be purchasing this GBA game. But those numbers wont mean anything to EA unless this new GBA pulls in new numbers. They wont create a new WC game just becasue the current fanbase rushes out and buys the GBA WCP version. They would make a new WC game if the fanbase of WC inceases to a point where there is a new demand, a new market per say.

If there is great numbers of demands for something, a manufacturer or buisness always adjusts to meet that demand in order to stay in business, otherwise, they end up putting "going out of buisness" signs on their doors and websites.

Hmm, have not thought of a WC game not being a space sim, something like a role playing game you mean?

Now there is something to think about! :)
The recent Farscape game (which is a tactical squad based game, iirc - not exactly WC compatible) is what put me in mind of this. I haven't got a clue what form another game might take, but it is a thought. The important thing about this, imho, is that it would revive the value of the brand name. The GBA release is doing this, as well, but the more machines that good WC games can be released on, the better.

Who knows, maybe this tv thing might help, it certianly couldnt hurt. But I never count the chickens till the eggs hatch, I think everyone should consider this with WC. Lets see what develops with the GBA WCP release. I bet there are thousands of GBA players out there who have never heard of WC, and have now seen the promos for the new GBA WCP, and that can increase the fanbase, and perhaps put a fire under EA to at least consider that increase in the fanbase.

If they do, and decide to create a new WC game, continuing the storyline or timeline, or something completely different, they MUST listen to the fanbase, put mulitplayer in the game, make the game expandable at the fanbase level, be it creating new missions or ships, make that easy to implement into the game, and perhaps even release soruce code for independant developers to further enhance the game. Again, referencing to other game companies, they do these things becasue it streches the lifespan and re-playability of the game. Even after 7 years, the game "Quake 1", and even "Doom" is still being played on servers with huge participant numbers. They are old games yes, but continue to strive because of one simple thing the game makers did......

In today's market, multi-play and editor are pretty much required. I can't think of a single big game in the past few years that hasn't allowed both - with the possible exception of some of the RPGs. If a new WC is released, I don't think EA will be able to ignore these areas. I would hope that it's next to impossible for them to even conceive of ignoring these areas.
As for the TV show inspiring a new game...
I know that the idea has some merit. Hopefully the TV show will be good enough and popular enough to draw the sort of attention that would encourage another game. But at the same time, I do have some slight concerns over what the resulting game would be like. I'd like to see the end of the Nephilim story before we go gallavanting off on a completely different game story, and because I'm certain that the TV show will not be about the Nephilim, and because a popular TV show would encourage a game based on the TV show, I am a little nervous about what might result.
But something is almost always better than nothing.

....they listened to the fans and meet their requests for what they wanted in the games. Even very old classic games were re-made into new games such as ID's "Return to Castle Wolfenstein". They are also in the works to revive Doom.

I keep the faith that EA is in fact on the sidelines, listening, watching very quietly in the shadows. I keep the faith that EA will surprise us all one day, and WC once again rise like a pheonix from the dark ashes of "put on hold".

The new Doom worries me. I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be a very pretty, but very disappointing over-hyped game. Guess we'll see when it arrives.
However, as you point out, it is probably going to be a successful use of a brand name, and we can only hope that EA chooses to do the same with WC, and is also successful in that endeavor.

Originally posted by junior
The new Doom worries me. I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be a very pretty, but very disappointing over-hyped game.
Eh, most people probably aren't excited about Doom III because of Doom III. They're most likely excited because of Team Fortress and Jailbreak and Counter-Strike.

"Eh, most people probably aren't excited about Doom III because of Doom I"

go to IRC enterthegame.net and say that... heh.

theres different circles in FPS game play. depends waht are you're in. if you are big on quake and UT, then you're anticipating doom3. if you're in other areas, you prolly just heard it was coming and didnt care enought to even read a preview.

-scheherazade

Originally posted by scheherazade go to IRC enterthegame.net and say that... heh.
Yes, because a single IRC channel is certainly representative of the community as a whole.

its where most the quake3 community hangs out.
they are expecting doom3.
just to say there is someone, and its a sizeable amount.
lotsa clans, etc.

and its no secret most people who play quake also played doom, and have some level of nostalgia.

besides doom3 is expected to sell large amounts, without advertising hype or anything. its just known people will buy it. its doom. 'DOOM'. just because it is what it is. its expected follow its older brothers, who for their time were blockbusters.

of course some people like it for other reasons, but they aren't the popular sentiment.

its just doom. the name speaks for itself. its a legacy.

just like if there was a new WC game. i'd buy it. its WC. i wanna play through the story, no matter how much i dont like where its going.

-scheherazade

Originally posted by scheherazade
its where most the quake3 community hangs out.
Yes, I'm sure that most of the hundreds of thousands of people who bought Quake games hang out there.

I think you're missing my point, so I'll say it more carefully: I seriously doubt that there are more people excitedly awaiting Doom III for Doom III's sake than there are because of what previous games of the type have spun off in recent years (Team Fortress, Jailbreak, Counter-Strike.) I don't deny that somewhere there must exist a person who even now gleefully anticipates Doom III simply because they want to play Doom III, but they'd be in the minority.

Whats this about DooM 3 not being good and just hyped? Well, perhaps you should look at DooM and DooM 2. What is there? Killing... endless, mindnumbing, productivity destroying killing. As long as they encorporate this key feature, DooM 3 will live up to, and maybe surpass it's predecessors. :D

Ohh, if you can't tell, I'm waiting for DooM 3 because of the first two games of that name.

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
Whats this about DooM 3 not being good and just hyped? Well, perhaps you should look at DooM and DooM 2. What is there? Killing... endless, mindnumbing, productivity destroying killing. As long as they encorporate this key feature, DooM 3 will live up to, and maybe surpass it's predecessors. :D

Perhaps, but that's not the reason that Doom 3 is being hyped. Its being hyped because of its wonderful graphics, cut scenes, etc...
And to be frank, it takes a more than mindless slaughter to make a good FPS anymore. AvP 2 is a pretty good fps. But I hear that the expansion is pretty bad.

Originally posted by junior
And to be frank, it takes a more than mindless slaughter to make a good FPS anymore.
Correction: It takes more than mindless slaughter to make snobby game rags give your game a good score, but people will buy it anyway.

frosty < i'm in the quake3 modding community and i've been in cpl tourneys. not like that matters but it just shows i'm involved for long enough to see whats going on. there are a certain kind of quake player that i am referring to. not everyone that bought the game, but those that bought it and still play it every day right now. thats a pretty big community. and the popular sentiment in this community is that doom3 will kick butt.

the channel i mentioned is just a place where over time most the active organized quake3 players have coalesced. i never said it was the only place, nor that all were there. and i dont consider someone who bought quake3, played it a bit, and maybe still does once a month part of the quake3 community. i mean the daily players.

people tend to go to one thing or another. you got the UT lovers, the q3 lovers, the cs lovers, all with some overlap. but its mostly separated by a good bit. and i'm sure you'll love to be scinical about that, but if it werent true you'd not hear arguments of 'FPS A is great and FPS B sucks' all over. and if you dont hear that you're not very deep into fps'.

i'm partial to quake3. i spend my time playing it, and mods for it, and participating in online events with other people that play it. so i can attest to this community alone. by popular sentiment, they are mostly all expecting doom3. and its not a small community.

just go about connecting to quake3 servers and asking people if they are anticipating doom3. keep doing it till you're satisfied. you'll see that most the answers you'll get are a yes. doom3 talk has been around servers for a while. not so much now cause whatever there was to say has been said. but if you were there to hear it you'd see that the doom3 hype was a big deal in the quake3 community for a good while.

i'm not sure what you really mean by the other spinoffs. there have been a few good mods and stuff like that. but cs is the only really big one that came out of any. you got popular mods like urban terror, but cs is the only one thats so popular that it crossed the 'game bias barrier' in force. and its wearing off. new cs wont take over many new people. its just gonna replace the current cs population with itself. doom3 will prolly take a bit of the quake3 community, but not that much. it doesnt have good multiplayer so quake3 will still live in large amounts. for the same reason it wont take many UT players. they'll play UT2003 like they do now. i anticipate a lot of people will buy doom3, play it, finish it, and that'll be all she wrote for them. but the online community will be pretty small. not small, but smaller than quake/ut/cs. just cause of the 4 player cap on multiplayer. plus P2P networking will keep the player counts from growing big beyond that. its hard to do. you need about 3k upload per connection to maintain good gameplay. so a 768/128 dsl connection will only suppoirt 5 people tops. 12.8k / 3 ~ 4. + yourself. games with more than 4 people will shift to cable people since they on average have more up. though id prolly put in some shrunken data since you get it diret. you can afford to be less accurate in p2p since the direct connection benefit makes up for it. the limited networking put a lot of people off... a LOT. i believe the titles you mentioned will get a lot more online attention than doom3. maybe doom3 will get more at the start just case its doom3, but it'll wear off fast. it'll not grow as big as CS. definately. and since the new CS will assimilate the old one, tehn ya, the new cs will get more attention than doom3 in the long run. but as for other titles, its hard to say much. besides battlefield 1942 and medal of honor, not many fps' have gotten tremendously popular beyond q3 and ut and cs. but then again its time. q3 is getting old, ut2003 took the ut community over, but it didnt offer that much to them over UT. i dont know really. if doom3 were star architecture, or hybrid, i'd say it would be the next big thing. but since its p2p, i think other new titles will do very well vs it in the fps crowd.

-scheherazade

You should really read my posts before you reply to them.

I'm sure everyone is eagerly anticipating Doom III, I know I sure am! I'll bet everyone thinks it'll rock, I know I sure do! But my whole point is more about why people think that.

Doom III will be much more significant because of the games and mods that are based off of it than for the game itself, and everyone - or almost everyone - knows that.

I never claimed that very few people were excited about it. In fact, I said pretty much the exact opposite. I simply also stated that a lot more people are probably interested in Doom III not for it's own sake, but for what it will spawn over time, than not.

sorry then, i mistook this for sying not many will : "I don't deny that somewhere there must exist a person who even now gleefully anticipates Doom III simply because they want to play Doom III, but they'd be in the minority."

btw, i edited my last post with a rant of what i feel will become of fps'. check it out. maybe tell me what you anticipate as a whole.

OH!
"Eh, most people probably aren't excited about Doom III because of Doom III. They're most likely excited because of Team Fortress and Jailbreak and Counter-Strike."

you meant doom3 mods!. i misunderstood and thought you meant the new games that are coming out that are based off of mods. i just saw counter strike and dissociated the other 2 since all 3 couldnt be doom3 mods. mixxed me up there :)

ya i do agree mods will be a driving force in doom3. but for now i think it'll be limited, just cause of the multiplayer cap. carmack said nerve will do a multiplayer expansion that will up the cap to 8. so i think there is room to grow, but i donno how much. the game itself is written around single player, which makes it really hard to do MP with it well. lotsa stuff is time critical and good multiplayer architeture is latency conductive. which doom3 isnt. carmack never said he chose p2p becase doom3 is single player based, but its a good reason. doom original was p2p also, and also sp based. p2p has lots less latency than star, and sp games are very latency intollerant. i have an mp3 of him giving a speach where he talks about how he wrote doom3 to be sp first above all, and how its intollerant to lag. the physics and UI is tied together much more than it should be for a mp oriented game, and any late stuff has a much larger effect on gameplay than it would in quake3. i can send you the mp3 if you like. its pretty neat. he goes off on new techniques, the hardware evolution path, iterative opengl rendering, etc. jsut interesting stuff.

actually now that i think about it, it would make more sense to expect doom3 for doom3. the limited multiplayer will make mods very limited too. and so far mods in fps' are usually multiplayer things. i guess people that know whats happening with doom3 either lost a lot of interest cause of the limitations, or still want to cause they just want doom3. that would leave a lot of players that want it just for itself. but thena gain a lot of people dont know about this. many even think doom3 will be cooperative. that was a big disappointment for me btw. but oh well. i plan on making a doom3 mod that adds coop. and that adds teamplay where one team takes over control of monsters and fights the other team as marines. should be a quick hack. i expect it to be cool at least.

-scheherazade

Back