Any New Plans For WC Games?

mmitchell86

Spaceman
As the title says, are there any plans for new WC games for the PC?

This post probably goes to show how much i follow WC:confused:

Michael

Doesn't Vega Strike and OpenPrivateer qualify as planned PC-WCs? Well, not like they're made by Origin or anything... but they're... kind of related, aren't they...?

I think Vega Strike stopped being Wing Commander-related a long time ago. It's "in the spirit of Elite" now, or somesuch.

Remember, EA never said there would never be another WC game made. They just said it was put on hold... and for good reason (in their minds), as the space-sim genre hasn't sold as well for a while, even for great games like X-Wing: Alliance.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I think Vega Strike stopped being Wing Commander-related a long time ago. It's "in the spirit of Elite" now, or somesuch.

Plz elaborate: How is it like Elite?...

(rhetorical question: What the heck IS "Elite", and why does the name sound maddeningly, vaguely familiar to me?...)

Privateer is based on Elite.Elite is an old but also very very great game.Its not exactly a space sim.You can buy your own ship,fly missions , trade goods etc...Imagine an old Privateer.....

Its sequel was Frontier which was also very good..

Thats all Preacher

About any new Wcgame....Except of the official, Prophecy for GBA, I dont think there will be any other from Origin......Damn...

BUT even if they are not official`s Im really waiting for UnkownEnemy and Standoff like real official WCgames....

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
Privateer is based on Elite.Elite is an old but also very very great game.Its not exactly a space sim.You can buy your own ship,fly missions , trade goods etc...Imagine an old Privateer.....

Its sequel was Frontier which was also very good..

Thats all Preacher

About any new Wcgame....Except of the official, Prophecy for GBA, I dont think there will be any other from Origin......Damn...

Elite's got a kind of odd status. I don't think I've ever seen it in a store, and among many gamers, its not very well known. But if you're into space sims, chances are that you've heard of it, and it has a fairly fanatical following. Its similar in concept to Privateer, with I-War physics, and no plot line (which for many players is a good thing). I played it once on a friend's computer, but couldn't get used to the physics (it was on a keyboard, which didn't help), and promptly crashed when I tried to dock (there's a computer assisted dock, but it costs money...).
Actually, I should probably try and dig up a copy again.

As far as new WC games go, yes, I'm sure there eventually will be one. Either Ultima will finally collapse, and EA will sell off Origin to someone who's interested in the once great Origin brand names, or space combat sims will pick up again, and EA will decide its time to revive a possible cash cow. It could also work out that Earth and Beyond is amazingly successful, and EA turns the Wing Commander brand name over to Westwood, and "suggests" that they make more space games.
Finally, if the Wing Commander TV show is successful, then I think we can count on new games with the title Wing Commander, although I can't guarantee that they'll be space combat sims.

Yes, Thats true maybe if the TV series will be successfull Origin and the Big mother EA:)mad: ) will reconsider about WingCommander...I dont know, Just Hope but the whole WingCommander Team doesnt work for Origin anymore, so Im afraid that if there will be a new Wc game,its not gonna be as good as the previous....maybe ,I dont know.

P.S. I got an Elite Copy but its not working...DAmn

P.S.2 LeHa you are a crazy man:p

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
BUT even if they are not official`s Im really waiting for UnkownEnemy and Standoff like real official WCgames....
You should have put "waiting" in all caps instead of "but."

Originally posted by I'm thinkin...
If the people at EA had any brains, when and if they do decide to resurrect WC they would pick up where it was left off.

If they have any brains, they'll position the game where it will make them the most money. If the TV show is a success, and EA decides to restart the series, expect to see a game that's somehow tied to the story of the TV show.
Of course, depending on how the licensing arrangement was worked out, the game might only be linked to the TV series in a very tenuous fashion. Its also completely possible that the game wouldn't even be a space combat sim, but rather something completely different.
While I'd like to see the Nephilim story continued, I'd be plenty happy just to get a new good Wing Commander product.

Right now there's only two things that I'm confident about.
1.) There's a TV show in the works.
2.) The opposition in the show will almost certainly be Kilrathi, and will definitely not be Nephilim.

that's if the show gets off the ground.... since the amerian tv world is good at destroying good shows before thye get off the ground like "my guide to becoming a rock star"... but i would love to see it at least make it to the screens... at least one show

Don't you see? EA is *EAVIL*! They're a *company*! Not like Origin! They're always doing evil things like trying to make money! And producing computer games! And their symbol used to have *SHAPES* in it! *SHAPES*! Any Ultima fan can tell you what's wrong with *SHAPES*!

EA is not in business to make games, they're in business to make money. Their one and only obligation and responsibility - and the only reason for their existence - is to make a profit for their shareholders, that's it. If they believe the best way to go about meeting that objective doesn't include WC, you can't really get mad at them for it.

It's unfortunate, but space sims are a genre that's not consistently popular, and this is aggravated by the fact that when it is popular, half of the games that comprise the category suck a fat wang.

It doesn't do any good or make any sense to rail on about how it's all evil/stupid EA's fault and blah blah blah. Die. Just sit quietly and eventually, you'll get what you waited for.

all the fan projects should get together and make a WC mmorpg.

have the timeline start at wc1 and get to the end of wc4, and then loop.

the history is scripted to initiate. but the events happen how they happen. people can influence them and lead the timeline in different ways.

people would be able to enlist, or be privateers, etc. get ranks, etc.

then when the history completes, it loops over and you keep your old rank, or if you were a privateer, your old stuff.

get to play over and over, etc.

have low ranks assign you ships, then you get to choose your own once you are a 'wing commander'.

privateers before they build up some money would also be stuck with the same stuff for a bit, so it would turn out the same for them as enlistees. they need $, enlistees need rank.

if everyone worked together on a single project, it would go far and fast.

get CVS set up, a sourceforge project, and distribute tasks, etc. get this thing off and running. its all doable. and its not too terribly hard either.

just imagine the possibilities.

-scheherazade

Back