Alpha Test Game 7

Well, that turn looks like conclusive proof that flak is working.

Also looks like I'll need to spawn some more units shortly. Looks like Victory to the Kilrathi (forgetting my Corvette).

9CP: Alright...assuming for a minute that we're going with the interpretation that moving out of a flak field opens you up to being hit (which, incidentally, I still think is crap), I can understand why Alpha bought it last turn. What happened to Beta, then? At Speed 1 on a bank to starboard, he should've skirted the flak, not flown through it at all.

9CP: Alright...assuming for a minute that we're going with the interpretation that moving out of a flak field opens you up to being hit (which, incidentally, I still think is crap), I can understand why Alpha bought it last turn. What happened to Beta, then? At Speed 1 on a bank to starboard, he should've skirted the flak, not flown through it at all.
I'll wait for Ironduke to get back to me on if 'leaving' a flak field counts. It is easy enough to remove this if he disagrees.

As for beta, I'll have to step through it and let you know; feel free to hold it up until I get back to you, likely not before tomorrow.

As for beta, I'll have to step through it and let you know; feel free to hold it up until I get back to you, likely not before tomorrow.

Um.......pretty sure I can't hold the game back at the moment, on account of, well, being dead...

Okay so the answer to this is that at speed 1, a bank is simply go forward 1. The way banking is coded, it moves you forward half your speed, rounded up and then banks, then moves whatever is remaining. Since [ceil(0.5) = 1], we're stuck going forward.

This is another great question for Ironduke, if he wants me to code a special exception for a speed 1 bank to just be the bank part, or if it should indeed perform as exactly described in the rules, which resulted in the above.
Um.......pretty sure I can't hold the game back at the moment, on account of, well, being dead...
Whoops. Yeah good point. New ships for everyone!

To say that again: everyone owes orders now, even if you thought your orders were in.

Ah.......re-reading the rules tonight, I can see that what should've happened to Beta did happen. Oh well. My fault for going after Scratch when I should've been concentrating on the other cat fighters...

Hey Avacar; do we need to send Ironduke a reminder? I mean, it's been a month......

Noticed the clock says he signed in a day ago; that might've reflected the last time he signed in for Game 5. Is the code currently supposed to be drawing a distinction between the two games as far as when people signed in?

I was going to suggest making this a two player match at this point between me and Wowskyguy, but I see that Chernikov did come back to put in moves for Gamma2 and Delta2.

Sorry guys, I missed the "great refitting" and really just checked Game 5. I'm not using my PC that often anymore, which is why this happened in the first place...

As for the flak issue: At least the (as of yet unpublished) version 0.15 of the game's manual states that flak hits ships without phase shielding moving to or through a flak hex. So you shouldn't get hit leaving a flak hex - if that was your question. (Just once if your movement ends on a flak hex, or you're passing one during movement phase.)

Sorry guys, I missed the "great refitting" and really just checked Game 5. I'm not using my PC that often anymore, which is why this happened in the first place...

As for the flak issue: At least the (as of yet unpublished) version 0.15 of the game's manual states that flak hits ships without phase shielding moving to or through a flak hex. So you shouldn't get hit leaving a flak hex - if that was your question. (Just once if your movement ends on a flak hex, or you're passing one during movement phase.)

Somehow I got logged out of the forum, I kept checking it, but seeing no new posts. After two months, this got me suspicious, and I realized they were dated far more recently than I had thought. logging in, suddenly it lit up again.

Well, clearly that's a rule misunderstanding on my part. As of now, *leaving* a flak square is at no risk to you.

Ironduke, the follow up to this is, when a flak is fired at a ship, does it immediately try to hit the ship? At the moment, that doesn't seem to be working (but I think I had tried to code it). If this answer is no, then you would never want to fire flak directly at a ship, since it would only leave the flak square. If the answer is yes then I need to look into why they aren't trying to hit upon "arrival" in a hex.

No, flak shouldn't be used to target other ships directly. I thought of it being a more passive way to hinder enemy movement - lay some defensive flak fire in hex grids where you think an enemy might pass during its next movement phase. (In case of bombers, it's of course a bit more predictable.) If it would hit enemies directly, flak fire would be too overpowered in my opinion.

Sorry about that, I guess time just slipped by on me. I've put in my orders.

What are the outstanding game-rule behaviour bugs? I *think* we've squashed most. Beyond coding friendly fire, do you guys feel we're ready to move on to the Phase 6 testing?

I got a notice this morning that Turn 8's movement phase is finally online. Personally, I think six years is a bit long of a wait, but...

Some definite issues going on with the interface at the moment.

Yes, I got notified about this as well... not sure why. A bunch of turns going in.

Are people actually playing out the rest of this test game? If so, I can dive into the issues related to the interface; clearly something to do with an upgraded PHP on the server versus the version I was using at the time.

And further, if people are the ones putting in orders... welcome back? What's currently broken from the interface that you've found?

Been meaning to respond for quite some time here. Looks like it was me, Avacar and Wowskyguy playing this match. It's been long enough ago since I put in my movement orders for the next turn that I think we can safely safe nobody's actually playing it. Either that or I can't remember how the hell I'm supposed to put the movement orders in.

Getting a lot of .php errors cropping up in the site. Also, the link to the rules seems to have rotted away; @delMar asked about them just the other day. Luckily I still had a copy of the game materials.
Out of curiosity, has any development occurred on the campaign rules since the last time the .pdf was updated?

Back