A New Enemy for Confed??

At the risk of touching off a flamewar...I thought the Shivans in FS were pretty well done. They didn't talk and their anatomy was fr34ky. The big problem with that is you sometimes have trouble following up...since if you add more info about the race, you run the risk of taking away the fr34k factor...just look at the Borg in Voyager...or the Nephilim...after they started talking my suspension of disbelief reached an all-time low.

I'd like to see biological ships -- not 'organic' like the Nephilim... but actual living ships. Like big space fish you fight...

Yeah, same here... the worst part about B5 is that it popularized the bioubership - as in, "LOOKIE I LAUNCH SUPERMISSILES FROM MY @$$ AND MY SPITTLE BLOW UP STAR SYSTEMS AND I HAVE INVUNERACABLE BIOARMOR CAN BE CLONED 354089835432 TIMES! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA".

And of course Starcraft created the current trend of Human \ Bugs \ Supersmartpsychicaliendudes...

Personally, what I want to see is something about the Steltek...the giant spacecell thing hasn't been done too often...it's the closest you get to original in this business.

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Personally, what I want to see is something about the Steltek...
Me too - again, after (or perhaps involved in) the Nephilim conflict. Trouble is, what can you do with a species which has all but given up it's aggression and technological superiority? Rogues, maybe? [But surely they would have shown up somewhere causing havoc...]

Originally posted by Bob McDob
At the risk of touching off a flamewar...
[Y'know, it's statements like these which spark flamewars, isn't it? ;)]

How about a prequel? :p 'The Rise and Fall of the Steltek Empire' or something like that...

Originally posted by Wedge009
Not for the poor citizens of the Confederation, it wouldn't. I think they've suffered enough already. Yes, I know, it's 'only' a game.

Actually, I didn't even think along those lines. Confed itself would have serious problems if it became the "No Man's Land" for two sides fighting it out. My thoughts were more along the lines of, "Confed Expeditionary Fleet goes through the wormhole and gets caught between two different sides of a conflict while attempting to find a way to deny passage to Confed space." Each side in the conflict would have its principles, but specific missions might include other races, as well.
Of course, you'd have to come up with a reason why Confed didn't just join up with the other side (well, not really, but I think it would make for a better game if Confed didn't join up), so the new players would probably be evil. And in an odd twist, you could have the side the Nephilim are on turn out to be races that Confed can actually peacefully coexist with.

Originally posted by junior
My thoughts were more along the lines of, "Confed Expeditionary Fleet goes through the wormhole and gets caught between two different sides of a conflict while attempting to find a way to deny passage to Confed space."
I had wished a similar thing (although it wouldn't be an "expeditionary" force, that's for sure) for a continuation of the Nephilm conflict. In fact, LOAF has said before that Origin had planned a SO sequel to be called "Strike Team". Alas, it never came to be...

Originally posted by junior
And in an odd twist, you could have the side the Nephilim are on turn out to be races that Confed can actually peacefully coexist with.
That would be a very odd twist :) I'd find that hard to swallow, especially since Confed didn't become 'allies' with the Kilrathi until after the war was over.

[I think they (the scriptwriters) deliberately tried to make the Nephilim worse than the Kilrathi. To have another faction introduced as being even worse than the Nephilim seems a bit repetitive. Similar to the Star Wars novels how every new threat is worse than the last.]

New Races to Fight

I personally thought the story concept for the BattleTech cartoon series was cool. A group of people split from society and fled to the stars. Centuries later the society is attacked and come to find out it is the ancestors of the splinter group. They have created their own culture, weapons, and technology. Not to mention history, myths, and legends. I am not saying it should be a Pilgrim thing but surely in all those years there were more than one splinter group.

oh well enough of my two-cents.

Originally posted by Michael_A
...the ancestors of the splinter group.
I assume you meant descendants, else that doesn't make sense to me.

Originally posted by Michael_A
I am not saying it should be a Pilgrim thing...
I was just going to say, that sounds too much like the Pilgrims.

That would be a very odd twist :) I'd find that hard to swallow, especially since Confed didn't become 'allies' with the Kilrathi until after the war was over.

[I think they (the scriptwriters) deliberately tried to make the Nephilim worse than the Kilrathi. To have another faction introduced as being even worse than the Nephilim seems a bit repetitive. Similar to the Star Wars novels how every new threat is worse than the last.]

Generally, the Nephilim are pretty bad. There is one very strange oddity, however, which comes up in a conversation Finley has with Casey.
Despite the fact that the Nephilim are involved in the wholesale slaughter and destruction of entire sectors of space, they are curious about humans because humans have the ability to kill without feeling remorse.
Now admittedly, the Kilrathi have this ability as well, but it does seem like an odd trait for the relentless bug horde to be focusing in on.

Perhaps they might be willing to ally themselves with some Humans after all... provided we all become remorseless killers like the Black Lance.

Though it's true, why aren't they interested in Kilrathi the same way? On the other hand, who says they aren't. Admittedly, there were only Human prisoners on Dula 7, well prisoner, ie Blair, but I suppose there could be a back-story explaining that Kilrathi were rescued too, or perhaps they comitted suicide rather than they remain in captivity.

That's a lot of speculation. :)

Star Control 3. 'Nuff said.

Though it makes one wonder of possible parallels between the Eternal Ones and Nephilim

Perhaps they might be willing to ally themselves with some Humans after all... provided we all become remorseless killers like the Black Lance.

Though it's true, why aren't they interested in Kilrathi the same way? On the other hand, who says they aren't. Admittedly, there were only Human prisoners on Dula 7, well prisoner, ie Blair, but I suppose there could be a back-story explaining that Kilrathi were rescued too, or perhaps they comitted suicide rather than they remain in captivity.

That's a lot of speculation. :)

My thoughts on that would entale some of the following: Having taken the first ship inspected by the Midway's crew, the Kilrathi were cut up, and Dula 7 was a Kilrathi station (wasn't it?). Should this be true, it would seem to make sense that the Kilrathi were examined as well, although since they make no referances, we don't know. But still, the likelihood of it is rather high, I would figure.

As an extra tidbit, I was talking to a co-worker of mine (who's on this big, spirituality/origins of mankind thing lately) and we came up with the question, what if there are other humans out in space? Not humanoid, but I mean actual human beings. (Same genetic make-up type of situation.) Just something I've never seen in any sci-fi world, and it does seem to have a lower likelihood than different alien races, but still, it would be in the realm of possibility-and that would make for a wierd exchange/parallel of history/technology between two star faring human empires.

We're not really "star faring" yet, just you wait. :) (I GUESS you could say, since we're in WC's world, that we'd be a Confederation, but damn it! I came up with the idea, so it's MY empire! ;) )

We always think that a race has to be warlike and conquering. What about a very paranoid race that is afraid of every new race they encounter 'cause it can be dangerous to them, so the try to wipe out them before they threat them?

Originally posted by Lynx
We always think that a race has to be warlike and conquering. What about a very paranoid race that is afraid of every new race they encounter 'cause it can be dangerous to them, so the try to wipe out them before they threat them?

How about this, instead?
Its an extremely paranoid race that takes note of the developing bipedal felines living next door and decides to influence the evolution of a race of primates located on another nearby world.

Oh, wait. Already been done...

:p

(for those not in the know, the respective races would be Larry Niven's Puppeteers, Kzinti, and Humans)

Back