A New Enemy for Confed??

Are you being serious? I think there's enough flying biological stuff in the sci-fi world already, isn't there?

Still, it's getting harder to think of something orignal these days, and still have it appeal to the market. No point in having flying waffles, is there? ;)

well i dont think it would be that challenging, possibly bring in a few more races that are human-like for example the Klingons on star trek or also have sub-races that would be confed's allies and have the game the option of picking which side to be on have it more on a universe scale and possibly have it internet ready kinda like ultima
all the same systems of space in WC, and with it being internet ready the war would never end, that would be the goods

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

Originally posted by Loozer
...for example the Klingons...
No! No Klingons! No Star Trek stuff! No Star Wars stuff! WC is WC!

...kinda like Ultima...
No Ultima!

Sorry, but there's little sense in blatantly copying what's already out there. And I think there are already too many humanoid races. Aliens seem to be either humanoid or completely the opposite. No balance.

Originally posted by Wedge009
No! No Klingons! No Star Trek stuff! No Star Wars stuff! WC is WC!

No Ultima!

Sorry, but there's little sense in blatantly copying what's already out there. And I think there are already too many humanoid races. Aliens seem to be either humanoid or completely the opposite. No balance.

slow down there wedgie i was just using the kilngons as an example besides
it wouldnt be copied it would be creative humanoid races, no balance???? what are you talking about???

I only regret that I have one life to give confed,,Hells Kitchen, Vega, Sector

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I'd like to see biological ships -- not 'organic' like the Nephilim... but actual living ships. Like big space fish you fight...

Seeing that space is... well, space! Alot of vast, and empty space... Even space fish need to eat.

Maybe that is their motivation. Maybe they cant enter atmospheres... so they eat fighters and comets and space rocks... but they prefer the power plants of confed ships. Besides the small ones are crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle...

Originally posted by BlueClaw
Perhaps a conquering race of machines would make a worthy opponent for Confed's attention. They would be more lethal than any enemy Confed has ever faced before, due to their lack of emotions such as fear, remorse or mercy, and their resistance to the usual disadvantages biological pilots would have, like fatigue and stress. Also, the loss of a mechanized pilot would be a minor one, as more could be quickly rebuilt on an automated assembly line.

There is a race like that, but they belong to another "dimension" and are called BORGS.
Let´s get rid of those Nephilim first, so we can (Hey moderators, not raising the subject ;) ) find out what did they do to Blair and start looking for someone else to shoot at.

it would be creative humanoid races, no balance???? what are you talking about???
In the days before computers were involved in movie making, etc, I think the vast majority of aliens protrayed in sci-fi were humanoid - mainly because it's hard for an actor to wear an alien suit which wasn't humanoid (think Jabba the Hutt!), and also because it's something we can relate to, and understand. It's a bit hard trying to work out the anatomy of something we've never seen before, hence even today aliens resemble insects, reptiles, (felines!), but are still mostly bipedal in anatomical structure.

This just my opinion, and I'm not claiming it to be right.

Originally posted by Starkey
Let's get rid of those Nephilim first...
I second that! :)

well, the list can go on and on i was thinking having the humanoid races as the majority and may throw in a sprinkle of machines, mutants,alienoid beings etc. having the new WC based online could make the game more popular than it already is, not too many copies of WCP were probably sold, added having it online would make the game larger than life
I mean hasnt anyone in the chat zone wanted to go head to head with an administrator or anyone at that matter
this is just my opinion and i solely support it

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

...I was thinking having the humanoid races as the majority and may throw in a sprinkle of machines, mutants, alienoid beings etc.
You'd be surprised at how many races there are in the WCU already. I don't think we need any more.

...having the new WC based online could make the game more popular than it already is...
Erm, how so?

...not too many copies of WCP were probably sold...
Over 750000 copies, I think. LOAF will give you the 'official' figure. Pity it didn't sell the million EA wanted so that they would have a reason to stick with WC longer.

Originally posted by Starkey

There is a race like that, but they belong to another "dimension" and are called BORGS.
Let´s get rid of those Nephilim first, so we can (Hey moderators, not raising the subject ;) ) find out what did they do to Blair and start looking for someone else to shoot at.

The Borg aren't machines. They're a joining of humanoids with mechanical body parts, which would make them cyborgs (hence Borg.) Overall though, I agree with you. Let's finish the Nephilim before we start picking fights with anyone else. :D

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Wedge009
You'd be surprised at how many races there are in the WCU already. I don't think we need any more.

From the comments the Nephilim have made regarding humanity, there might be a whole lot more just beyond the Nephilim. A game with Confed caught in the middle of a war between two different groups of alien races might be fun to see, so long as not all of the species were forgettable (i.e. no "species of the mission" stuff).

wedge could you elaborate on these numerous races that you claim
being online would attract more players, duh!!
considering the copies 750,000 is nothing comapared to the more popular online games, WC1 sold more than that, of course WCP hasnt been out that long

Off the top of my head; Humans, Kilrathi, Firekkans, Mantu, Steltek, Wu, Nephilim. I'm sure there's more I forgot.
considering the copies 750,000 is nothing comapared to the more popular online games
Err no.

Everquest, the most popular MMO game, has something like 600000 subscribers. No strictly online game has been able to bust the magic million mark. The reason that's unimportant, is because of the monthly fees which regularly bring in profits for the publisher.

Microsoft hasn't broken 100000 players for Asheron's Call yet, but it still makes them lots of money. An online WC would most likely be profitable, but it would in no way broaden the fan base.

I mean hasnt anyone in the chat zone wanted to go head to head with an administrator or anyone at that matter

Umm... what?

In alphabetical order:

The Dioscuri
The Dolosians
The Double Helix
The Eyoka
The Firekkan
The Gorth
The Hagarin
The Hari
The Jarma
The Ka
The Mantu
The Mopoks
The Nephilim
The Oasians
The Shata
The Sorn
The Steltek
The Tan
The Utara
The Varni
The Wu

Originally posted by Frosty
An online WC would most likely be profitable, but not as profitable as an RPG-type game, and it would in no way broaden the fan base.
Haven't the online flight-sims, for the most part, fizzled? I seem to recall Microsoft having one exclusively for MSN based in the WWII era. I can't remember the names of the others. But none of them seemed to bring the big payoff that people thought they would.

Jumpgate is currently the only, really, comparable game on the market... Of course, Earth and Beyond and another one that starts with and E (EVE, I believe) are in development...

TC

There might be one or two more. I remember seeing something on one of the sites I frequent that provided information about a game that either had just been released, or else was in beta. Unfortunately, I don't remember any of the details, including the name. If I saw the website, I'd recognize it instantly, but other than that, I'm clueless.
A casual search for that title also turned up one called Darkstar, although I think the latter might be more focused on capships than on fighters.

Originally posted by junior
...Confed caught in the middle of a war between two different groups of alien races might be fun to see...
Not for the poor citizens of the Confederation, it wouldn't. I think they've suffered enough already. Yes, I know, it's 'only' a game.

Originally posted by TC

Umm... what?

meaning fighting against a friend

In alphabetical order:

The Dioscuri
The Dolosians
The Double Helix
The Eyoka
The Firekkan
The Gorth
The Hagarin
The Hari
The Jarma
The Ka
The Mantu
The Mopoks
The Nephilim
The Oasians
The Shata
The Sorn
The Steltek
The Tan
The Utara
The Varni
The Wu

thank you tc, did you get your information in the novels, if not where?

thank you tc, did you get your information in the novels, if not where?

The names mostly come from novels... A few like the Steltek and Mopok come from games... And a few are from the TV show.

TC

Back