A discussion on the true nature of the Nephilim

well, if that was the case (which I'm CERTAIN it ISN'T) wouldn't they try to make buddy buddy with us? I mean, they would want help with fighting their enemy then right?

As for the bugs' intentions. Let's just say they're unscrupulous by our standards and leave it at that until new evidence surfaces.

and they DID encounter the Kilrathi first... besides the Devearex.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 05-28-2001 at 03:44]

Originally posted by Mav23
well, if that was the case (which I'm CERTAIN it ISN'T) wouldn't they try to make buddy buddy with us? I mean, they would want help with fighting their enemy then right?

Perhaps the race they are fighting resemble the Kilrathior humans. Well al mammals look alike to them.

But the whole point behind them is that they are supposedly a vastly superior race that has come to destroy the Kilrathi because they are weak and who ever defeated the Kilrathi because they are there.

Originally posted by AD
Perhaps the Actual origins of the name nephilim has a bearing on their origins in the game... or maybe not.

The word nephilim in it's origin means fellers, or in other words, those who cause others to fall. They were basicaly a group of superhuman thugs that bullied the pre-flood biblical world. They were the hybrid offspring of Angels and human women. A group of angels or "gods" rebel angainst the only true "God" (with a capital G) and They start staring at the human women (can you blame them? a world full of near perfect women?). Anyway they materialize into human form and take wives, hence have sex with, of the human women. The result is the Half-breeds they call Nephilim. The nephilim wreak havock, murder, rape etc. When God sends the flood to destroy mankind (with the exception of noah and his family, the nephilim are destroyed as well. The materialized angels return to their spirit form only to be banished by "GOD" to tartarus, a state of nonexistence.

Maybe the prophecy Nephilim are some form of Half breed hybrid of a "stargod" and a leser race that went on a vengeful conquest! Maybe we'll still see that other much talked about other race that defeated the, I forget but I think it's in privateer. Maybe the nephilims parents show up to give them a deserved spanking?

-AD.

[Edited by AD on 05-26-2001 at 22:56]

I rest my case.

Originally posted by Supdon3
(...)The Bismark and the Yamato were both alone in their classes. Larger ships could be a standard class that has several ships. We only saw one class of carrier, one class of destroyer/cruisers. Confed has at least six classes of carriers alone. If you agree that it was a recon fleet, then it is likely that they have heavier versions of classifications of ships.

If I may nitpick a bit, the Bismarck was not alone in her class, the Tirpitz was also the same class and even larger.

I like your idea though that the bugs have more classes of destroyers/cruisers etc...(hopefully better ones).
But is the attack force we see in SOPS now the main invasion force or a second recon force? And are there more wormholes now in M'shrak sector and the other sectors mentioned in SOPS?

Ah, how can one say that the Star Wars novels aren't 'canon' when they have been licensed by Lucas or his company or whatever. The majority do fit well together, especially with Zahn's and Stackpole's work shining the brightest, IMHO. But that's another debate...

I'm just wondering why some still think that the force we see in SO is 'leftover' from the Kilrah wormhole. It is clear that they arrive via the stellar accretion device in Proxima - the bugs would undoubtedly have to leave a trail of destruction to get to Sol sector without being detected. Too, the SO fiction indicates that several more wormholes were being opened in other sectors.

In regards to whether the forces we see are a recon force or the spearhead of an invasion... does it really matter? We can't let them enter our space in either case. (And I still say we should go on the offensive for the next game, Confed spends too much time on the defensive.) I see nothing wrong with having a 'dreadnought' in a recon force - Confed might not do such a thing, since they don't have such resources, but it is clear that the Nephilim have plenty of ships to spare, hence using dreadnoughts and ship killers could be present in their recon forces. Either way, it seems that the bugs intend to invade, despite the discussions at the end of the SO fiction in regards to the Alien Intent.

the problem with the bugs is that the only way Confed can defeat them is if they keep all of their eggs in one basket like the Kilrathi did. We could of whittled down the Kilrathi forces and defeated them that way (if we had better strategists :)) but with the bugs, we HAVE to kill the "queen" or whatever is controlling them to win, we simply can't "whittle down" their forces like we COULD'VE the Kilrathi, the bugs outnumber us by FAR too much.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Ah, how can one say that the Star Wars novels aren't 'canon' when they have been licensed by Lucas or his company or whatever. The majority do fit well together, especially with Zahn's and Stackpole's work shining the brightest, IMHO. But that's another debate...

Just to add my insight on this little point, the Star Wars books ARE considered canon.

Star Trek on the other hand, do not count the novels as canon (nor the Animated Series), but computer/console games (nowadays) are canon.

Just thought i'd add my knowledge to that.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Originally posted by Wedge009

Just to add my insight on this little point, the Star Wars books ARE considered canon.

Star Trek on the other hand, do not count the novels as canon (nor the Animated Series), but computer/console games (nowadays) are canon.

Just thought i'd add my knowledge to that.

Just to correct you...Star Wars novels are not cannon, they are official only (with the exception of the original trilogy novels, TMP novel(?) and the radio plays, which are cannon).

Star Trek novels are fan fiction yes, you heard me, fan fiction.
According to paramount they hold no status in Star Trek (cannon, official or otherwise) with the exception of (IIRC) 1 of the original novels and 2 episodes of the animated series.
The rest of the animated series and the computer games hold the same status as the novels (ie, nothing, they don't exist).
If it didn't happen in an episode or film of Star Trek, it didn't happen at all.

[Edited by Primarch on 05-29-2001 at 02:05]

We don't know that there is a queen. A vague reference to a 'mother creature' could mean all sorts of things. Maybe there are lots of mother creatures. Maybe each individual bug has a vengeful mother. Or maybe its referring to an abstract concept like the bug is invoking its protective deity or something.

As for the bug force. Its got to be an invasion fleet. A recon force wouldn't engage the enemy. Even if they knew they'd win. Their job is to find out what's there and report back in one piece. In WCP the bugs were falling over themselves to get at us and the cats and if that doesn't make it an invasion force then what does?

Back