A discussion on the true nature of the Nephilim

Originally posted by Nep Parth
They do. It's in the Prophecy manual.

They don't use it, but they do have it. Cycle through some components, it should be there.

Everytime I cycle through, the only thing other than Bridge/Engines is the hanger... maybe I just missed it though...

Originally posted by Nep Parth
And that is why the Tiamats are the biggest ships in the galaxy, next to Behemoth.
Did you forget the Kilrathi dreadnought?

The Tiamat has a plasma weapon, but it isn't simulated in the game, just as the Midway has ion cannons. Which makes me wonder why a Kraken and a Tiamat invade Sol system in tandem.

And I can accept that the Star Wars novels aren't canon (heck, I completely ignore the comic books), but the authors have worked well to keep things consistent. Dare I say it, more consistent than some of the things in the WCU. <Ducks for cover>

I also fail to see how The Phantom Menace invalidates anything in the novels.

Originally posted by Marcml30
Nep, if you would indulge me, I would like to resolve the off-topic discussion.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Those Star Trek books ARE licenesed yet they arent canon. Same with Star Wars books.
Is that your opinion or something you read somewhere? This is an old debate WRT the WC Universe and what seems to be the general consensus is that books, movies, & games are all canon in the WCU. I've always taken this to mean that giving the author permission to use the license implies that whatever the author writes becomes canon. Of course, I assume that permission is given only when the licensee agrees to certain stipulations (the main character doesn't die, etc).

It was Gene Roddenberry's rule (and all this stuff was around before he died) that unless it was in an episode or a movie it wasnt canon. Even the animated series was not canon. Lucas can change whatever he wants from the books for his movies. That automatically invalidates them. If he were to go and make actual SEQUELS to Star Wars, they would be nothing like the books.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Lucas can change whatever he wants from the books for his movies. That automatically invalidates them.
Interesting. I always assumed that there was more control involved in handing out licenses. I even imagined that the owner (Roddenberry/Lucas) had some control over content. I mean, there must have been some basic rules set down - Kirk/Spock weren't gay lovers, Sulu didn't have Irish ancestry, you get my drift. With some universes, it seemed as though the owners were VERY liberal with timelines, plots, character histories, etc. I think that, with Scifi, it is often too tempting for a writer to rely on the viewer/reader to make a connection between the material at hand and the existing universe.

Im sure there are set rules but since they dont affect the "canon" in anyway they can do more than you would think. Chewie is dead after all. If Lucas were to do a sequel, he could kill Chewbacca in the first movie. Anyway he wanted to.

Just the fact that he can is really whats important. He is ultimately the one who tells the story. If any work he does in no way conflicts with the books, then thats great and the books can be enjoyed as fact. But unless he goes on record as saying "sure thats what will happen" then it isnt really what happened.

Then we'll just have to wait until he finishes the two or three trilogies then, won't we? Unless something else happens first.

Did the Nephilim actually establish bases in our space? I mean did they actually start laying minefields, building new bases, tapping the resources of worlds they captured or were they just relying on their capital ships? Seems to me to be the later.

As for the arguments over what's canon. Look if it fits then fine. If it doesn't just take the most likely alternative. Above all ENJOY yourself. After all it is entertainment... :)

No, because it's too 'pop-culture' for him. <G>

What's a Centrax? Nephilim name for a base? And the comm stations were their relay stations, were they not?

Back