XBox space combat sims?

MaxPower

Spaceman
Are their any good ones? I recently purchased Battlestar Galactica and was disappointed in it, I know their's no WC for XBox (but 1 can only dream of the day). :cool:

Battlestar Galactica is it. There's barely any flight sims at all. Crimson Skies is the primary flying game.

ace flies a pretty mean Banshee fighter in Halo though.

There's at least one other -- Star Trek: Shattered Universe.

I enjoyed its learning curve... though the graphics were nineties-ish and the CGI cut-scenes were pretty awful.

I thought the idea of another plunge into the alternate universe was a neat idea with Shattered Universe... esepecially in the time period it is set in

I never have played the game though so I really do not know how well it turned out

I enjoyed the Star Trek: Shattered Universe game. My only problem was on missions that took place near a planet i found myself crashing into the planet while purusing the enemy.

One of the reasons I enjoyed the game though is I find the alternate Universe where Starfleet is "evil" very interesting and I want to know more about it and see how it compares to the Starfleet we know so well.

I think Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter had a few space-combat bits in it... though most of the game was a shooter of sorts.

That's right, it was half space combat and half shooter. Forgot about another popular flight sim, Airforce Delta Storm was a big one at launch. And Robotech Battlecry is kind of a combat shooter flying game.

it's not starfleet...its the terran empire.

i played shattered universe at my friends, and i was impressed. pretty fun, having to kill those driod brain controlled ships was kind of tough...but fun.

Brad Mick

BradMick said:
it's not starfleet...its the terran empire.

The Terran Empire is the mirror universe equivalent of the Federation -- so like the Federation, it has a Starfleet.

The term "Starfleet" is used multiple times in the Original Series episode Mirror Mirror. First by Kirk, then by the mirror universe's Lt. Marlena Moreau and Cmdr. Spock.

Ooh wee.. I just watched The Changeling from my Blue Pod. I can't wait, Mirror, Mirror is next.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. Although oftenly mistakenly stated as a prequel to the old series, the concepts of Cylons created my man conforms more to the newer series. The technology weapons (laser blasts, missiles, etc) and action dialogues are much more like the old 1978 series feel, but the story is definitely put in the newer mini series. Oh yeah, the game was developed by WARTHOG, that has a history with Conquest:Frontier Wars and Starlancer (read: two Christopher Roberts brainchild).

How was the Battlestar game? I was interested in it when it was first in development but never followed anything more on it. Good graphics? Gameplay? Character interaction? What's the prognosis?

Sorry to butt in - but in 2003, THQ released a game called Yager for Europe (only in Germany?), which was *kinda like* a space sim.
Actually it was atmospheric, planet-based flying (but without much of an aerodynamics model), and featured the usual range of fighter craft. The plot was somewhere between Hardwar and Privateer; mission-based with moneymaking inbetween, and plot advancement through CGI cutscenes.
It looked quite good, and they seem to have re-released it just a couple of weeks ago to hit the Xmas shoppers - so it might be worth a try (if it was published in any other language - I can only find German versions from here).

Butting out.

If I'm not mistaken, Yaeger is available in English for the PC. I haven't tried it, but there's a demo on avault.com

never managed to keep my two wingleaders alive in the second part of the first mission(after you take down the defenses, they fly off for a close inspection and
get hammered by the cylons in under 2 seconds, gave up after 50 tries, still need to find a way around it, any hints?

i think the game has excellent graphics and the viper handles excellent.

however it was never clear to me why "the viper", a small fighter with laser
cannons als sole offensive weapon, now carried missiles. did they just ran out of missiles after the last great battle of the cylon war when they were forced to leave their planet?

I don't think I've ever seen the Battlestar Galactica game in stores. When was it released?

Ooh wee.. I just watched The Changeling from my Blue Pod. I can't wait, Mirror, Mirror is next.

I'm watching season two episodes of the original series from the blue container too. It is the first time I've seen some of the episodes, including the Changling. I thought that epsiode was pretty good, I'd read the basic plot from the Star Trek Timeline and Encylcopedia. The epsode met my expectations and was enjoyable. I especially like how Kirk used logic against the probe.

i had read some review for shattered universe a long time ago, and it said it was a terrible game.

i believe the review was for the ps2 version.

i see a used copy in my gamestop, would it be worth picking up?

Back