XBox 360 disc drive failure

Well, Loaf, yes and no.

Lots of companies overhere fire their people and then rehire them at lower pay, in Holland our minister of finance gave 20 billion of credit to iceland and belgium to keep investors safe(partially because a lot of our "states"(there is no word for it in english), had invested the taxpayers money in iceland due to interests, i worked for a government agency for a year and i was shocked how people who do not even know how to do their own jobs throw around money, that is not good, I'm not sure if you american people work on a hour-basis with achievement goals, but we had our time that if you do not make these goals and we call it "bless it with the cover of forgiveness" to give that person a second, third, and fourthiest chance. Over here those times are over... No doubt you have heard about the peroxide-haired idiot that was banned from the UK but welcomed to Amerika, I do not support him, however his party has some good standards wich i would call common sense.

what we see in the news is that you can buy a house in the states for a monthly paycheck rightnow, and lots of people are forced to live in tents, that and that a 20.000 USD debt on multiple credit cards is normal for a US resident.

what we see in the news is that you can buy a house in the states for a monthly paycheck rightnow, and lots of people are forced to live in tents, that and that a 20.000 USD debt on multiple credit cards is normal for a US resident.

That's pretty crazy, we aren't seeing anything like that here.

(If anything it's the opposite; no one can afford to buy a house now because there's no credit to start the process.)

That's pretty crazy, we aren't seeing anything like that here.

Oprah said it, so it's true!

Problems in my country are rising also, i only reported what i know of you.

I'm not a fan of copying games to the HDD. Most games are designed to be run without the HDD so some (most notably Halo3) actually run slower from the HDD.

I mostly want it for the silence to be honest. I complained for years that my Xbox sounded like an F/A-18 warming up its engine for a carrier launch. There were times I was nervous the Xbox itself was literally going to take off and it sucks having to crank the TV volume to hear over the drive.

Dude, I've heard firsthand a Hornet firing up for a cat shot. That would suck a little too hard if it were THAT loud, not to mention killing glass out of your windows.

I know, I know, it's an expression. Fun to pick at, though. :D

If anyone has been sitting on a broken XBox from 2009, they should just get a new slim for a couple hundred dollars with a Kinect.

Are you saying you can fix the Xbox 360 or you can fix the economy? Either one would be helpful at this point.

If I could fix the latter, I'd be a millionaire and Chris Roberts would 100% have the money to do a new WC :)

It was the former I was referring to.
I recently salvaged 2 xboxes that were broken and made one working one :)

If anyone has been sitting on a broken XBox from 2009, they should just get a new slim for a couple hundred dollars with a Kinect.

MY Xbox just got the RRoD and its about 4 years old so cant send it back worse thing is I only got a Kinect a few months ago!

Yeah I bought a new xbox (since I'm the author in question of this thread)....2 years ago. Thanks though.

I don't know if this is a hoax, but Screwattack.com lists a "repair" trick for the infamous red ring of death:

1) Wrap 2 towels around XBox
2) Turn on for 12 minutes
3) Turn off, unwrap, and wait for 15 minutes
4) Turn back on

I have no reason why this would work (unless the heat is reflowing a cold solder joint on the circuit board or in an integrated circuit), but if it was broke when you started and you put no money into it, you have lost nothing if it doesn't work.

I don't know if this is a hoax, but Screwattack.com lists a "repair" trick for the infamous red ring of death:

4) Turn back on

I have no reason why this would work (unless the heat is reflowing a cold solder joint on the circuit board or in an integrated circuit), but if it was broke when you started and you put no money into it, you have lost nothing if it doesn't work.

I've heard this before. It has to be placebo. The melting point of solder is so high than if you actually got the internals of the 360 that hot, it would be rather destructive.

I've heard this before. It has to be placebo. The melting point of solder is so high than if you actually got the internals of the 360 that hot, it would be rather destructive.

Its will work but only for a short time the problem with the RRoD is the x clamps that hold cpu and GPU in place over time they just give up it can be fixed using M5 washers IIRC I did try it but as I was doing it my girlfriend managed to spill coffee in it :(

4) Turn back on

The best way out of the RROD, is to open the thing up, remove the two heatsinks, get some decent thermal paste and reapply attach them.

This alone wont work I did try it I have just got a 360 back from the RROD. It took 8 new screws, 16 Nylon M5 washers and 8, steel m5 washers and no need for the xclamps that hold the heatsinks in place (just throw them out) the fix didnt take long must admit didnt think it would work but I can now play Mass Effect again oh and Arena!

@Youngblood, how much would a console repair shop charge you for that, and is it worth the effort/risk to do it yourself?

@Youngblood, how much would a console repair shop charge you for that, and is it worth the effort/risk to do it yourself?

I was told by a shop that it would cost £50 so I thought what the hell Ill give it a go nothing too lose, I have to admit it was very easy if you want instructions I can send some with photos

I was told by a shop that it would cost £50 so I thought what the hell Ill give it a go nothing too lose, I have to admit it was very easy if you want instructions I can send some with photos

I can find those myself, but when I have the issue of fixing things myself and causing inrepaireble damage, because I dont have the right tools, and I can have them repaired with guarantees, i choose to let a company fix it.

It's good that there is a list of '360 players here, still need an online game to count on a wingman or a descent adversary...

I would of done the same if I had the cash but to be honest its just as easy as putting a new cpu into a pc, the shop I did ask about it I tell me they couldn't guarantee that they can fix them all the time but as I've ha this xbox since 2006 I did it myself and it works fine now. As for tools all you need are some torq drivers I thinks its t8 and t10.

Back