XBox 360 disc drive failure

I would of done the same if I had the cash but to be honest its just as easy as putting a new cpu into a pc, the shop I did ask about it I tell me they couldn't guarantee that they can fix them all the time but as I've ha this xbox since 2006 I did it myself and it works fine now. As for tools all you need are some torq drivers I thinks its t8 and t10.

I'm not familiar with hardware stores on that side of the pond, but over on this side, Harbor Freight has some rather nice Torx sets for pretty affordable prices.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-3-folding-star-bit-and-sae-metric-hex-keys-94905.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-mni-star-tamper-proof-key-set-97469.html

I own these two, specifically. They can be disassembled to use the keys individually or just folded out of the set. I haven't needed a Torx key that wasn't on one of these sets.

Well, if I had multiple xboxes to fix on a daily business, I would invest(I do have the stuff already)

But if I f*ck up a single clamp, I do not have replacements at hand, if a small specialized store does it for me for very little money and actually offers me 6 months warranty on their repair job(and we are talking under 10$ here), I prefer to go with that.

It would be pretty hard to mess it up as all you would be doing is replacing the clamps for screws and washers and putting some new paste on the cpu and gpu as long as you get the right size screw they just screw in no drilling is needed [which most repair places do as they don't have the right size]

In the US for the holiday sales this weekend, 4GB slim XBox 360s have been getting down to $140 or $200 with Kinect. If you don't already have a slim XBox or Kinect, I'd strongly recommend them!

But if I f*ck up a single clamp, I do not have replacements at hand

A savior for me has been Arctic Silver Epoxy. After I sheared the clamp stud on a socket 370 Pentium3-866 (merely a little plastic nub on a plastic socket) I was able to epoxy the heat sink to the CPU and used the computer for 3 more years.

Back