wishlist for 2.0 or latter

hmm...what i was saying is that all the gear should be available everywhere as in the original. it makes no sense and slows the game down to have it otherwise.

BradMick said:
what i was saying is that all the gear should be available everywhere as in the original. it makes no sense and slows the game down to have it otherwise.
I'm inclined to agree. Hellcat and Mamiya, what is the reasoning behind limiting upgrade availability?

Modest availability limits make sense, but the randomizing stuff makes it hard.

I've no problem with some limits, I think they improve the game.

I don't care as much as you guys about my flightabilities, they are ok, more or less.
But I also think that the enemy AI sucks. Those guys make stuff you cant compete with.
The funny thing is that the problem are not the heavy fighters like centurion or demon, what really suck are talon. They stay easy if you can mange to keep them on distance, but when there are many of them they al fight so close to you... it is more rumbling like dogfighting. Yet, you can run them with the cloak and then reattack when you got some distance between you and them, it still sucks because getting used to the cloak is the worsed thing ever... makes the game to easy.

What I wanted to know is: is there any improvement of the enemy AI in 1.1? Some more tactics and less rumbling would be nice.

All in all the remake is really great.

Dire Wolf said:
Modest availability limits make sense, but the randomizing stuff makes it hard.

I've no problem with some limits, I think they improve the game.

Especially the one fusion gun at a time business ... (with a Centurion, especially, the gun spread is bad enough ...) though the last time I got them the game suddenly made like 30 available.

Things I like:

having a fleet. Hey, it is harmless. Means that your radar doesn't transfer between ships, that sort of thing, but well worth it.

The change in asteroids.

Having the other ships available. For the most part, they aren't as good as the Demon or Centurion, so having them available is harmless. I'm all for adding the Jalthi to the mix (that is a fighter that should have shown up on the used market) -- even more of a wallowing pig than the Centurion ;)

The remake is a great job! Had to just say that.

hmm...what i was saying is that all the gear should be available everywhere as in the original. it makes no sense and slows the game down to have it otherwise.
Perhaps... It does influence the campaign, not being able to get some things at some places. However, since you can take your time to do things, I don't think it's so bad, and it adds to the gameplay: "Hm... I need a repair bot AI... let's go to oxford to do some shopping".

We are considering making all upgrades available everywhere... though it's a bit enticing to force people to play without afterburner until they find one ;-) I remember when I was playing the other day and my Iris Mk2 got shot out from under me--leaving me without a radar to complete 2 bounty missions and a bunch of patrols without afterburner--- took me an hour to get it all back

as for making the AI harder---man we just narfed it for 1.0 (on default difficulty) now people want it BACK to being hard?!?!

question: have you played on *hard* difficulty--we used harder AI there :)

hellcatv, if you're referring to Master Wooky saying that the AI sucks, I think he meant it like It sucks: it's too hard. Anyway, I think 1.1 will please most people in that aspect.

I think you did a good job with the AI just look at Oxford mission 3..I do like the I would like to see a few slider bars on the set up menu allowing us to pick average commodity price may be on for the high end one for the low end....
cargo/salvage dump value increasing the average value of salvage and upgrade availability.

I don't think the AI is to hard, if you mean by hard the relation between the number of tries one has to take to succeed in some missions and the fun... that is ok. But as some guy said anywhere: The AI ships act like bumblebees and not like what one would expect a spaceship would do. Perhaps it's just me, but I can't, most of the time, see any tactics. The only enemy tactic seems to be: Be every, doesn't matter how to get there, and move like no human gamer ever could. I think if the AI would, dunno, break me out, gave me a protontorpedo in the stern and in the next round gave me the rest with a slide and the guns, that would be ok. But if you don't know how the AI got you...this sucks.

Well, 1.1 is much better. Although it's actually easier, it looks much more natural. I still think it needs a lot of improvement, though. But, eventually, with a lot of hard work, it'll come together. Meanwhile, 1.1 is quite playable, for what I've seen up untill now.

Sounds good...

There is just one question left......... when will we get it?..... I don't stand the waiting anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

Upgrades worth having..maybe

I always wanted to make this an issue but never knew any group of people willing to remake such a classic that I have a DOS computer just for. I dont know the exact name but the "Bolts" of energy, Lasers, Mass Drivers, Neutron, Partical, Tachyon...all those in WC 1 and 2 were spheres that impacted the target...for some reason in those two games that worked just fine. The a Stream-like blaster came into WC3 and 4. I must say I just love the streamed "bolt" effect. In WC5 they had a sort of combination that just didnt work for me. I always wished a way to make a laser "upgrade" or a Tachyon upgrade. Why not be able to find a version 1.0 Laser that shoots orange balls of laser or a version 3 or 4 that shoots more powerful (more energy draining) stream-like bolts? Funny thing is I was always ok with a Mass Driver being a sphere-like bolt over the stream.

One other idea I was thinking of...Lets get some of the Privateer 2 ships into the mix...if not due to the time gap of Priv 1 and 2 Im ok with that..but the point to it was to have more guns. How I always wished just for a 6 gun ship but always stuck with 4. Is there a way to make a tweak that allows a purchase of a "Weapon/Gun Converter Purchase." Say to remove a missle slot and make it a gun slot, costing about 50,000 per slot. Sound nice? Some people may not like the idea of a gun boat but you would be losing missles to have more guns. Any thoughts on that? I think that's why my fav ship was the Excalibur. Six guns strong and with tracking no less.

klauss said:
Soon... when time is right, you'll know it...

yup... i hear you but i also abandoned my life to wait for the game... my girlfriend soon will abandon me if the 1.1 takes much longer... it's all in your hand!!!

Something that I noticed, my two cents worth about making a Privateer Remake more relaistic. I've played a flight sim with "very real" space physics, wow...it took me 10 seconds to just stop gong full speed and to say nothing about making sharp turns...it felt like it took me a planetary rotation to make a right turn. Also, many here played Masters of Orion. 1 and 2 were better and better then 3 came out. That was the best example of a "fan based" driven game. All the features people wanted in the original two down to the most annoying micromanagment...the result, a total lack of fun and enjoyable game play. I haven't a clue what goes into making a game but I know what goes into making a game fun and making it more "real" well....actually takes the fun out of it.

making things round balls is easy in 1.1--just change bolt to ball and include an animation in the mass_driver.ani folder

Master Wooky, have you applied to the 1.1 beta yet? you could get a prerelease version if you are willing to report bugs...
on the other hand--we haven't gotten the patch version yet--it's still the full download version--we're hoping to get a patchable installer pack at some point soon

Well...

I think the same way someone would purchase a standard lead tiped bullet over a hollow tipped one, I think to add spice to the "search for weapons" to have this varity of weapons within a weapons catagory. So you could buy level 1 and 2 "ball" lasers from one type of station and stream types at others. I dont think this wouldnt make a search and buy playability too over done.

hellcatv said:
making things round balls is easy in 1.1--just change bolt to ball and include an animation in the mass_driver.ani folder

Master Wooky, have you applied to the 1.1 beta yet? you could get a prerelease version if you are willing to report bugs...
on the other hand--we haven't gotten the patch version yet--it's still the full download version--we're hoping to get a patchable installer pack at some point soon

Oh... i see... i volunteered for phase to.... i just thought, because you guys said you want report until june 6, that both phases are already started...
sorry for the complaining... ;)

Greetings,
A fan of WC SAGA & PRIVATEER as well. Just downloaded the REMAKE a week ago & enjoying it nicely. Got a few questions from a newbie like me...

1) Will additional ships be added into the remake later?

2) Was wondering if the Wing Commander III Excallibur Heavy Fighter can be added into the REMAKE, it was a darn good ship...

3) I seen people modify their cockpit & i wanted to do the same with my Galaxy Class cockpit but lack the technical skills. Anywhere i can find files like that?

Thanks for your help & cooperation...

Back