WingCommander-Simulator ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by milo
3. You probably don't know enough about my personal life to be able to understand my economic value system.

But we understand you well enough to know you're bad at making a point in an arguement.

Originally posted by Frosty
That comment is funny since it's dumb. I contend that you'd say the same thing about any WC you didn't direct yourself.
Do you get any perks for being the mayor of Stupidville? Oh yeah, I only like movies that I direct.:rolleyes:

How could anyone-- anyone-- expect more from FMV in a video game than what was achieved in the WC games? Directorial mistakes? Script problems? Bad Acting? Who cares?! It's a video game. It has an interesting story. Semi-interesting characters. The ocassional hot chick. Don't complain. Sheesh.

Originally posted by Marcml30
Do you get any perks for being the mayor of Stupidville? Oh yeah, I only like movies that I direct.:rolleyes:
Excellent reply, I shall clarify:

I contend that because you have such a warped and narrow-minded concept of how a WC movie should be, you would loathe and despise any Wing Commander movie, no matter how good, that you did not create yourself.

No movie but the one you direct yourself could ever live up to your unreasonable expectations, and once you accept that for yourself, you'll be able to actually appreciate the movie for what it is and have fun with it.

I contend that because you have such a warped and narrow-minded concept of how a WC movie should be, you would loathe and despise any Wing Commander movie, no matter how good, that you did not create yourself.
Fair enough. I will say this, my issues with the movie were not[\b] (a) the color of the afterburner flame or (b) the Epee (or whatever) in the movie didn't look like the Epee in the game or (c) anything about the movie that conflicted with the established game universe. If my gripes about the movie were based solely on the nitnoids regarding continuity then I wouldn't have enjoyed the Batman (some of them), X-men, or Spiderman movies. Trust me, my disappointment with the movie had nothing to do with my being a fan.

You on the other hand refuse to believe that someone could not like the movie for its script, acting, whatever. You come across as someone that would love and worship any Wing Commander movie, no matter how bad.

Originally posted by Marcml30
You come across as someone that would love and worship any Wing Commander movie, no matter how bad.
Show me a bad one and I'll get back to you.

One needs to not expect too much from the WC movie is all. Was it great film? Was it well written? Did it have an emotional impact? No, certainly none of these are true of the WC Movie. But as far as Sci-Fi flicks that involve blowing things up? It rocks. It has cool shiny things, funny looking animatronic cats, and lots and lots of explosions. Great film? No. Good movie? Hell yes! I mean, come on, what did you expect to see-- Allegory? A semi-objective commentary on the post-reaganite economic statis of the current middle class american? Come on! It's Wing Commander!

PS. Don't make posts just for the sake of upping your post count. How much wood could a wood chuck chuck? Hmm. It's not fair to those of us who only post when we have something constructive to say. I could probably be a captain by now if I posted little things like that.

If you have fun, great time, and bliss watching a movie, then it is a good one no matter what other have to say

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
One needs to not expect too much from the WC movie is all. Was it great film? Was it well written? Did it have an emotional impact? No, certainly none of these are true of the WC Movie.
Not much I can add to that.

It has cool shiny things, funny looking animatronic cats, and lots and lots of explosions.
Yes, this is all I look for in Scifi - cool shiny things. Why bother with any of the nonessentials you mentioned above, you know: plot, emotional impact, etc when you can have explosions and cool shiny things.

The Wing Commander Movie was okay. I was expecting more since I loved wing commander so much, it wasn't what i expected to be, but hey, C'est la vie.

Nafé

Originally posted by LeHah
But we understand you well enough to know you're bad at making a point in an arguement.

The very fact that you suggest that I am trying to make a point, or participating in an argument shows that you do not understand me at all.

When I joined this thread, the topic was related to the realism of the Wing Commander games, and by association space sims in general. This is a topic that interests me, so at that time I made a point which has not since been challenged: The only realistic space sims are things like Orbiter and MSSS which simulate real world space flight. No combat space sim can be called realistic, although they often contain aspects that can be evaluated against our understanding of real physics and real politics and real modern-day military procedure. The Wing Commander games are somewhere in the middle of this notional "realism scale", with games like IWar and Terminus nearer the top, and simple shooters like Rogue Squadron nearer the bottom.

The other half of my point (which also has not been challenged) is that the Wing Commander games met their design goals with respect to balancing fun and realism. The WC games were not intended to be hyper realistic or hyper detailed simulations of how somebody thought space combat would actually work. They were intended to give the player the feeling of being the hero in a Saturday matinee space adventure, and in this they succeed admirably.

While I was making that point, I included an offhand parenthetical remark that I felt that Prophecy didn't quite live up to the standard set by the previous WC games. This is a sub-topic which doesn't particularly interest me, and which I don't really want to discuss. However, when Frosty asked me to clarify my statement, I tried to do so in order to be polite. At the same time, I thought I made it clear that this was only my opinion and that I was not trying to convince anyone that my opinion was any more valid than theirs.

To me, arguing about why I liked Prophecy more or less than WC3:HOTT is tantamount to arguing about why blue and not purple is my favorite color. I don't have any specific reason for liking blue better than purple, and I'm not trying to convince anyone else that they should prefer blue to purple or green. I don't even understand why someone would care about my preferences, nor why anyone would expect me to provide a rationalization for an emotional state of mind.

If anyone would still like to discuss realism in space simulations or in Wing Commander, I would be happy to participate. If not, I have already said more than I ever intended to say on these other topics. So you may enjoy discussing them without the discordant intrusion of my input.

Good day to you, sir.

Yeah, you saved a whole $3.50, you're a friggin' bargain-fiend if ever there was one.
**does his best Elvis impersonation**
"Thankya...Thankya verrramuch"
(Actually, though, I prefer to be called a "Cheap Bastard"...)

And here's a thought to the guy who don't have time to play any more than 5-6 missions of any game he buys:

Why dontcha just buy FEWER games, and play 'em ALL the way thru?...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
MANTIS was realistic.

MANTIS sucked.
When Praying Mantises mate, the female has to rip the male's head off before they can, y'know, get it on.

I'm glad I'm a human.

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
The ocassional hot chick.
If by that you refer to physical appearance, very occasional in Prophecy. :)

Originally posted by Naféasonto
The Wing Commander Movie was okay. I was expecting more since I loved Wing Commander so much, it wasn't what I expected to be, but hey, c'est la vie.
Indeed. :)

When Praying Mantises mate, the female has to rip the male's head off before they can, y'know, get it on.
I thought they did that after mating. But the end result is the same. :) BTW, I think the 'mailto' in your signature is a bit wrong.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
MANTIS was realistic.

MANTIS sucked.

Indeed. However, I must say that both "realistic" and "unrealistic" sci-fi have their place. I consider 2001; A Space Odyssey realistic, and I love it. And Hitchhiker's Guide is my favorite scifi of all time, and it's not realistic. So I think both can be pulled of rather well. I've not yet seen "Realistic Scifi" work in a video game, though.

Who is to say what's realistic when we're dealing with fictional technologies in a fictional situation in the distant future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back