Wing Loader (KS/WCDX) Loader & Voice Over Mod

I would think you'd intercept the script command to play a movie and check the data.
0xFACE002D

But if you'd like to collaborate on register uses I can share our doc. I don't think there's any overlap in wc4 on the flags (but mission success is in the regs and seems the same in both games)
Thanks Pedro!

I checked out 0xFACE002D and there doesn't appear to be any data there, at least in KS memory. I'd love to take a look at your doc. Maybe I can find what I need. Cheers. :p

Thanks Pedro!

I checked out 0xFACE002D and there doesn't appear to be any data there, at least in KS memory. I'd love to take a look at your doc. Maybe I can find what I need. Cheers. :p

It's a scripting command, not a memory address (I'm reverse engineering the data, I rarely look at the executable). That said you could probably do a search on it. Like wise I only deal with the registers and flags in the order they present in the save game data. Anywho I'll PM you a link.

Hi, new to the forum, this is my first post.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone that made WingLoader possible.

I would like to ask if it is possible to remap the buttons of the games, at least those that are offered through DOSBox, as I didn't find any solution. I was able to map Wing Commander I through the DOSBox Mapper to my preferences, in my 8bitdo Pro 2 Gamepad, but I wasn't able to do the same when I launched it through WingLoader. Also, I would like to know if it is possible to use alternate renderers and scalers ( for example, openglnb, supereagle), as in the default DOSBox GOG release.

Last edited:
Hi, new to the forum, this is my first post.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone that made WingLoader possible.

I would like to ask if it is possible to remap the buttons of the games, at least those that are offered through DOSBox, as I didn't find any solution. I was able to map Wing Commander I through the DOSBox Mapper to my preferences, in my 8bitdo Pro 2 Gamepad, but I wasn't able to do the same when I launched it through WingLoader. Also, I would like to know if it is possible to use alternate renderers and scalers ( for example, openglnb, supereagle), as in the default DOSBox GOG release.
Thanks. I don't think there is a way to remap the KS version of Wing Commander. At least, not that I'm aware of. For a gamepad, I usually add Wing Loader as a non-steam game and use Steams built in gamepad mapper to map the keyboard commands. This works good for WC1 but 2 & 3 is a different story as they don't have great keyboard controls.

As for the renders and scalers. I Beleive ddraw and Dgvoodoo2 have some render options like scanlines and things like that if you use that instead of wcdx.

I came to a similar conclusion. I rewatched Space Cadet Rewind's Video, where he played the Kilrathi Saga version of Wing Commander I, and he used rewasd for the remapping. The think is, that rewasd is non free software ( though granted, it seems to be VERY nice ). Off to PCGamingwiki then, to find a similar-ish input wrapper.

I came to a similar conclusion. I rewatched Space Cadet Rewind's Video, where he played the Kilrathi Saga version of Wing Commander I, and he used rewasd for the remapping. The think is, that rewasd is non free software ( though granted, it seems to be VERY nice ). Off to PCGamingwiki then, to find a similar-ish input wrapper.
Looks like it might be just $7 to buy the mapping part of rewasd https://www.daemon-tools.cc/cart

AntiMicroX can do the job for me, and is free and open source software. I will attach my mapper file for my 8bitdo Pro 2 Bluetooth Gamepad ( the gamepad is set in Direct Input mode, so that I can remap the "Guide" button ).

I am already at McAuliffe 3, and I have to say that I am very impressed. The only thing noticeable is that sometimes the "dialog cutscene" animation frames seem to stay longer than the speech, and some other times there are some skips, as if I clicked a button to advance the cutscene.

Attachments

• Wing Commander.gamecontroller.amgp.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It also depends on your controller that you want to use for the game a bit too. Logitech gamepads and sticks usually have bundled mapping programs that will work regardless of . If you are using an xbox controller you can just use Microsoft's "xbox accessories" app as well to map pretty much anything.

Wing Loader V0.92 Release

Well... I'm got some great news and some bad news. I'll start with the bad news.

Wing Commander III HD Video playback via Wing Loader has been cancelled. I was planning to release this a couple of weeks from now but I ultimately cancelled the project... Why? Well that's where the great news comes in! Someone did it for me!!! And in my testing, theirs works better. :p

Mash has created an Enhancement Pack for Wing Commander III that includes adding in the HD Videos and this is what I'm going to recommend using with Wing Loader moving forward. Check out the patch on his forum page.

https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/wing-commander-iii-enhancement-patch.31926/

Now that that is out of the way, I've packaged Wing Loader v0.92 that includes some new features, fixes and of course, support for Mash's Enhancements Pack.

What's new in v0.92
- Origin Orchestra Intro now included when starting WC1 & WC2
- You can now launch WC1 & WC2 via DosBox from inside Wing Loader (Voiceovers will not work due to DosBox Memory management)
- ImGui support. (Minimal)
- New settings menu (ImGui) to setup Wing Loader to your liking. (Press M to bring up the Settings Menu)
- MP4 playback now with synced audio via libVLC. (Removed OpenCV)
- Added support for Mash's Wing Commander Enhancement Pack!!!!!!!!
- Fixed a few missing lines in Wing Commander 1 Voice Mod.
- Memory Leaks in (Definitions, Asset Loading, and Cameras fixed)
- Removed camera jump when in range to objects. (This was on optimization but on some CPU's was causing jittery icons)
- Many more minor changes and bug fixes.

While I'm sad I never got the HD videos done in time, I'm over the moon with Mash's patch. :D I guess I'll move on to the next phase of Wing Loader development. Stay tuned. :p

Installation Instructions:

Wing Loader
1) Extract the contents of WingLoaderv0.92.zip somewhere on your computer. ex: C:\Games

Wing Commander I
1) Install "Wing Commander" via GOG / GOG Galaxy into the Root WingLoader folder. ex: C:\Games\Wingloader so the final result will look like C:\Games\Wingloader\Wing Commander
2) Download Wing Commander 1.5 https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Secret_Missions_1.5_(Kilrathi_Saga) and extract the contents of sm15_kilrathisaga.zip into the "gamedat" folder.
*Skip the overwrite. It will not cause you issues if you do, Wing Loader Manages the Install.dat file for you.
3) Grab the latest version of WCDX https://github.com/Bekenn/wcdx/releases and extract the files into the Wing Commander install folder.
4) Run Wing Loader and click the Gear icon at the lower right and select "Patch Wing Commander I".
WC_wcdx.exe SM1_wcdx.exe SM2_wcdx.exe

Wing Commander II
1) Install "Wing Commander II" via GOG / GOG Galaxy into the Root WingLoader folder. ex: C:\Games\Wingloader so the final result will look like C:\Games\Wingloader\Wing Commander II
2) Grab the latest version of WCDX https://github.com/Bekenn/wcdx/releases and extract the files into the Wing Commander II install folder.
3) Run Wing Loader and click the Gear icon at the lower right and select "Patch Wing Commander II".
WC2_wcdx.exe SO1_wcdx.exe SO2_wcdx.exe

Wing Commander III
1) Install "Wing Commander III" via GOG / GOG Galaxy into the Root WingLoader folder. ex: C:\Games\Wingloader so the final result will look like C:\Games\Wingloader\Wing Commander III
2) Grab the latest version of Mash's Wing Commander III Enhancement Pack https://github.com/mattwells77/Wing_Commander_III_Enhancement_Patch/releases/tag/wc3w_en and copy the files into the Wing Commander III install folder.
- You will also need libvlc_min_pack_3.0.20.zip from the downloads section and copy those files into the Wing Commander III install folder as well.
3) Grab ODVS's HD videos https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Wing_Commander_3_HD_Video_Pack and extract them into the movies folder inside the Wing Commander III install directory. ex C:\Games\Wingloader\Wing Commander III\movies
4) Run Wing Loader and click the Gear icon at the lower right and select "Patch Wing Commander III".
WC3W.EXE

Wing Commander IV
1) Install "Wing Commander IV" via GOG / GOG Galaxy into the Root WingLoader folder. ex: C:\Games\Wingloader so the final result will look like C:\Games\Wingloader\Wing Commander IV

* Install any additional mods or patches but it should work out of the box.
wc4dvd.exe

* I have yet to get the HD Videos working properly with these games yet but if you want them you can install them.

Wing Commander Prophecy / Secret Ops
1) Install "Wing Commander Prophecy" and/or "Wing Commander Secret Ops" via GOG / GOG Galaxy into the Root WingLoader folder. ex: C:\Games\WingLoader so the final result will look like C:\Games\Wingloader\Wing Commander Prophecy (or Secret Ops)
2) Download and install the Model Upgrade Pack https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Model_Upgrade_Pack and set up the display settings to your liking.
3) Go into your install directory and right click the Prophecy.exe and go to the compatibility tab.
- Click "Change settings for all users" and de-select "Run in Compatibility Mode"
- Click "Apply" if the option is still checked for Compatibility Mode de-select and click Apply.
* If Compatibility Mode is not enabled. Enable it, Apply and then repeat the steps.
- Do the same process with SecretOps.exe in the Wing Commander Secret Ops folder.
prophecy.exe secretops.exe

* I have yet to get the DVD or the HD Videos working properly with these games yet but if you want them you can install them.

Excellent!

Yeah Im in the same boat with WCP/WCIV DVD patches. Maybe one day someone will do a libvlc type patch. That really does work well for WC3

I downloaded 0.92 ( MEGA was giving me some issues, but I finally managed to download it ), unzipped it, and applied it over my previous WingLoader Install. Works OK on Wing Commander 1. OriginFX Logo uses Adlib emulation? If I configure Wing Commander to use MT-32 will it recognize it ( I have already a MUNT setup )?

I downloaded 0.92 ( MEGA was giving me some issues, but I finally managed to download it ), unzipped it, and applied it over my previous WingLoader Install. Works OK on Wing Commander 1. OriginFX Logo uses Adlib emulation? If I configure Wing Commander to use MT-32 will it recognize it ( I have already a MUNT setup )?
No, the origin Intro is just an MP4 file. I screen grabbed the DosBox standard and then added it to play before the game starts using the WC3HD video player. Changing in game settings will not affect the video.

Does the MT-32 sound better?

I've never played around with audio emulation but all I do know is that I always hated the fireworks sound effect. Lol

Unzip and play.
Recorded through OBS.
Original Source :
  • Video: DOSBox 0.74.2
  • Audio: Falcosoft Midi Player with MUNT VSTi Plug-in. MT-32 "Old" ROMs.
  • This file, if it is transcoded to MP4 by Handbrake, is playable through WingLoader ( at least in my system ). You need to place it in the [path to file]WingLoader/Data/Videos folder and rename it as the default intro, with the OPL (Ad Lib) soundcard. I would upload the MP4 directly, but it seems that it is too big for post attachment.

Attachments

• 2024-05-16 23-30-25.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back