Wing Leader Tests Show Off CRT Shader & Character Models (April 25, 2021)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
A frequent question we get is to ask what's up with Wing Leader, Howard Day's impressive tech demo in the Unity engine. It's been in suspended animation for a bit, but Howard recently posted some shots of what it looks like with Mattias_G's CRT shader in place. It gets quite a retro vibe! He's also been playing around with some character models. His Hunter and Angel are below. I especially like the recreation of the flight suits. Howard was careful to point out that this wasn't a restart of the project, but it's always good to see him tooling around with Wing Commander stuff!

Here are some more direct side by side shots of the shader enabled.

My very early take on some talking heads for Wing Leader. Rendered in 3dsmax 2022, using Fessler's index painting technique!

This time with "Angel" Devereaux! The face model is by Damon Czanik. Straight renders outta 3dsmax. :D

#Wingleader Video with the CRT filter turned on! Looking fairly cool. :D#unity3d #3dsmax #crt #retro pic.twitter.com/PEb0SY0gEq— Howie Day (@howieeday) April 22, 2021[/quote]

--
Original update published on April 25, 2021

Howard, you know the rules, go full WAIFU with the girls, aim for Academy artwork, make Angel and Spirit give the Dead or Alive girls, or even 2b and her sister a2 from Nier Automata a run for its money.

BTW Mattias CRT is great, though Lottes and now Royale are nice too.
And i would love to see this finished :)

btw ive been tweaking with it and i may release this later

wing1 2021-04-20 01-14-28.jpg

Howard, you know the rules, go full WAIFU with the girls, aim for Academy artwork, make Angel and Spirit give the Dead or Alive girls, or even 2b and her sister a2 from Nier Automata a run for its money.

I googled what waifu means thinking it must stand for something.

That is...disturbing.

Angel is starting to look more familiar. When I saw the original post, I thought it was a random new character, she didn't look like Angel to me at all.

Not criticising, BTW - I understand facial characterisations are hard, especially when making a transition from 2D to 3D. I could see Hunter in the original post, but that trademark cigar (on a space vessel, really?) makes a difference.

The second version shown here reminded me of that studious look-directly-at the-viewer expression I remember from WC1. The third version works as well, but hard to say. Understand this is all WIP.

Thanks! I went ahead and made another dude.
This is Capt "Conan" Doyle, one of the senior pilots on the Tolmacs-class light carrier you'll serve on in the campaign. As always, it's a straight 3DSMax render, no editing. :D
View attachment 12456View attachment 12457
this reminds me of the russian guy who makes portraits and animations for classic fallout mods

ShadowArm: Ooooh, that looks cool!
Made Conan's 'stache more robust and bristly!
I also went ahead and added some more variation to the flightsuits - a data/control connection plug and a oxygen tube. Both will connect to the helmets they wear in-cockpits.
Conan_Flight.png

Conan_Casual.png

Hunter_Flight.png

Angel_Flight.png

Angel_Casual.png

Chef_Flight.png

Enjoy!

I say give Hunter portrait cigar smug back as bonus portrait
Also, for some reason he reminds me of DS9 O'brien

Back