Wing Commander:.....??? which will be the new name:)

And most of them were either over-ambitious and came out as crap, or enountered huge problems along the way (like Duke changing 3D engines.)

TC

Yes, I sould have put "...4 years from now" to avoid mistakes, I would not mind a SO2 until a new game can be made but with the loss of maverick team, it will take some time before Origin can even start to make the new game himself.
I am conserned about Origin future, EA have already made Bullfrog end, I hope that Origin does not take that path, but if it does EA sould give the WC license to any software house willing to make a WC game. EA sould have no problem with that if they would collect royalties on the license itself and handle the destibution of the game, like Interplay does with the AD&D games.

It would be incredibly stupid to give away a hugely popular and well known game series. And OSI won't be closed anytime soon. It's doing perfectly well, and it's always been a good way for EA to test new stuff (eg. MMP, distribution over the internet, interactive movies, etc etc etc.)

TC

Not give the license away, let another house make the game get royalties from the game and handle the distribution, EA does not have to spend any money with the game and still get money if the game fails.
The example I made is quite simple in that, either Interplay (that handle the distribution of the game) or Black Isle have the AD&D license but the Baldur´s Gate (I and II) game was made by Bioware, a canadian software house using its (Bioware´s)engine, two other games, Planescape, Torment and Icewind dale that use both the Bioware engine and AD&D license were made by Black Isle itself, that made RPG fans happy and give Interplay, Bioware and Black Isle money, I think that is Interplay that have the AD&D licence until 2005, they could keep the license to thenselfs and made the games alone but they have fail one and decided that was more profit in letting others to make games, of couse that the license is of Interplay and the handle the distribution of the game.
Everbody is happy with that, so EA could do the same thing.

And Origin only have a skeleton crew now, only UO games are going to be made until EA changes its mind about that. Also Origin is part of EA like Bullfrog was before being ended, it lost its independace its fate belongs to EA.
And EA idea of online games its not going to make a lot of profit since despite all tecnology advancements, internet is still on its early days, it will take a few more years until online games will became as popular as single player games.

[Edited by Dragon on 02-17-2001 at 14:07]

But would it be rentable for Origin/EA? If they would give the license to another firm...which would produce the game for EA...I believe there are too many other games like WC on the market..and WC is too expensive,because of the screenshots..so not enough games are sold to let them make money with WC. Earlier the concurrence was not so big...but today...so I also have my doubts that they would find a firm which would like to buy the WC rights to produce the games.

Skeleton crew? What the heck are you talking about? Origin currently maintains a full staff, with several projects in development...

As for the current MMP-game craze: this too, shall pass.

Several projects? I thought they were centering on UO exclusively so that they canceled all other projects.

Which is why we dont have another WC in the works :(

That is also what I have read, Maverick team out, another team that was to work in WC games out, only Ultima online games would be developed on Origin.
The MMP may pass but by the look of things in EA that is were they are aiming at this time.

I was doing some research last week about Ultima Online. Taking into account the length of time it's been here, and the amount of users it gains each year, I ended up with some (very) rough estimates -
1. UO's profit, in 2000 alone, would have been at least $20,000,000 (that's just user fees; game sales are not included).
2. UO's profit, from its beginning until the end of 2000, would have been around about $42,000,000.
3. If UO's user growth continues this year at the same level as last year - and until UO2 comes out, there's no reason to suspect otherwise - UO will make another $40,000,000 this year through user fees and sales.

UWO:O is the only formally announced project at Origin, although there are several other development teams working on non-Ultima titles.

They haven't announced them yet, and we've *all* seen the folly of everyone knowing what Origin is doing before they're sure it'll be completed. :)

Back