Wing Commander TV Show

Originally posted by Bellerophon

I hated the fighters in the movie, the rapiers looked more like something from a WW2 movie and not space fighters.

heheh...so they looked exactly how they were supposed to look?

Anyway, the Rapier from the movie has actually grown on me. I kind of like it. The Concordia Supercruiser is freaking awesome looking. The rest gets a big "BLEH" from me. Especially the Broadswords. Horrid.

Originally posted by Bellerophon

I bought the movie of course but it didn't do the books or the games justice.

I hated the fighters in the movie, the rapiers looked more like something from a WW2 movie and not space fighters.

I didn't care for the movie ships either, but their designs isn't a good reason to dis them.

DAMN MOVIE! SPACE FIGHTERS! WAQ!!!!!!!

AND ALSO IN TEH MOVIE THERE ARE BEING PILGRAMS!!!!! AND BLAIR IS FLYING A SPACE FIGHTER INSTEAD OF A STAR FIGHTER!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS????

Oh, wait. Dead horse. Beating. Stop.

Please don't be an idiot at the CZ. We've *all* heard these stupid movie rants. Over and over and over and over and over.

And we've all heard the praise about the games too :) Its been 4 years since Secret Ops, most topics have been discussed so much that the regulars can predict whats coming.

Fact is the movie was bad as a movie, some fans may like it, some don't but as a movie it was badly written and thanks to some bad editing didn't even make sense. As a fan I was troubled with how distant it was from the games but I don't think thats what stopped movie goers from watching it.
Having said that Resident Evil was only an ok movie but as a fan I loved it as it was very true to the games and it raked in the money and got greenlighted for a sequel... maybe there is something to be said for staying close to the games... :)

Originally posted by Pedro
maybe there is something to be said for staying close to the games... :)

Well of course. Wing Commander games have already demonstrated a huge fan appeal and approval for the story line. By going away from that you alleniate the people that liked that story line. It might even be said that it is an attack on what we liked in the game. Suppose that Wing Commander had started out with the whole "Pilgrim" concept. Would we like it as much? Perhaps, but still the first movie, is not the place to introduce completely new concepts to an existing universe.

I watched Lord of the Rings again after re-reading the book. It is pretty close to what Tolkien originally wrote, and that gives it the huge following that it currently enjoys.

Enough rambling thoughts, comments feedback, as always are welcome.

Originally posted by KrisV
Movies are made for the masses, not for the 207 dedicated followers.

The fact is that there are more than that many "dedicated followers" AND its irrelevant, lets take the Final Fantasy movie as an example for a bit so as to distance the point from the "it is wing commander" or "it isn't wing commander" train...

Final Fantasy is a set of games which aquired a large following on nintendo, then switched to playstation where it gained an even huger following, whilst each game was set in its own universe there were certain plot factors that always remained the same and they were very plot orientated whereas the film had non of the Evil warped from a traumatic childhood badguys with magical powers nor any of the beautifull princesses... it was infact a sci-fi action movie attempting to leech of the liscence, the result a disaster.

Wing Commander had followers at around the 1 million mark, because you have to understand that to appreciate a game, although Kris this is the way you and many others including myself appreciate wing commander, you do not have to be an active member of the community, you do not have buy all the merchandise or even own all the games.
After playing WC3 and 4 I was a fan of wing commander, I didn't rush out and buy the old games but I would have been disgruntled with the film had those been the only two games I ever played. Some people, even if they liked a series get put off by bad review scores I should point out.
Now is this the only issue? Wing Commander had also proved a winning formula with its focus on plot and character interaction with a good mix of action, the visual style had proved pleasing, the timeline had won many computer games fans hearts, why would these things not appeal to the movie goers?

The fact is that Resident Evil succeeded because it didn't alienate the fans so that their voices were heard complaining everywhere and it provided the same formula of an intresting plot which is however only dished out in small doses and scares from Zombies, Lickers and monster dogs, gigantic creatures ripping inside trains. It did alienate people by adding the Red Queen, artifcial intelligence, a working AI is something hard to swallow, the games had proved that audiences liked virus infected Zombies but had done nothing to show peoples opinions about homicidal Artifical Intelligence (something which had failed to be we well greeted in many other films before it) as such it is the least liked part of the film.

Tomb Raider was about as successfull as the current games (far less than originally) for the same reason as the games did, big tits and two guns :p

So what if we'd had futuristic style carrier and fighter interiors and exteriors, what if the Kilrathi were furry creatures and the use the force Luke stuff abondoned with the exclusion of the Pilgrims, what if they'd created a plot like the ones found in the novels which work within the universe without distorting it?

The truth is that we'll never know, all that can do is look at the track record of video game movies and which have succeeded to conclude that movie goers may not be all that different from gamers so why change the winning formula?

Originally posted by KrisV
Movies are made for the masses, not for the 207 dedicated followers.

And they thought *THAT* would please the masses? They would have been better off trying to please the 207 dedicated followers...that's about how many people saw the movie....then they would have please 207 people, instead of the 5 who were pleased with the way it was.

Originally posted by Pedro
Final Fantasy is a set of games which aquired a large following on nintendo, then switched to playstation where it gained an even huger following, whilst each game was set in its own universe there were certain plot factors that always remained the same and they were very plot orientated whereas the film had non of the Evil warped from a traumatic childhood badguys with magical powers nor any of the beautifull princesses... it was infact a sci-fi action movie attempting to leech of the liscence, the result a disaster.

Blame the American screenwriters after you blame the director. Hironobu Sakaguchi could've asked for a re-write but he went ahead with it.

Arguably, everything after the first Wing Commander game is "leeching the license" as you put it. Of course a company wants to make money; do you blame them!?

Wing Commander had followers at around the 1 million mark

Evidence please, Mr Census taker?

because you have to understand that to appreciate a game, although Kris this is the way you and many others including myself appreciate wing commander, you do not have to be an active member of the community, you do not have buy all the merchandise or even own all the games.

I don't get what you're saying. Because people aren't part of the CZ they can enjoy the WC movie more? :)

After playing WC3 and 4 I was a fan of wing commander, I didn't rush out and buy the old games but I would have been disgruntled with the film had those been the only two games I ever played. Some people, even if they liked a series get put off by bad review scores I should point out.

If someone tells me a movie is bad, I decide to find out myself. I wasn't disappointed in the WC movie. The second half was a little dry but I absolutely love the first half. I knew it would get bashed, I knew people like you with more "discerning tastes" wouldn't like it, but if you go in looking for Oscar Nods from a ***video game based movie***, you're the stupid one, not the movie.

The fact is that Resident Evil succeeded because it didn't alienate the fans so that their voices were heard complaining everywhere and it provided the same formula of an intresting plot which is however only dished out in small doses and scares from Zombies, Lickers and monster dogs, gigantic creatures ripping inside trains.

I saw the Resident Evil movie for the first time last night. It was really really really awful. Heck, the commercial spots look like a work of Howard Hughes after seeing that peice of crap. I've played the RE series on both the PS and the GC remake. The games are pretty good but man, Chris Roberts wipes his ass with the script of that movie.

It did alienate people by adding the Red Queen, artifcial intelligence, a working AI is something hard to swallow, the games had proved that audiences liked virus infected Zombies but had done nothing to show peoples opinions about homicidal Artifical Intelligence (something which had failed to be we well greeted in many other films before it) as such it is the least liked part of the film.

No, it alienated it's viewers by being a really bad movie. The only people I know who liked it have the brain compacity to remember one episode of Invader Zim at a time.

Tomb Raider was about as successfull as the current games (far less than originally) for the same reason as the games did, big tits and two guns

As opposed to Claire Redfield in RE: Nemesis which was tits and an uzi?

The truth is that we'll never know, all that can do is look at the track record of video game movies and which have succeeded to conclude that movie goers may not be all that different from gamers so why change the winning formula?

Games made into movies is one of the biggest mistakes film has ever made. Name one video game movie that made a passing attempt to try and be intelligent instead of catering to a very dumbed down audience.

Lets not even talk about the "Enter The Dragon" rip-off the original Mortal Kombat movie was.

Any spineless coward can take a stab at the Wing Commander movie. Defending it is a labor of love.

A Wing Commander movie can do no wrong aside from a misspelling or two.

While I didn't really like the WCM at first either-after seeing it a few more times, I came to actually appreciate it, so I can see what LeHah is saying.

As for Resident Evil-I tend to agree again, that movie was one of the worst things I've seen in the last year or two. (And I've seen some BAD movies!)

Eh, Final Fantasy was a great movie. It worked very well for people like me who didn't ever play the games. Plus, I found that its plot was actually quite intelligent for the most part, or at least better than most sci-fi movies that come out these days. Had the film bothered to advertise itself as much as, for example, Tomb Raider, it could have been a success.

Back