Wing Commander TV Show

Originally posted by Darkmage
NO FMV
You forget that SO was originally free.

TOO MANY PATROLS
Get used to it. You can't have a fly strikes every mission... and I'm sure there aren't that many patrols.

No character interaction
You're forgetting the comms at the start of some missions, especially the verbal sniping at Maestro.

no enemy aces
Did you see any Devil Rays?

Capships - where did the Confed fleet go?
There were plenty of rendezvouses with other capships in SO.

Haven't read the novel, but I think the 'official' story is that it was only disabled, then later restored.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Haven't read the novel, but I think the 'official' story is that it was only disabled, then later restored.

In the book, the lady lex was only disabled (I'll have to try the leech weapons in the game and see how it turns out)

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

(for the book)

In the book, Blair fires his torpedo at the Lex, but causes it to prematurely detonate, so that the damage to the Lex is primarily shock damage - it knocks out the launch cradles, and probably the external features on the ship such as weapons and sensor arrays)

:)

The WCIV novel and game don't exactly follow the same path. They both end up at more or less the same point, but there are some differences in how they reach that point.
As others have mentioned, there were plenty of aces in WCP. I'd guess that at least a third of the Devil Rays are "Devil Ray Aces". Apparently the Nephilim belong to the anime school of thought when assigning fighters - i.e. give your best pilots the super fighter. Considering how much better than everything else the Devil Ray is, I can't say I blame them.
Or it could be that only Devil Ray pilots last long enough to rate a distinction from the regular pilots.
Now there was a distinct lack of Nephilim personalities, but that made sense from a story standpoint. Maybe if the third part of the Prophecy story is ever told, we'll get to meet some bugs.
Bugs are predictable? How so? I can honestly say that I can only think of two other sci-fi stories that feature bug-like creatures in starfighters - and one of them came AFTER Prophecy - Freespace.
The other story is Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game", and in that story, the Formic starfighters are not really essential to the story.
Starfire (and its related novels by David Weber) feature bug-like creatures and starfighters, but the Arachnids themselves never actually fly fighters.

AFAIK, all Devil Rays in WCP are aces. Only SO has the 'ordinary' Devil Ray pilots, there are several time where you encounter more than just one or two.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
If you leech the Lexington, you see a scene of it disabled instead of destroyed later on.

I always thought that was cool. I loved how they went into that much detail.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
If you leech the Lexington, you see a scene of it disabled instead of destroyed later on.

Cool. Bet they won't let you leech the Vesuvius though :(. I'll have to replay and see if I can use leech missiles on Seether as well ;)

Originally posted by Zor Prime
I think he still blows up :(

Shame. It would have been a laugh to see his ship dead in space while he was cursing at you and still claiming to be genetically superior because you didn't kill him :D

Actually, IIRC, he regenerates his leech damage, so he just doesn't stay leeched. As a result, you're forced to make him explode.

Originally posted by TC
Actually, IIRC, he regenerates his leech damage, so he just doesn't stay leeched. As a result, you're forced to make him explode.

That would stay congruent with at least one source that stated that the Dragon could repair it's leech damage it just took a little while (don't remember which one, maybe the WC4 novel or even the WC4 spoof: the price of entertainment :) ????).

C-ya

Originally posted by Viper61

That would stay congruent with at least one source that stated that the Dragon could repair it's leech damage it just took a little while (don't remember which one, maybe the WC4 novel or even the WC4 spoof: the price of entertainment :) ????).

C-ya

That's why I leech the Dragon, then slowly creep up in front of its cockpit 20 feet away, pause, and blast it to slag.

Originally posted by Viper61
...don't remember which one, maybe the WC4 novel or even the WC4 spoof: the price of entertainment...
Probably the latter - I haven't read the novel.

I don't think the Vesuvius takes any damage from leech guns/missiles. Then again, I don't think I've tried.

WC TV...

Just dropped by on this great message board to say I had a pleasure to speak briefly with Mr Roberts two months ago and he said it's far to early to speak about any datails of the TV show. He said he'd do it and it'd be live action. But what time-period, what 'look' (games or movie) was not decided at this point. It's in very pre-production state now but I'm sure it'll be made.

Arkadiusz Grzegorzak
(Nowa Fantastyka Magazine)

PS. Did You know that both Prinze and Lillard back then, when they did a movie, signed for the sequel? Speaking about irony of life.

"The Truth is too precious to give to every fool who asks for it."

Back