Wing Commander Secret Ops!!!!

Originally posted by Earthworm
Oh, that's for sure. The thing that bugs me is that even the so called "respecable" game sites host the episodes. Why don't the just admit that they're pirates, and put up all of the older WC games for download?

I didn't know that the sites that host the missions are anything beyond warez sites. by respectable do you mean like download.com or what, because I really thought that real otherwise legal websites would know better. DO we know if those websites asked origin for permission and were given it? if so that makes them perfectly legal

They aren't allowed to. OSI gave permission for other sites to carry the original download (episode one and the game files). OSI did not, however, allow anyone to carry the later mission files. Therefore, anyone who has them available for download is doing it illegally.

TC

Ok thanx, TC I was just wondering since I would think that if what EW is true and "respectable" sites carry them, then I would think that they would know better.

Doing some surfing over the weekend I found 8 legitimate sites based in Europe that had those missions. Now heres the catcher, each one had links to the EA site. And some even had links from EA to them. I wont say what the sites url is cause it isnt for me to say they can be posted. However, the thing that puzzles me is that EA is based in Europe, and these sites that still have these missions are also in Europe. Seems like EA isnt all that concerned with those being available on those sites. Perhaps some or all of those sites got permission to post them. Maybe they did grant permission to these sites, maybe not, in either case, whats the point in keeping them out of reach when they dont even have the WCP Gold stocked to sell, not even from EA/OSI directly. Seems very counter productive. Almost like they are trying to break up the WC community with frustration. One thing is for shure, this is not good PR. And any business survival heavily depends on good public relations. EA should have a page you can download these or grant permission to sites to have them online. So what if the SO was an online thing, thats long over with. If it was only meant for online, why the heck did they market WCP Gold and then only distribute a finite number of copies? Then tell everyone take those missions down from the sites. Thats like saying, ok we will put out a game, you have this much time to grab it, then your SOL. Quite frankly, I wouldnt trust anything EA or OSI has to say anymore. They now occupy the bottom end of my hate list of game makers.

RFBurns

"You are no match for me!" [Kilrathi, WCP]

Brake up the WC community with frustration!? Who is here frustrated?
I have other things I have to be frustrated of than such a computer firm...and I think some other people just think so.
I like the WC universe. WC is the BEST computer game I've played. So I came here into the community. My parents even don't understand me because I (originally said by my father:) 'am spending my time on a dead thing.' I don't think so and even if it is so...I got many new people to know. Nice people (as I want to say). This is even worth to spend the time on a 'dead thing'. And as long as some people still play WC, this community will exist!

The frustration would be in trying to find WC items and hit dead ends! Im shure there are plenty of folks out there still looking for WC stuff. Some have it all, and there would be no frustration, others are still looking and hunting. Either way, EA/OSI is basically abandoning both the series and the fans. And I dont think there is much argument with that. When fans have to make mods for other games to keep the WC spirit alive and EA/OSI refuses to make product available, its a no brainer.

RFBurns

"These guys are history!" [Hawk, WCIV]

Originally posted by RFBurns
Seems like EA isnt all that concerned with those being available on those sites.
And what are they suposed to do about it? Maybe they should hire some lawyers and sue every one of those sites?

in either case, whats the point in keeping them out of reach when they dont even have the WCP Gold stocked to sell, not even from EA/OSI directly.
So why not release the older games if their not being sold? Juse because the game isn't sold anymore doesn't mean the company will just release it, almost nobody does that.
Almost like they are trying to break up the WC community with frustration.
Yeah, keep thinking up those conspiracy theories...
So what if the SO was an online thing, thats long over with. If it was only meant for online, why the heck did they market WCP Gold and then only distribute a finite number of copies?
They distributed SO through the internet as a test, who are you to say that they can't later get some profit out of it?

Then tell everyone take those missions down from the sites.
Those respectable sites were never allowed to host SO in the first place though.
They now occupy the bottom end of my hate list of game makers.
Do you hate every company that tries to make profit for it's own products?

Really?...why can you find old games still in stores then? Shure they are in the bargin bins, but they are there. Regardless of what anyone says here, I know for a fact that if you advertise something, either web or print, then dont make product available, you loose business and customers.
Elementary business common sense dude. Bet they arent making a penny with any of the WC games right now are they?

RFBurns

Bet they arent making a penny with any of the WC games right now are they?
So you think they should just release them all on the net like the did with SO?

Why, so that people who didn't know about the games few years ago can get them? It' not EA's fault that fans didn't get the games when they were available, including SO.

WC P Gold never show up in here (Portugal), so what do we do if we did not had Internet at that time?
Its not even being sold in the EA store anymore.
Its a good thing I got the Mag CDs with all the missions, I install those a week ago and they still fine.
And EA start that as a test, if they are not going to rerelease WC P gold or any game with SO, they could put the missions back in that site.

Originally posted by Dragon
WC P Gold never show up in here (Portugal), so what do we do if we did not had Internet at that time?
You try to get it some other way. I'm sure PG isn't the only game that was never released in Portugal, but there must be some way to get it.
Its not even being sold in the EA store anymore.
Neither is any other WC game, what's your point?

And EA start that as a test, if they are not going to rerelease WC P gold or any game with SO, they could put the missions back in that site.
They could do that... and Gateway/IBM/Dell could give us all P3 1Gh computers for free... and Dodge could give us Vipers... and Microsoft could give us a copy of their newest OS as soon as it's released...

Originally posted by Earthworm
Bet they arent making a penny with any of the WC games right now are they?
So you think they should just release them all on the net like the did with SO?

Why, so that people who didn't know about the games few years ago can get them? It' not EA's fault that fans didn't get the games when they were available, including SO.

Maybe contract a smaller distributor with no support, ya know, as is no warranty type of thing. Theres plenty of info and help on the net that can take care of that. I dont suggest releasing on the net for free, but rather a page where you can ORDER it and wait a few weeks or even a few months till the distributor gets enough orders to press them, regardless of age of game. If EA/OSI want profit, not doing anything at all is a very very slow way of making profit! :)

RFBurns

Contracting releases for their older games has been nothing but heartache for Origin -- look what happened when they let Software Toolworks release Ultima 1-6 and WC1 Deluxe...

1st- EW, I have just for the kick of it press the registation button in there, EA just wanted our E-Mail adress to send Ads to us, I have enoght junk send to my E-Mail thank you.

2nd- Never nice Idea, problem is that WC P Gold is a EA game, if they dont sell it no one will, so your point is???

3rd-It was free to start with (well, not free, they would get your E-Mail and adress[they will never get it, I get a lot of junk, either in my E-Mail or Mail box]) so your point is????

I think EA/OSI make the point on their own just fine without my saying anything. Let the posts speak for themselves. Lotta folks trying to get SO still and other WC stuff. No sense in beating a dead horse, the horse is dead. I am glad to say I have WCP Gold, given to me by a good friend who no longer wanted it. Maybe others will find it thru some other means besides the maker. As I have stated before, THE SAGA CONTINUES.

RFBurns

What is it with stupid people and conspiracies?

So you're saying that EA spend several hundred thousand dollars to pay a design team and record voice-work to develop a complete computer game so that they could get your e-mail address, in an attempt to advertise games? Do you realize how little sense this makes?

If you bothered to read the fine print at the SO site, you'd have found that the e-mail addresses would not be sold to junk-mail lists and that they were only being used to guage the popularity of the game. Anyone stupid enough not to register because of this helped screw over Wing Commander.

(That's not entirely true -- there was also a contest, and 40 people who entered their e-mail addresses won SO shirts or hats... OF EVIL!)

I dont like to get junk mail, EA would send this to my E_mail
"Need for Speed IX"
"The New ...bla bla bla bla"
Like I get from making the error of registrate a game that I buy.
And the SO was free to download, it used the WC P engine with a few modification, the voice overs are just voices overs, if they record it for SO or they had it since WC P to either put it on the game (WC P) or the "ad on" SO.
And if they sell my information I could put then in court, since selling personal information to outside sorces its Ilegal in here.
EA also know that since they have offices here.
And there is more that they ask that the E-Mail, like the full name, adress, zip code and several questions about the game that we like, not especific questions about WC.

Originally posted by Dragon
I dont like to get junk mail, EA would send this to my E_mail
"Need for Speed IX"
"The New ...bla bla bla bla"
I don't recall having ever gotten any extraneous mail as a result of registering for WCSO. The only thing I ever got was a verification of my registration, and a serial number to use for future installations of the game.

Good, but still I am quite careful before register, all those questions looked a little strange and more directed to that kind of thing that anything else.
Besides I only get Internet after the online test was over, like the people asking for the episodes.
I am lucky by buying a Mag that give the game and the episodes on the CDs, not all were that lucky.

Back