Wing Commander Remake?

PuG123

Spaceman
Its a shame the games arin't remade using a newer upto date graphics and gamplay engin. Nothing beats the storyline and atmosphere of the games but im unable to play them any more due to the age of them.

What do you lot recon?

There's the Kilrathi Saga if you can find it - it'll let you run WCs 1-3 in Windows, with a speed limiter... well, it was effective back in the Pentium era. :D

EA doesn't have much interest in remaking games, not when Kilrathi Saga re-release did so poorly.

First off, it's recKon! I'm a backwoods hick, I know how it's supposed to be spelled! :D

On to the subject, with a small investment in aging decrepit technology, you can build a "Wing Commander rig", able to play WC1/2/3/4 well without too many problems. I believe LOAF and a few others have such machines going, and can probably tell you what parts to look for.

As for a remake, don't hold your breath.

Indeed, a 386SX/DX 25/33 with 4MB+ of ram should do nicely. I've got loads of spare parts, may try and put one together tomorrow evening if I get bored, relive WC1 and 2 at a speed and frame rate that is humanly possible to control :p

Hey, havent you ever thought that if this remake actually happens, say in Wc1,the game will lose its original atmosphear and so ?

Wc1 has the Best Wc music and atmosphear even with its old 90`s graphics....

A remake???NO THANKS I GOT THE ORIGINAL:p

When you consider that Super WC was essentially a remake of the original, and that it sucked hard (at least the Mac version. No mac jokes please) I'll take the oriiginal any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

haesslich, youmentioned that the Kilrathi Saga came with something called a speed limiter. What is it? Do you know where I can get something like that for my Power Mac G4 so that I can play WC3 and WC4 on it. I really don't wanna go to my parents house to play on their Mac any time i get a WC craving. Thanks.

Wow... I liked Super Wing Commander...

I'll also point out that I play all the old games on my current machine... it just takes fiddling...

sucked hard? I think YOU SUCK HARD! SWC RULES!!!! I run it on my pc using basilisk 2. it kicks the crap out of wing commander 1 for pc. BTW old tech? wtf? A modern pc can run every wc game if you have KS. just reboot to dos for priv and armada. the onboard sb16's on the new motherboards work fine.

If there were some fan project that set out to remake the originals in terms of graphics, and add voiceovers for WC1 (WC2 already has them)... then it would be worth it. Everything would have to remain the same, just the look would change. I know in terms of music, I could easily remix the original midis to make them sound at least a bit better without changing the actual music.... I wonder if anyone would want to take a project like this on....

God forbid Origin/EA actually does something Wing Commander, besides make the same damn game again, but for Game Boy Advanced. Which is totally beyond my understanding why they can't they make a multi-player add for the computer instead of wasting there time with GBA. A remake? Ha! In everyones dreams...

Nafé

Okay, that was dumb of me. I realize in retrospect that you may be being sarcastic. The sheer disjointedness of railing against a remake of Wing Commander Prophecy and then criticising EA for not remaking Wing Commander games is far, far too silly to be serious.

Furthermore, expecting a non-existant company to produce an addon for a five year old game which no longer runs on modern computers is veers past stupid and into hilariously rediculous.

And, of course, criticising EA for a renewed interest in Wing Commander after half a decade simply because you can't afford a $45 GameBoy is dumber than words can possibly express.

So, my apologies as you can't possibly be serious.

OfCourse its not possible LOAF, I think the guys here just talk Hypotheticly "What if ORIGIN released a remake of WC1".At least my post here was answering this hypotheticly release , and as I said I would`nt like a remake of WC1 for the reasons I said below :)

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
OfCourse its not possible LOAF, I think the guys here just talk Hypotheticly "What if ORIGIN released a remake of WC1".At least my post here was answering this hypotheticly release , and as I said I would`nt like a remake of WC1 for the reasons I said below :)

I was referring specifically to the Naféasonto fellow, not the guy who started the thread. A remake of WC would be great.

Remakes are great...well...the one i have played is at least.My #1 Fandom of the Resident Evil series got a Remake of the original just last April, great!!!.

Since I've never played the Original WC i don't care.I'd buy it if it came to a consle system.I only play Consle games thus my lack of WC experience.It would have new story elements, better graphics, new & old music.That sort thing.

Hey i was stating my opinion of it. I didn't like it. It happens. you like one ting and someone esle dosen't. Just because i tihnk that SWC sucked hard, doesn't give you any reason to tell me that i suck hard. No more then if i said i like avril lavigne and you say that she sucks and i go on to tell you that you suck.

Darkmage is probably partially justified -- a lot of WC fans who didn't have access to a 3DO or a Mac in the mid nineties got frustrated that they couldn't play SWC and so took up the line that it was a sucky game. So when you talk about SWC you tend to get a bunch of people who don't even know what it is telling you how it sucks (G) But you seemed to have played it, so if you didn't like it that's none of his business...

Back