Wing Commander re-imagined...

dczanik

Rear Admiral
So, after commenting about the idea of a Wing Commander mod for Star Citizen, I decided to take a stab at making some concept art. Given my lack of time (I'm the project lead for the Star Control 2 HD remake, Ur-Quan Masters HD), I did a little "kit bashing" of some Star Citizen concept art, to try and come up with something original. So, imagine if Wing Commander 1 and 2 were made...today, with Star Citizen's artists. Since the Vanduul take inspiration from the Kilrathi, I took design elements from the Vanduul, while keeping the basic silhouettes the same.

kilrathi_dralthi_concept__wing_commander__by_dczanik-d6grqau.jpg

in 3D (courtesy of Zohrath):
dralthi_re_imagined_wip_by_zohrath-d6reecn.jpg

re_imaged_drakhri_concept__wing_commander_2__by_dczanik-d6grmyk.jpg

re_imagined_sartha_concept__from_wing_commander_2__by_dczanik-d6gr90m.jpg

And this last one, is almost a complete ripoff from Howard Day's stuff (whose stuff is AWESOME):

re_imagined_salthi_concept__wing_commander__by_dczanik-d6grbf8.jpg

wing_commander_re_imagined__p_64_ferret_by_dczanik-d6gyka0.jpg

Just thought you old veterans would enjoy these....

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and if you want to download the pictures at a higher resolution, they're available at dczanik.deviantart.com

Nice! These look really great! I can't wait to see your confed concepts.

hehe.. so you already had made a thread here.. ah well.. it needed to be said anyways :D very cool stuff man!

I like the sharpened-looking blades on the edges of the Dralthi's wings--they look ready to slice open any weakly-armored opponent.

Very nice and I see you already build in some Maneuvering Thrusters on the Dralthi.

Thats the way to how a new Wing Commander should look like. Great work. Hopefully the modding tools have some assets to use. Like cockpits, internal structures and so one. That modders build the hull and put in the internal things to keep up the level of detail.

Now that's a starter ship that can outfight anything with enough skill, and a great place to start. My favorite rocket with guns...beating the A-Wing. Would love to see the C variant with missiles, its awesome looking!

holy! I'm a huge fan of your star control 2 mod. I'm glad you found something else too keep from being burned out as I'm sure that gigantic project did. These are absolutely stunning!

holy! I'm a huge fan of your star control 2 mod. I'm glad you found something else too keep from being burned out as I'm sure that gigantic project did. These are absolutely stunning!

Thanks! That really means a lot to me. Obviously being a Star Control and Wing Commander fan....you have excellent taste ;)

Awesome ! Now I feel motivated to make a Squadron 42 WC mod :)

Nice. I'm all for helping! :)

Now we just need someone to turn these sort of designs into bazillion-polygons 3D models suitable for Squadron 42 :p

I think I love that ferret! The Kilrathi ships are great but I think the Ferret tops them. I really want to see your take on the Broadsword.

Absolutely inspired re-imaginings, dczanik.. Stunning. The Ferret looks positively badass. :) The additional detail you've filled in while respecting the original designs is impressive. I'd love to see someone take on a detailed 3d model of these designs.

I'm sure Chris would be proud. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back