Anybody wanting to make a Wing Commander mod for Star Citizen?

dczanik

Rear Admiral
Probably a dumb question, but I've yet to see it asked...

I've always loved looking at the 3D Models on here. People like Howie Day have made some incredible models that I keep thinking "I would love to be able to have THAT in a game".

Well, now with Star Citizen, we can have something that allows for really detailed models. Has any of the talented people on here considered combining resources to make something for Wing Commander? If so, I'd like to join up or start something. I figure it will take a few years to make the models (interior & exterior). If we had the existing modelers using their existing stuff it would take a lot of time off.

I know the game isn't out, but the Cryengine is. It's a good starting off point.

There's a Freelancer mod already started:
http://www.moddb.com/games/star-citizen/mods
No Wing Commander?

It would be great if WC fans did this... how much would you even have to change? ;)

I think we'll have to wait until the mod tools become available before people get really serious about making a Wing Commander Mod.

Some of the fighters might need some light modifications to the frame for proper physics outputs but the real nuts-n-bolts will be the cockpit/cabin detail and interactivity. Imagine walking up a Broadsword ladder, closing the hatch with a hull panel, walking up to your cockpit as you greet your gunners, and spool that old broad up. Looking left and right you see the ever eager-for-destruction antimatter bombs we call torpedoes glinting evilly beneath your wings. Our old fighters will never be the same, but that may be an improvement to bring them into a true 3D environment.

It'll take some real work to do those old birds justice but nothing's impossible with a proper SDK.

If there was a single player campaign I wouldn't mind helping out with mission scripting; it'd be fun to bring say WC1 to life in Star Citizen.
If you're just talking about a visual mod however I'm afraid I wouldn't be of much use.

I think that would be a great mod... Make a Wing Commander campaign for Squadron 42.

Yeah, I've always been a single player nut, (great stories make great games!), .... I can create a few 3D Models, but there's no way I could produce a full mod. Star Citizen's models are WAYYY too detailed. It would take me years. And I'm making Ur-Quan Masters HD (a Star Control 2 remake), and Project 6014. But, I did some concept art which you can find here:

https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/wing-commander-re-imagined.26977/

Not saying "This is a mod", because there's so much involved. I think I could possibly re-make the Dralthi Fighter in 3D, but without a good team... I don't see a full mod happening. Then there's the whole copyright issues, and the possibility of being shut down at any moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying "This is a mod", because there's so much involved. I think I could possibly re-make the Dralthi Fighter in 3D, but without a good team... I don't see a full mod happening. Then there's the whole copyright issues, and the possibility of being shut down at any moment.

I don't see that as a problem, we were worried about that when we began Unknown Enemy what... almost 15 years ago? Unless EA opted to revive the IP I doubt they'd take exception to a project like that - quite the reverse, an active fan base keeps their property alive in peoples minds and therefore more likely to prove a source of income at a later date.
But yes a mod is a massive amount of work, not something to enter into if you're not willing to devote a lot of time to it.

Yeah, I've always been a single player nut, (great stories make great games!), .... I can create a few 3D Models, but there's no way I could produce a full mod. Star Citizen's models are WAYYY too detailed.

Don't be modest... Chris Roberts says he can put together a digital ship for Star Citizen for just $35-150,000! http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/27/chris-roberts-can-build-you-a-star-citizen-space-fighter-for-35/

The ship's price considers multiple factors: the time and money spent by his team to model the object and the care taken to ensure everything within that item functions realistically. Thirty-five thousand dollars, Roberts says, is the price associated with building a small space fighter, composed of animated dashboard displays and moving parts within and out. Larger carriers, like the kilometer-long Bengal Class ship featured in the prototype version of the game and showcased as part of the crowdfunding campaign, inch closer to the $150,000 mark.

Back