Wing Commander Prophecy problem

K

Keberzu

Hello. I have a problem with my Wing Commander Propechy game

I buyed the game about 5-6 years ago before I buyed my current computer (1600+ XP AMD, 512 Ram, Gf4Ti4400) I played it on my Celeron 300Mhz 128 Ram, Riva TNT 2. The game was moving excelent.

My operating system is Windows XP

Now with my computer the movies "skips". When I say skip I dosen't refer that I cannot see any of them. They do play but the speed varies from normal to 4X faster, like a sinus or cosinus graph. So movie accelerate, and then goes back to normal, and again acelerate, etc.

I have tried to disamble the audio acceleration. No succes. If I set No Acceleration the movie freeze and the computer freeze, and the game freeze needing to restart.
If I put Basic, Standard or Full Acceleration it is the same problem stated above.

I have also tried to apply the patch found here: https://www.wcnews.com/contact.shtml under "Movies Skips"
But following it I come to this page: http://www.wcrevival.de/hcl/
Where now there are many quick links and destinations.
Only thing I can see is the above "EXE" patch and the link to it but it is something totaly different as I can see (something about joystick) and it's just called ARMADADB.EXE when extracting, so you need to run it, not just put it in the Wing Commander folder and run the game as the description says in the previous page.

Now if anyone could help me I would greately apriciate it. Also as I buyed the game I would have expected to be an email or contact in case I have problems with it. Is there anything like this anywere?

Thank you again. And sorry I am unregistred but the activation link dosen't arrive to the email provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can download the video skip fix at http://download.wcnews.com/files/wcp/prophecy_video_fix.zip

Your account seems to be active and you should be able to log in and post now.

The were documents included with the game about contacting Origin for technical support, but that was meant for 1997. Not much software is actively supported for eight years, but we can help you get any Wing Commander related thing running here.

Thank you very much sir.

And I managed to download the movie patch and now it's moving as it should, being able to enjoy again the game and movie.

But I still have another problem now that I observed when I entered the actual game.

All the special effects in options are disambled. All of them have a red X and cannot be modified.

My video card is now a Gf4 Ti4400, and I do remember that my Riva TNT 2 back then was enabling me all the special effects except the last one.

Now I think that the game does not actualy recognize the new videocard as it certanely is much newer than the game. Is there any patch available that would make my Gf4 Ti4400 recognized by the game so I can use all the effects? Without these the game realy looks quite ugly.

Thanks again, especialy for the fast reply.

Updated: I have installed the High rez patch and now 4 of them are available to me.
Tho the Fog is still disambled. Was wondering if it is something for that thing too.
Also the movies are now very small, since I chosed the 1280x1024 resolution.
Any advices for that too?
P.S. I cannot edit my previous post, otherwise I wouldn't writed another one

Keberz said:
Updated: I have installed the High rez patch and now 4 of them are available to me.
Tho the Fog is still disambled. Was wondering if it is something for that thing too.
Also the movies are now very small, since I chosed the 1280x1024 resolution.
Any advices for that too?
P.S. I cannot edit my previous post, otherwise I wouldn't writed another one

This is because you are using the Direct3D mode and not Glide. The game was made to ideally run with 3dfx cards so the only option to get all the effects turned on using modern vid cards is to use a glide wrapper (emulates 3dfx).

The highres patch doesnt resize the movies. they are playing at the same resolution as they did originaly except that now your screen has a higher res than the video.

Like AD mentioned, the high res patch will not scale the movies up. They will be in the smaller window. A Riva TNT would not have been able to do the Fog effect. Lens Flare was also not originally available without fan patches for non-3dfx cards. You can find more information on applying a glide wrapper at
https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6525 or https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6596 Once you apply the wrapper, you can then select 3dfx glide mode in Prophecy's launcher program.

Last edited by a moderator:
After checking the links and downloading the emulator, I ranned it.
Now on the luncher I selected the new option 3dfx Glide. But there is no difference between the options I had before and the new one I have now (Fog is still disembled, all other I can check).
I have letted the global setting for the emulation

Can't install Prophecy

i actually posted this question in the wrong forum, sorry if it pissed anybody off.

i have a weird problem with prophecy: i can't install it. a mesage window pops up saying i don't have enough disk space. can anyone help?

my pc is a pentium3 800, 256ram, 20gb hd (16gb free) and a geforce 2 mx400.

can't install prophecy

sorry, forgot again. my os is windows xp.

Han, before you install the game. have you tried setting the compatability mode of the WC:p installer to win95 or 98? If not right-click on the executable and click properties and then click the compatability tab. Once installed you should do the same for the game executable. Let us know if that doesn't do the trick. (and you may need to use the patch here at the CIC to get the videos to play at the right speed after that)

thanks a lot AD, that definitely did it. got the patch for the videos too. the game is great, wonder why they don't make games like these anymore? too bad there isn't a multiplayer option for wing commander, that would be really something. again, thanks.

Han2 said:
too bad there isn't a multiplayer option for wing commander, that would be really something. again, thanks.

There's 6 player multiplayer in WC: Armada Proving Grounds add-on. It's now playable over the net with HCLs patch and Dosbox. And Prophecy for Gamboy advance has multiplaye over the link thing. (although I heard that part doesnt work on the DS)

I did tried what was told in here and in the links but I still cannot make the Wing Commander use the 3dfx (It is selected from the lunch window)

So what happened when you tried some of those things? Did you get the 3dfx logo? Could you run the 3dfx test? When you open up the launcher again, is 3dfx already selected?

Yes when I opened the luncher again 3dfx is selected but I cannot see the 3dfx logo when the PROPECHY text is displayed before it get's into the game...
I kinda don't want to try some things that would screw the options and need to restart as I almost finished again the game :D (even if its for the 5th time, it's still rocks)

Prophecy is still awesome to look at. Those lovely Glide effects are the reason why I still have 2 Voodoo2's SLI'd inside my PC. I just let my nVidia card have a night off and go 3DFX. Yummy!
Voodoo2's are very easy to get working in XP now if you are prepared to spend a bit of time. The cards are very cheap to get off ebay and I've never seen a wrapper that does as good a job as the real thing. If you've got a PCI slot free maybe worth thinking about? (feel free to shout me down guys!)

Keberz said:
Yes when I opened the luncher again 3dfx is selected but I cannot see the 3dfx logo when the PROPECHY text is displayed before it get's into the game...
I kinda don't want to try some things that would screw the options and need to restart as I almost finished again the game :D (even if its for the 5th time, it's still rocks)

Well, you can just copy out all your savegame files and everything associated with that. What about the 3dfx test? Reinstalling things, both the game and the glide wrapper, might not be a bad way to go. If you've applied any fan patches, it's best to start fresh to identify the problem.

i have a similar problem. i installed the high res patch and set the res to 1280x1024. as said before the movies are smaller, but when i get to the mission the cockpit hud is scrunched up into the top left corner of the screen. everything else is fine, the the res is as it should be but just the hud (shields, weapons, targeting reticle) is all moved to the top left. i have windows xp with sp. any ideas?

Does the high res patch support 1280x1024 in its current form? Have you tried 800x or 1024x? Try matching your windows resolution to the resolution you select in the high res patch's launcher.

Back